Breads & Biscuits, Breakfast & Brunch, Buttercream & Frosting

No Yeast, Quick Cinnamon Rolls

April 12, 2012
I have some news.  We’re moving to Kentucky!  Northern Kentucky to be exact.  Florence, Kentucky to be even more exact.
These past couple weeks have been pretty crazy.  We packed up from Florida and drove cross-country back home to San Diego, all in 4 days.  Now were back home in San Diego and love it!  But, it only lasts so long.  At the end of the month were packing up and moving to Kentucky for 4 months.  Then, back home again!  I know.  A little crazy.  But who said the life of a baseball-players wife was easy :).  Fun, yes.  But definitely not easy.
We’re really excited to be moving to that part of this beautiful country.  We’ve never visited the Northeast before, so it’s going to be a great summer experiencing a new part of the USA!  And what’s great is that Steve will have games in Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and even Toronto, Canada.  It will definitely be an adventure!
Before we start on this adventure, we’re really loving the days we get to spend at home in San Diego.  I’ve, of course, been baking up some fun items for my family, but one thing I haven’t made {which I need to make soon!} are these No Yeast, Quick Cinnamon Rolls.  They’re a new favorite of mine that I recently discovered while living in Florida.
I love making Cinnamon Rolls, but I hate having to wait for the dough to rise, especially when you want to enjoy them for breakfast or brunch.  Well this recipe is just the answer!  It’s a recipe that involves no yeast – So no fussing with waiting for the dough to rise and having to wait the extra time.  The dough takes no more than 10 minutes to throw together, and within a total of 20 minutes you have the cinnamon rolls in the oven.  Pretty cool, right?!
These Cinnamon Rolls are just as delicious as a yeasted-dough recipe.  Don’t think your skimping on taste because you’re skimping on time.  These will be your new, go-to Cinnamon Roll recipe.  Especially when you’re short in time.  Enjoy!

No Yeast, Quick Cinnamon Rolls
2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, Melted
2 tablespoons Sugar
1 tablespoon Cinnamon
For the Glaze
About 2 cups Confectioners Sugar
About 1 tablespoon Milk
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.  Line 1 baking sheet with parchment paper, or a silicone mat; set aside until needed.
To make the dough, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, in the bowl of a stand mixer.  Add the milk and melted butter and mix until a dough starts to form.  Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and begin kneading the dough with your hands until a smooth, elastic dough ball forms.  If the dough starts to become too sticky, add more flour a little bit at a time.
Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a large rectangle that is about ¼-inch thick.  Brush the top surface of the dough with the melted butter for the filling.  Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and then sprinkle over the top of the butter; being sure to cover the complete surface of the dough.
Starting with the shorter end of the rectangle, slowly roll the dough up into a long, tight log.  Flour the edges of a sharp knife, and carefully cut the log into 1 to 1½-inch thick rolls.  To cut the rolls, rock your knife back and forth, being careful not to press too much into the dough.
Place the rolls on the prepared baking sheet, and bake the rolls until the dough starts to turn a light golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.  Remove the rolls from the oven, and allow them to cool for 1 minute.  Transfer the rolls to a cooling rack to cool completely.
While the rolls are cooling, make the glaze.  Combine the confectioners sugar and the milk in a medium bowl.  Whisk until the glaze is lump-free and is thick, liquid consistency.  If the glaze is too thick, add more milk a little bit at a time, and if it too thin, add more confectioners sugar.
To serve, drizzle the glaze over each cinnamon roll.  If you are not serving the rolls immediately, wait to glaze the rolls right before eating.  These last up to 4 days in a sealed container.
Recipe from Smith & Ratliff.

4th of July Vanilla Bean Buttermilk Baked Donuts
Pocket Pies
Blueberry Almond Cupcakes

• Reply Blog is the New Black April 12, 2012 at 11:47 am

No yeast?  I’m sold!

• Reply Erin @ Gobananasblog April 12, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I’m guessing you all are moving to Louisville, KY for the Bats or Northern KY for the Reds?  If you are in Louisville, let me know if you need info about anything!

• Reply Julie @ Table for Two April 12, 2012 at 12:29 pm

oh wow, that’s awesome!!! have so much fun! love these cinnamon rolls — even without the yeast they look so doughy & soft and fluffy! this is definitely a must make :)

• Reply Cassie @ Bake Your Day April 12, 2012 at 1:31 pm

These look amazing, I love cinnamon rolls in any fashion. Good luck with the move, safe travels!

• Reply DessertForTwo April 12, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Kentucky?! You’re going to LOVE it! That’s our dream final desitnation.  We’re almost half-way there now, haha.
    We can co-miserate about moving together. Brian is already gone, but my move date is 3 weeks away :/

• Reply Audra April 12, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Woah aren’t you a little jet setter! I am glad you are getting closer to New York, but I can’t say Kentucky is too close. BUT- please let me know if you and Steve with be in Pennsylvania! I’d love to come and see a game!

