Breakfast & Brunch, Donuts, Muffins, & Pastries, Guest Post, Healthy

Guest Post: Citrus Olive Oil Muffins by Christina of Desserts for Two

February 29, 2012

It’s here!  Today we are jumping on a plane, with lots of luggage in hand, and moving to Florida!  The boxes are already on our way to our Condo and our car is waiting for us to arrive.  Now, we just need to get there!  That way we can start settling in as soon as possible :).  Because today is such a big day, I’ve gotten one of my very good blogging friends, Christina from Dessert for Two, to Guest Post for me!  I’ve loved Dessert for Two for quite some time, so when I finally got to meet her last year I was smitten.  She’s kind and sweet, and I’m so happy to call her a friend.  Enjoy this wonderful treat that she prepared for you!

Well, hello there!  My name is Christina and I write the dessert blog Dessert For Two.  I’m so happy to be guest posting today for one of the sweetest bloggers I’ve ever met.  Krissy and I hit it off at the Foodbuzz festival last year, and in no time at all, the conversation turned to eating habits.  While Krissy and I bake plenty of sugary sweets, we both have a passion for vegetarian meals full of whole grains and healthy fats.  When she asked me to create a recipe for her, I instantly thought of heart-healthy olive oil cake.  I shrunk the cake down to make cupcakes, and I added plenty of citrus zest and crunchy toasted almonds.
The olive oil in these cupcakes gives the cakes the texture of rich pound cake.  I can’t quite decide if they are more suitable for breakfast or dessert, so try it both ways and let me know!
What I love about these cupcakes is that you can customize them to suit your tastes.  My current favorite flavor combination is 1/4 teaspoon grapefruit zest and 1/4 teaspoon of cara cara orange zest.  I use 1 tablespoon of each fruit’s juice.  If you have Meyer lemons on your tree right now, may I suggest an all Meyer lemon muffin?
She knows me so well :).  Thanks Christina for the wonderful Guest Post!  When I’m settled in my Florida kitchen, I’m baking up a batch of these lovely muffins.

Citrus Olive Oil Muffins {From Christina at Dessert for Two}For Printable Recipe, Click here!  In case you haven’t figured out by the name of my blog, my recipes only serve two people.  This recipe makes 4 perfect little cupcakes.

1/4 cup high-quality olive oil 1/2 teaspoon (heaping) citrus zest 1/3 cup sugar 3 drops almond extract 1 egg white 2 tablespoons milk 2 tablespoon citrus juice 1/3 + 1/4 cup flour 1/2 teaspoon baking powder pinch of salt 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted powdered sugar for serving (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350˚ and place 4 cupcake liners in 4 cups in a muffin pan.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and citrus zests of your choice.  Add the sugar, almond extract, egg white, milk and citrus juice.  Whisk the liquid ingredients together very well.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and slivered almonds.  Combine the wet ingredients with the dry and stir until just combined.  Divide the batter between the 4 muffin cups and bake on the center rack in the oven for 16-18 minutes.  Test with a toothpick for doneness—cupcakes should be moist with some crumbs clinging to the toothpick.  Let cool, dust with powdered sugar and serve.

Chewy Granola
Homemade Pop Tarts
Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars

• Reply Kathryn February 29, 2012 at 11:45 am

What gorgeous muffins!  Using olive oil in baked goods is one of my favourite things especially when combined with delicious citrus flavours.  Lovely guest post!

• Reply Averie @ LV&Y February 29, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Love small batch recipes…variety is the spice of life! I’ve never baked with olive oil for sweet items…must change that!

• Reply Julie @ Table for Two February 29, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I love you ladies!! This looks so good! And i love that it’s portion controlled to 4 :)

• Reply Melissa Maruca February 29, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Thanks for guest posting for my sister :)
    The  muffins look great!

• Reply Milisa Armstrong February 29, 2012 at 3:48 pm

These look divine! I must try them soon.

• Reply Cassie @ Bake Your Day February 29, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Love the sound of these! You both are amazing ladies!!

• Reply Gerry @ Foodness Gracious February 29, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I’m all over the lemon idea, I’m a lemon fanatic right now….
    Great guest post :)

• Reply Lauren at Keep it Sweet February 29, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Love these muffins and love you ladies!

• Reply Vanessa Gonzalez February 29, 2012 at 11:17 pm

this looks amazing!!!! I totally want to make this!

• Reply Elizabeth March 1, 2012 at 12:29 am

These sound delicious!

• Reply Joanne March 1, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Aww two of my favorite ladies in one place! Score. As for these muffins – love. I say eat them for breakfast AND dessert!

• Reply Sandra March 1, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I love  baking with olive oil and don’t do it enough. Love your recipes.

• Reply PB and Peppers March 1, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Yum!  These look wonderful!!  I think you could eat these anytime!

• Reply Daisy March 1, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Nice to meet you Christina 😉 These muffins look oh so delicious and i bet they are super moist because of the olive oil ~ Thanks for sharing! You both are so talented!

• Reply Erin March 1, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Gorgeous Cupcakes!  I love making desserts in smaller portions, these sound delicious!
    Good luck with your move!

• Reply Kimby March 1, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Hi!  I’m jumping in from Dessert For Two and was admiring Christina’s tempting photo (the one with the bite out of it) :) when I spied your slide show in the side bar.  Gorgeous food!  I can see why you two hit it off.  Thanks for blessing my day with your combined talents!

• Reply vianney March 10, 2012 at 1:55 am

Yummy, I love these citrus olive oil muffins!! perfect for brunch, breakfast, lunch well anytime!!

• Reply wrestling skin care March 26, 2012 at 8:35 am

I’m impressed, I must say. Actually not often do I encounter a blog
    that’s each educative and entertaining, and let me let you know, you
    might have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the
    difficulty is something that not enough persons are talking
    intelligently about.

• Reply Medical Assistant April 12, 2012 at 6:28 pm

These are lovely muffins, These  Citrus Olive Oil muffins are looking healthy.