Cookies, Desserts

Homemade Ladyfingers

February 3, 2012
Homemade-Ladyfingers-4
Do you want to know what I do sooooo much?  Like a lot.  A lot, a lot, a lot.  I start baking an item and when I’ve almost half way through I realize I am out of an ingredient that I need.  Or I’ve already started cooking dinner and I swore that I had everything on hand but then I notice I am out of multiple ingredients.  Yep, I do that.  All the time!   At that point, I either stop what I’m doing and go to the store, or just wing it and make due with what I have on hand.  Or, I get my wonderful husband to go the store while I keep working, so I don’t loose time :).

A couple weeks ago I wanted to make Tiramisu.  I thought I had some ladyfingers in the cupboard, but of course, it turns out I didn’t have any on hand.  I quickly went to the store but they didn’t have any.  I went to another store and they didn’t sell ladyfingers either.  Ugh!  What was I going to do now?

Duh, Krissy, make them from scratch!  Why didn’t I think of that earlier?  I make pretty much everything from scratch, but for some reason I never heard of people making homemade ladyfingers for their tiramisu so I didn’t think about it myself.
Turns out homemade ladyfingers couldn’t be easier!  They are pretty much just a soft, sponge cake, but shaped in the form of a long, thin cookie.  And they are so quick to bake!  I whipped up a batch and baked them all within 20 minutes.

From this point on, I will never buy ladyfingers again.  And you shouldn’t either.  Enjoy!

Homemade Ladyfingers

Makes: About 25 Cookies

4 ounces Egg Whites
½ cup Sugar, Divided
3 Egg Yolks
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
¾ cup All Purpose Flour
½ teaspoon Baking Powder
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.  Set aside until needed.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites until they begin to foam.  Slowly add ¼ of sugar and continue whisking until stiff peaks form.  In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and the remaining ¼ cup of sugar.  Mix in the vanilla.
In a small bowl, combine the flour and baking powder and then add it to the whipped egg whites.  With a spatula, carefully fold the egg white and flour mixture into the egg yolks until fully incorporated.  Transfer the batter to a piping bag fitted with a round top.  Pipe 2 ½ inch bars, leaving at least 1 inch between each bar, onto the prepared baking sheets.
Bake the ladyfingers until they have puffed and begin to turn a light golden brown, about 7 minutes.  Allow the ladyfingers to sit on the baking sheet for one minute and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.  Serve and enjoy!
These last up to 2 weeks in a sealed container.  They will last even longer in the refrigerator and/or freezer.

Milk Bar Mondays - Blueberry & Cream Cookies
Creamy Peanut Butter & Chocolate Pie (No-Bake)
Snickerdoodle Cookies

• Reply Joanne February 3, 2012 at 12:39 pm

It’s like, a fact of nature, that I can never find ladyfingers when I need them.  But now I’ll never have to stress it again! These look awesome.

• Reply Julie @ Table for Two February 3, 2012 at 4:08 pm

oh yum! I’ve never been able to find ladyfingers in stores, I guess it’s ‘rare’ haha or they just expect us to make our own, like you did :) they look great!

• Reply Averie @ LV&Y February 3, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I wouldn’t buy ladyfingers ever again if I had beauties like these at home!

• Reply Kristin February 3, 2012 at 5:05 pm

These are gorgeous Krissy! I will most definitely be making these!

• Reply Kiri W. February 3, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Nice! This is just one of those things I never think to make at home, when I;m sure the quality would actually be better. Great recipe!

• Reply Gerryspeirs February 3, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I feel your pain especially with ladyfingers, I think they’re more of a seasonal item which is stupid because you can have tiramisu all year round :) Kudos to you for making your own, that’s dedication!

• Reply Paula Kelly-Bourque February 3, 2012 at 9:44 pm

These look wonderful.  Thanks for sharing your recipe.

• Reply nicole {sweet peony} February 3, 2012 at 10:17 pm

i had no idea these were so easy to make! love it!

• Reply maria tomato February 3, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Thank you for the post! It is easy!

• Reply bakeyourday February 3, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Krissy, these are awesome. I can’t wait to try to make them myself.  I definitely will the next time I make tiramisu!