Also- I love anything that says cinnamon rolls, and I think every baker needs to have lots of options in her recipe book. Between these hour ones, and my 90 minute ones, I think I’m getting there. Love them!

• Reply Emily @ She Makes and Bakes April 12, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I drove through Kentcky in September and October, and it’s surprisingly beautiful! So different from the West. There are more trees than you would believe. Love these quick rolls. They look great!

• Reply Mai Nguyen April 12, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I still haven’t made homemade from scratch cinnamon rolls. I always put it off because I’m afraid to work with yeast. But these sound and look amazing! I will definitely be adding this to my “to-make list”.

Enjoy your time with your family! Safe travels to Kentucky. (:

• Reply Averie Cooks April 12, 2012 at 4:07 pm

love that these are no-yeast and a FAST recipe to make!  woot!

• Reply Singerinkitchen April 12, 2012 at 7:00 pm

WOW, how easy and delicious! Makes my pumpkin cinnamon rolls look dim. I need to try this soon!

• Reply Melissa Maruca April 12, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I WANT!
    ooo oooo you know what you should make and give all to me…. pumpkin bread 😉 or coffee cake :) why… because i love them both!
    OH and also… I woke up this morning totally fiending for some CRACK PIE!

• Reply Katie Farrell April 12, 2012 at 8:22 pm

My hubby LOVES cinnamon rolls, but I never make them from scratch because they take forever to rise, etc… This is the best recipe ever! I’m making them stat! Thanks girl!! xo

• Reply healthyfoodietravels April 12, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Wow! That sounds like a mighty tumultuous life, but I bet it’s also great to see so many places :)

• Reply nancymolszwski April 12, 2012 at 9:56 pm

These look…. incredible

• Reply Five finicky eaters April 12, 2012 at 10:50 pm

wowow! I once made Paula Deans for my daughter’s class and they took forever and she has begged me to make them again…I think I will give your recipe a whirl!

• Reply Stephsbitebybite April 12, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Yay for no yeast!! Sometimes yeast is such a pain! These look so incredible!

• Reply Emily @ Life on Food April 12, 2012 at 11:56 pm

This could be a very bad thing for me to know.  The rising part makes me not make cinnamon rolls many times. I love them to death and have a hard to not eating every last one. With this no wait recipe I could be in some trouble.

• Reply Paula April 13, 2012 at 1:13 am

Enjoy your time in San Diego and then your stay in Florence, Kentucky. You make these Cindy buns for your new neighbours and you will make lifelong friends! They look delicious.

• Reply Jeannie Tay April 13, 2012 at 1:28 am

This looks so delicious and really took so little time to bake? Amazing!

• Reply Elizabeth April 13, 2012 at 1:55 am

These look so delicious and easy!

• Reply Sweet as Sugar Cookies April 13, 2012 at 1:58 am

I just made these this weekend too and was totally amazed at how close it is to the actual yeast version.

• Reply Myfudo April 14, 2012 at 8:30 am

I love cinnamon rolls for breakfast…This is delicious Krissy!

• Reply Cat April 15, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Wow these look amazing. I have been looking for a good no-yeast recipe for ages now for all those times that the craving hits and there’s no time to wait. Looking forward to trying this

• Reply Meki April 16, 2012 at 1:40 am

Wow! I can make this after work and eat for breakfast! This is really a good recipe!

• Reply CheeryO April 17, 2012 at 2:44 am

These turned out absolutely delicious and moist!

• Reply Krissy's Creations April 19, 2012 at 4:22 am

So glad to hear you made them!

• Reply Krissy's Creations April 19, 2012 at 4:23 am

Good idea!

• Reply Krissy's Creations April 19, 2012 at 4:24 am

I think I’ll do just that!

• Reply Krissy's Creations April 19, 2012 at 4:24 am

Yes!  They really do bake in no time!

• Reply Slenderbrunette April 20, 2012 at 6:54 am

Would it work if I scale this recipe down to 2 rolls and pop it in the microwave?

• Reply Krissy's Creations April 21, 2012 at 3:11 am

Do you mean bake them in the microwave?  Unfortunately I’m not sure if that would work or not.  I’ve never baked anything in the microwave so I don’t quite know if these rolls would turn out.  Sorry about that!  I think scaling them down to 2 might work out, you just need to be sure to keep the correct proportions of ingredients.  Good luck!

• Reply Guest April 30, 2012 at 12:06 am

When cutting the cinnamon rolls try using a serrated knife. It works out really well and doesn’t squash them :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations May 1, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Thanks for the advice :)

• Reply Jessica Locke May 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm

These were delicious!  Thanks for sharing!  I don’t think that they are nearly as good as the last yeast rolls I had, BUT, these were quick and tasty and they are a great option when you don’t have time/don’t want to wait!  Thanks!

• Reply Skicutie44 May 21, 2012 at 4:06 am

how many calories are in these? they look fantastic!

