Buttercream & Frosting, Cakes, Desserts, Fruit, Milk Bar Mondays

Milk Bar Mondays – Apple Pie Layer Cake

February 20, 2012
Last Wednesday morning I woke up and realized that I had to make this whole cake, plus photograph it, all in one day.  See the reason I had to do this on that Wednesday was because on Thursday morning we left for Steve’s sisters wedding.  We weren’t going to get back until late Sunday night, which leaves no time to bake the cake.  For some reason I totally misplaced the time and thought I had more of it.  But I didn’t. So I woke up Wednesday morning and made this complete cake – all 6 components of it.
I made the Brown Butter Cake, Liquid Cheesecake, Pie Crumbs, Apple Cider Soak, Apple Filling, and Pie Crumb Frosting, all within a few hours.  Then I assembled the cake, let it chill for a couple hours (your supposed to freeze it for 12 hours but of course I couldn’t wait), and then photographed it.  And because I needed to reward myself, I ate a big piece of this Apple Pie Layer Cake.
Wow!  That’s all I’ve got to say about this cake.  Wow!  It was incredible.  It was sweet, salty, buttery, crumbly, soft, rich, and smooth – Seriously, it really hit every flavor and texture perfectly.
This recipe was chosen by Nicole of Sweet Peony for Milk Bar Mondays {where we bake our way through the Momofuku Milk Bar Cookbook}.  Head on over to her blog to view the recipe of this wonderful Apple Pie Layer Cake.

Don’t forget to check out the others girls’ version of this cake:
Cassie from Bake Your Day
Audra from The Baker Chick
Erin from Big Fat Baker
Nicole from Sweet Peony
Jacqueline from The Dusty Baker

Baked Oatmeal with Fruit
Blueberry Honey Cornmeal Muffins
Cinnamon Rolls

• Reply Audra February 20, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Your cake looks absolutely lovely! I cannot believe you threw this together in one day. You are one talented lady in the kitchen little missy! I hope Steve’s sister’s wedding and all the cupcakes turned out great!

• Reply bakeyourday February 20, 2012 at 12:29 pm

This looks amazing! You cut a nice big piece for your photo and I wish I would have done that too. This cake looks amazing and you are a rock star for doing it in one day!  Hope the wedding was great!

• Reply BigFatBaker February 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Gorgeous! I wish I could have eaten my cake later the same day I made it too. I made it, froze it over night then let it defrost in the fridge while I was out of town for 2 nights. Still totally amazing but not nearly as pretty! Great job!!

• Reply Sally February 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm

This is a GORGEOUS cake!  You are so talented. it looks perfect!

• Reply Maureen February 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm

An absolute mountain of deliciousness!

• Reply Jacqueline February 20, 2012 at 4:33 pm

WOW – I’m AMAZED that you did this all in one day! It took me THREE :) Yours looks perfect and I bet it was such an awesome rush to make and EAT it within hours.  Brava.

• Reply Averie February 20, 2012 at 4:39 pm

This looks so good and I love the idea that you ladies are working your way through the book!

• Reply Stephsbitebybite February 20, 2012 at 5:28 pm

So gorgeous!! Cak and pie together as one! How could this be wrong?

• Reply Kiri W. February 20, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Oh man, this looks like such a fantastic cake! Decadent and just… oh, just hand me over a slice 😉

• Reply nicole {sweet peony} February 20, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Oooh pretty, Krissy! Great job for doing this in one day! I did all the cake stuff in one day and then took pictures the next. You must’ve been busy! Hope you had a great time at the wedding!

• Reply Julie @ Table for Two February 20, 2012 at 8:03 pm

This looks delicious! Props to you for doing it in one day — that is crazy impressive!  Hope you had a wonderful time at the wedding :)

• Reply Gerry @ Foodness Gracious February 20, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Well for having so little time to do all of that, you done an outstanding job, seriously. That cake looks Presidential!! I love the brown butter. This Milk Bar Monday shenanigans is making me kinda crave sweets right now 😉
    Take care…

• Reply Sandra February 21, 2012 at 1:56 am

Lots of steps to this but it looks well worth it. I’d love to try it.

• Reply lauren@thetalkingkitchen February 21, 2012 at 3:21 am

6 layers in 1 day?! impressive,vas are your photos, way to go! any leftovers?

• Reply Anna @ hiddenponies February 21, 2012 at 4:49 am

Wow, what an impressive cake! Love all the flavours/textures going on here! Hope you had a great time at the wedding :)

• Reply amy donovan February 21, 2012 at 3:18 pm

looks absolutely gorgeous, krissy! you did a wonderful job – kudos to you!

• Reply Lauren at Keep it Sweet February 21, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I can’t believe you did that all in one day!  Amazing job!!

• Reply Melissa Maruca February 23, 2012 at 12:18 am

Looks SOOOO good!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 23, 2012 at 7:14 am

No leftovers!  The cake was gone SO fast!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 23, 2012 at 7:14 am

Exactly! Lots of steps, but worth every one :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 23, 2012 at 7:15 am

Thanks Gerry :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 23, 2012 at 7:15 am

Thanks Averie!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 23, 2012 at 7:15 am

I wish I could’ve done it in 3 :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 23, 2012 at 7:15 am

Thanks Sally!

• Reply Rhondi February 27, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Hi Krissy! I’m your newest follower and just wanted to say all your creations look delicious and pretty. This apple pie layer cake would be eaten up fast in my home. I can’t wait to browse all of your recipes. Hope you get a chance to come by my blog too :)

• Reply Aly ~ Cooking In Stilettos March 5, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Now THAT is impressive!  Love love love the idea of making this (and I have to confess – I really need the courage to bake something out of Momofuku Milk Bar -for now it’s on the coffee table just posing pretty).

• Reply Mlbotwinick September 14, 2012 at 2:39 am

I’m planning on making this on Saturday, all in one day. Any tips??

• Reply Krissy's Creations October 20, 2014 at 5:55 pm

So good to know you don’t HAVE to freeze it. I was panicking how I would find room in my freezer! Do you think it was harmed at all?