• Reply Nsconnolly February 4, 2012 at 4:48 am

Love the recipe, quick question though… When adding the flour mixture it says add it to the egg whites, then fold into the egg whites. Do you mean add the flour mixture to the egg yolks, and then fold that mixture into the whites? Thanks! Can’t wait to try this!

• Reply Liam @ Is Butter a Carb? February 4, 2012 at 6:43 am

Wow! I didn’t know it was so easy! Great post :) Mmm Tiramisu.. NOM!

• Reply jules February 4, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I’ve never really liked the shop bought ones, they feel so artificial, but my partner would kill for tiramisu…but now I’ve got your brilliant recipe. Thanks!

• Reply Julie February 5, 2012 at 2:27 am

Okay I do that all the time….I think my record is whole foods 4 times in one day (I was making a big meal for 15).  I thought I was going to rip my hair out!  These look really really really tasty!!

• Reply Celina February 5, 2012 at 4:53 am

Relatively new to your blog.  Really like it, but I am so jealous that you get to live in San Diego.  I lived in Chula Vista when we were first married and worked on Point Loma.  I just love that whole darn area.  Now I am stuck in the IE.  At least it is close enough to visit.
    The ladyfingers look lovely.  I will give them a try.

• Reply Kim Bee February 5, 2012 at 7:25 am

Fantastic as usual. This is wonderful, I had no idea I could make my own.

• Reply Flavors To Heaven February 5, 2012 at 9:02 pm

On friday I prepared chocolate and ladyfingers to eat in middle afternoon… they were good of taste but they looked not so good jajaja, next time I’ll follow your instructions because your ladygingers look amazing!

• Reply Kristina February 6, 2012 at 2:23 pm

haha I did the exact same thing yesterday! I was halfway through my recipe when I realized I didn’t have any sour cream…! I love your recipe, such a great idea, I’ve never heard of baking your own lady fingers, these turned out great!

• Reply thefoodierd.blogspot.com February 6, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I love baking, but I always thought making a cake meant getting a box mix, muffins meant a pouch, etc.  But I am trying really hard to make everything I eat homemade.  I have been putting off making tiramisu because I don’t want to buy lady fingers.  Now I don’t have that excuse!  Thanks so much for sharing!

• Reply Jill February 6, 2012 at 6:48 pm

What a great idea! Next time I plan on making tiramisu, I’ll definitely make these first.

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 7, 2012 at 3:38 am

San Diego is the best!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 7, 2012 at 3:38 am

Haha love that I’m not the only one!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 7, 2012 at 3:39 am

SO easy!!!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 7, 2012 at 3:39 am

I did!  Thank you so much for catching that.  I changed it in the recipe :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 7, 2012 at 3:39 am

They really are so easy Nicole.  You got to try them out!

• Reply Jacqueline February 7, 2012 at 4:23 am

These are just gorgeous. So  classy.

• Reply sue m March 3, 2012 at 6:39 am

In India, okra is known as ladyfinger…strange but true. Being an Indian, this came as a surprise to me. I was intrigued by the topic of your post-homemade ladyfingers until I realised it is not what we refer to as ladyfinger here.

• Reply NB March 26, 2012 at 9:33 am

4 ounces of egg whites? how many eggs  does that need?

• Reply Krissy's Creations April 2, 2012 at 3:41 pm

4 ounces is about 4 egg whites.  Enjoy!

• Reply cakebaker May 23, 2012 at 7:45 am

What a mess I made….I mixed the flour mixture into the eggwhites as per recipe then added that horrible mix into the yolk mix…the mixture was sooo runny that I couldn’t pipe it…it ran straight through the piping bag!!

• Reply Krissy's Creations May 30, 2012 at 4:57 am

I’m so sorry that your batter didn’t turn out.  Did you whip the egg whites until they were at stiff peaks?  If not, then they would be too watery and wouldn’t create a sturdy batter.  Please email me with any questions or if you have any more problems. Thanks!

• Reply Jill Cammarata December 5, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I was really excited to make these but I have to concur with the other commenters: the batter was way too runny.  I made them twice because I thought I didn’t beat the egg whites enough the first time but got the exact same result (and wasted a lot of expensive ingredients!). You might want to rethink this one.