Breads & Biscuits, Daring Bakers

Dutch Crunch Bread {Daring Bakers}

March 28, 2012
Have any of you gone to the Boudin Bakery in San Francisco.  I know they have many locations up and down the coast of California that sell the same products {and are really delicious!}.  But have you gone to the main location at Fisherman’s Warf?  It’s bread heaven.  There is tons of fresh baked bread all around you.  Just the smell brings you in.  Then you order a grilled cheese or soup in a bread bowl for lunch, and it tastes incredible because you can actually taste the fresh and authentic quality of the bread.  And you don’t stop at lunch; you buy a sourdough loaf and dutch crunch bread to bring home for later enjoyment.  I know that’s what we do.
I might be overselling it, but I love it.  My husband and I have always loved it.  And we will always will :).
We’ll this week I made my own fresh Dutch Crunch Bread.
Sara and Erica of Baking JDs were our March 2012 Daring Baker hostesses! Sara & Erica challenged us to make Dutch Crunch bread, a delicious sandwich bread with a unique, crunchy topping.  Sara and Erica also challenged us to create a sandwich with our bread!
Dutch Crunch Bread quickly became one of our favorite breads to pick up from Boudin Bakery.  It’s a soft white bread, topped with a crunchy topping made from yeast, sugar, and rice flour.  The crunchy surface comes from slathering the yeasty mixture on unbaked bread.  While the bread bakes, the yeast activates and creates this amazing exterior.  It’s truly unique.
If you love fresh baked bread, you will love this bread.  And don’t think it’s any harder than baking normal sandwich bread or rolls.  It’s just as easy!
You’ve got to give this bread a try.  You will fall in love with it.  Especially when you make a delicious, warm sandwich with it.  Enjoy!

Dutch Crunch Bread
Makes: 6 large rolls (you can divide the dough into 8, 10, or 12 pieces to make smaller rolls)
Soft White Bread Rolls
2 packets Active Dry Yeast
1 ¼ cups Warm Water
2 tablespoons Sugar
2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
½ teaspoon Salt
1 ½ cups White Rice Flour
To make the bread, stir together the yeast, water, milk, and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer.  Let stand for 5 minutes until bubbles start to form on the surface.
Attach the bread hook to the stand mixer and add the oil, salt, and flour.  Mix on medium-low speed until a dough ball starts to form.  Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until a smooth, elastic dough ball forms.
Place the dough ball in a large, greased bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap and place in a turned-off oven to rise until its doubled in size, about 1 hour.
When the dough is almost done rising, make the dutch crunch topping.  In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients (active dry yeast, water, sugar, oil, salt, and rice flour).  Whisk vigorously until the mixture is smooth and has a thick, paste-like consistency, thick enough to hold its shape, but thin enough to slowly drip down when you hold the whisk above the bowl.  Allow the topping to sit for 15 minutes.
When the dough has doubled in size, transfer it to a lightly floured surface.  Dust the complete surface of the dough with flour.  Divide the dough into 6 pieces.  If you want to make smaller rolls, divide the dough into 8,10, or 10 pieces.  Roll each piece of dough into a ball.  Place on a parchment-lined (or silicone-lined) baking sheet.  Place a clean towel over the baking sheet, and let sit for 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 380 degrees F.
Using a spoon, cover each roll completely with a thick layer of the dutch crunch topping.  Be generous with the topping, you want a thick layer so it’s able to crack properly.
Place the rolls in the oven to bake until the cracked tops turn a golden brown, about 30-40 minutes.  Allow the rolls to cool slightly before eating.
These last up to 1 week in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
The recipe for the Dutch Crunch topping came from Rose Levy Beranbaum’s The Bread Bible.  The recipe for the Bread Rolls also came from The Bread Bible and an adaptation of a recipe found on Baking Bites.

Cinnamon Roll Scones
Fresh Whole Wheat Pasta
Fresh Fruit Tart with Pastry Cream

• Reply Zee March 28, 2012 at 10:50 am

That is a very pretty bread! I love the brown patches on it..