• Reply Melanie May 28, 2012 at 7:46 pm

These are amazing! Thank you! The only thing I did differently was a trick my grandma taught me. Instead of using a knife to cut the rolls you grab a piece of string. Slide the string around the whole roll and have the ends meet at the top. Pull tight and it cuts it nice and straight! :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations May 30, 2012 at 4:50 am

Unfortunately, I do not know how many calories these have.  However, I believe you can easily calculate the calories online.

• Reply Madismom October 7, 2012 at 2:06 pm

how much extra flour would you say you add? I am a pretty good baker and this dough was more like a think pancake batter. I thought the flour to milk ratio seemed a bit odd.

• Reply Barb4deer October 23, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Wow – I just made these !! YUMMY!!  Altho I DO prefer the risen-dough type, this is great when you don’t have the time!  I made 3 just for ME, and don’t think I can EAT them all ! (no do NOT try, silly!!)  I have cut the rest and put in freezer on wax Paper, for instant cooking, and keeping some icing in the fridge! Talk about Convenience Food!?  No Pop the Can for ME now! Thanks!  (oh the leftover Ends, I made into Biscuit shapes, also froze those, for Biscuits with a touch of Cinna-flava!)

• Reply Barb4deer October 23, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I made mine using the specially imported FRENCH calories – very small ones!  LOL !  ~who is COUNTING !!??~

• Reply Katie Tam Devine November 3, 2012 at 4:53 pm

These were so fun to make and so delicious!  I threw my yeast away last week after too many hours and failed trys at yeast breakfast breads.  This one is a keeper. Made the nicest dough, used my french pin to roll it out. Perfect ratio of ingredients.  I only changed one thing and added pecans to the icing.  DELISIOUSO!  Thank you Krissy!

• Reply Angie Johnson November 4, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I just made these for my daughter and husband and my daughter ate a whole roll.  This is great since she pretty much never eats much of anything.  I have to agree with a previous comment, the dough reminded me of a thick pancake batter.  I had to add a lot of extra flour, but they turned out great. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Anonymous November 6, 2012 at 1:08 am

You should try river bend amusement park

• Reply Kate December 17, 2012 at 2:55 am

I’m with Madismom.  I had to add about another cup of flour to get the dough to a workable state.  The pancake batter statement was accurate.  After adding the extra required flour, they turned out delicious!  I call them Cinnamon Biscuits.

• Reply Shannon December 17, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I cut my cinnamon rolls with dental floss.  Works like a charm and you never have to worry about squishing them and get a great cut every time.  :) Just bring it up under your log then cross the floss like you’re going to tie a knot and pull them across and it cuts it brilliantly.

• Reply Scott Walters December 31, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I noticed a lot of people having to add a lot of extra flour and wanted to help out a bit. A lot of bread recipes for pastries and things give you an aprox amount of liquid to add but the best thing is to add it slowly. You ably ever really need about half of the liquid that the recipe calls for. Hope this helps :). Super Yummy by the way!

• Reply Cthunter January 28, 2013 at 10:38 pm

me and my aunt made them and she didint think that they would come out good without the yeast and i told her not to worry and when they were done she loved and said we can make them for my little cousins lol very good :)

• Reply Tanyaschroeder February 20, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Just stumbled upon these lovely cinnamon rolls and noticed your first sentence!  We are practically  neighbors!  I live in Cincinnati!  Love it when I find locals!

• Reply Nicole February 24, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Definitely too much milk, 2 and a quarter cups would work best. Otherwise delicious!

• Reply Sarah March 10, 2013 at 12:59 am

you should add a pin app. i save all my recipes on pinterest!!

• Reply Dawn March 12, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I am having the same problem. Would love to know how to correct this. I am a “just past novice” stage and bake homemade to feed our large family healthier – I just found your site and so far I love it…this is my first recipe to try.

• Reply Dawn March 12, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Added A LOT of flour and wheat germ..they tasted like sweet biscuits (but I read that on most of the recipes without yeast). 1/2 the icing and we ate ’em all.

• Reply Jen Hames March 18, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I made these last night and they were really good. I substituted 1 cup of cake flour for 1 cup of regular flour and doubled the sugar/cinnamon filling. Next time I’ll take the advice about slowly adding the milk, because they were really wet and I had to add a lot of extra flour. And I think I’ll quadruple the sugar/cinnamon (because I love sugar and cinnamon!). Thanks so much for sharing – they turned out really yummy!

• Reply Karen Harris Johnson March 28, 2013 at 11:52 am

My son asked for cinnamon rolls for breakfast at 9pm last night, needless to say i was
    not staying up til midnight waiting for dough to rise and not wanting to wake up at
    4 am to make sure they would be ready before school. I frantically scanned pinterest
    and stumbled onto to yours. I am sitting here drinking my coffee and typing this as the
    rolls are cooling waiting for the icing. Thank you my son will be happy when I go and
    wake him shortly

• Reply Krissy's Creations March 18, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Great recipe! I have done these quite a few times, kids love them. I tweaked the Milk to Flour ratio and comes out perfect. I have even used this recipe for instant Chocolate Babkas! If you have not had babkas… It is like cinnamon roll had a baby with a chocolate bar!