Appetizer & Snacks, Gluten Free and/or Paleo, Main Dish

Sweet Plantains

May 23, 2012
Sweet-Plantains
When Steve played with the Mets in Florida, he fell in love with Sweet Plantains.  See, there are a lot of Dominicans in the Mets organization {really in baseball, overall}.  Because of this, there was always rice, beans, and plantains for lunch and dinner during Spring Training.  There was a point where Steve got sick of rice and beans, but he never stopped liking the plantains.  I mean, how could he?  It’s a plantain sautéed in butter and sugar.  It’s dessert that you’re able to eat with your meal.
This recipe is super simple and can be enjoyed at any time during the day.  It would be great as a side dish with your lunch or dinner, or can be served as dessert with some ice cream or whipped cream.

If you’ve never had, or heard of, a plantain before, they look similar to a banana.  Except plantains are ripe and ready to eat when they are black.  Plantains are more starchy than bananas, and are rarely eaten raw.  You really need to cook them to get the most out of their flavor.  Plantains are a staple food in areas such as Latin America and Mexico, and are pretty much eaten every day with every meal.
To make the sweet plantains, all you need are plantains, butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. The vanilla and the cinnamon aren’t necessary, but I think they add an extra sweetness and flavor.  Feel free to play around with quantities with the ingredients, adding and taking any away to satisfy your own taste.
Enjoy!

Sweet Plantains
Serves: About 4 People
2 Large, Ripe Plantains, Cut into bite-size pieces
4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
½ teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
Pinch Cinnamon
Melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat.  Add the plantains and sauté until they have softened and turn golden brown on both sides, about 5-7 minutes.  Add the brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon and toss the plantains.  Continue sautéing until the sugar has caramelized and the plantains are completely coated, about 2 more minutes.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
These last up to 3 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator.  Re-heat them in a sauté pan with a little bit of butter.
Recipe inspired by Tyler Florence

Paleo Blueberry Muffins {Gluten Free, Grain Free, Refined Sugar Free, Dairy Free} & WINNER ANNOU...
Lavender Macarons
Basic Buttercream (Step-by-Step Tutorial with Pictures!)

• Reply DessertForTwo May 23, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I loooooovvvve plantains! Fell in love with them when I lived in Costa Rica.  They’re great anytime of day! Mmm now I’m craving!

• Reply Melissa Maruca May 23, 2012 at 2:26 pm

mmmm! Look’s gooey and tasty! I don’t think I have every had one before but they sound like they would taste delicious with vanilla ice cream or possibly drizzled with caramel or chocolate!

• Reply Anna @ hiddenponies May 23, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Funny, I was just talking about plantains with someone the other day saying how I had never worked with them – this looks like a delicious way to start!

• Reply Averie Cooks May 23, 2012 at 4:56 pm

love plantains and make them when we’re in Aruba. I love this recipe; butter and sugar and cinnamon. YUM!

• Reply Paula Kelly-Bourque May 23, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Second post this week I’ve seen on plantains and yours look wonderful too.

• Reply ATasteOfMadness May 24, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I have only had plantains once and they were great. But they didn’t look nearly as good as these, yum!

• Reply Sallysbakingaddiction May 24, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Khrissy, I just looooove plantains.  I had them friend in Miami earlier this year.  I love the addition of cinnamon.  I’m a cinnamon + sugar fiend!

• Reply Brizzle May 28, 2012 at 7:47 pm

My Puerto Rican grandmother would be turning in her grave at the addition of sugar- she always said that it was like pouring captain morgan into a nice bacardi.

Anyways, if anyone wants to stay a bit healthier, they can be done in oil or butter, and if the plantains are appropriately ripe, they won’t need any sugar at all. Pan caramelization… yum!

These do look delicious for a dessert… maybe on some sweet coffee ice cream or in a crepe. omnomnom.

• Reply Bridget May 29, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I love plantains and order entree out based on them, but have never made them at home.  I can’t believe how easy and delicious this looks!! Thank you for demystifying Plantains! I can’t wait to make them now!

• Reply Bob R June 6, 2012 at 3:22 pm

An interesting twist on Plantains. My wife makes a more Latin version (http://feedyourfussyeater.wordpress.com/2012/05/25/tostones-recipe/). I’ve been looking for a way to kick them up a little and cinnamon and sugar seems like a great way since I love sweets and cinnamon (http://feedyourfussyeater.wordpress.com/2012/05/16/cinnamon-takes-a-back-seat-to-no-babka/)

• Reply Bob R June 20, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I was a bit skeptical of a sweet plantain, but because I had seen this, I decided to try something new with leftover ingredients from another recipe. I was making Honey Glazed Roasted Carrots and used the leftover honey mix to dip the plantain in. To my surprise, it was actually pretty good. Now I definitely have to try this recipe.

• Reply Anna October 1, 2012 at 6:43 am

would it work if plantains were substituted with bananas?

• Reply Krissi Kendall December 24, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Making these tonight for Noche Buena.  Can’t wait to try them as I don’t typically like sweet plantains but these look too delicious to pass up!