• Reply Averie Cooks March 28, 2012 at 2:23 pm

The bread looks marvelous and San Fran has SUCH great restaurants…there are just too many to choose from!

• Reply Mary Ellen @ Pâte à Chew March 28, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Oh my gosh, this looks SO GOOD!  I have to try it soon!!

• Reply Emily @ She Makes and Bakes March 28, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I’ve never heard of this before, but it looks great. I’m going to have to pick up some rice flour and give it a try for the next time I make bread. Thanks!

• Reply Connie March 28, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Oh my, this looks perfect for baking this weekend.  I’ve visited the Boudin Bakery at Fisherman’s Wharf, it was a quite an experience.  I agree with another reader that the restaurants in San Francisco are wonderful, I never dine at chain restaurants when I visit.  Local fare is delicious.

• Reply Kiri W. March 28, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I love Dutch crunch bread – no surprise since I grew up in Germany, 2 hours from the Dutch border, and love crusty bread :)  Looks perfect!

• Reply Jennie March 28, 2012 at 5:56 pm

This bread looks amazing. The crispy crust is calling my name.

• Reply Cassie @ Bake Your Day March 28, 2012 at 7:04 pm

These look awesome, and that last photo…oh goodness, I bet these are perfect for a sandwich, yum!

• Reply Jen March 28, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Your bread and sandwich look delicious!

• Reply Erica Schroeder March 28, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Wonderful job with your Dutch crunch rolls and sandwich! Reading about Boudin immediately brought those delicious smells to my mind… might have to go pick up some sourdough later.

• Reply Julie @ Table for Two March 28, 2012 at 9:48 pm

This looks amazing and flaky good! I didn’t know Boudin Bakery was in Fisherman’s Wharf, I was just there last year. I didn’t pay attention :( boo! I’ll have to go back then 😉

• Reply Carol Anne @ Rock Salt March 28, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Your bread looks lovely – but how lucky you are to have such a lovely bakery nearby for those days when you haven’t made any of your own :)

• Reply Maria @ Orchard Bloom March 28, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I’ve never heard of this before. Looks great!

• Reply Elizabeth March 28, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I love the crackled top of this bread!

• Reply Emily @ Life on Food March 29, 2012 at 12:47 am

That was one of my favorite parts of San Francisco. The museum part was so fascinating.

• Reply Audra March 29, 2012 at 1:02 am

Krissy this bread looks to die for! love the crunchy top!

• Reply Choc Chip Uru March 29, 2012 at 4:55 am

Your crunch bread looks fantastic – what delicious goldenness 😀

Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Maple Raisin Ice Cream

• Reply Baker Street March 29, 2012 at 10:16 am

What a gorgeous looking bread! I love a good crunchy top :)

• Reply Cher March 29, 2012 at 11:57 am

Lovely rolls – I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to pick up a bunch of these fresh from a S.F. bakery.

• Reply ATasteofMadness March 29, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Oh, anything bread is a-okay with me. These look great!

• Reply Casey March 29, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Yum! This bread looks fantastic, it looks like it have just the *perfect* amount of crunch to make a hearty sandwich

• Reply Kimiko DeLaVega March 30, 2012 at 3:14 am

Just found you through Jessica’s shout-out to you (from How Sweet It Is).  I LOVE dutch crunch bread…it reminds me of my childhood.  My mom always packed us a lunch to take to school, and she would make our sandwiches with dutch crunch bread.  After all these years, I totally forgot about dutch crunch bread, and can’t believe it’s been so long since I’ve eaten it.  I will DEFINITELY be trying this recipe!   Thanks so much for sharing! :)

• Reply Valerie Brunmeier April 1, 2012 at 12:56 am

I live in Northern CA and yep, I’ve been to Boudin in SF. You are right about the soup in the bread bowl. Divine! These look perfect!!!

• Reply Let Me Eat Cake April 3, 2012 at 4:50 pm

love the crunchy top to this bread and I love Boudin in SF how could you not you’re practically carried in by that smell of hot fresh bread!