Chocolate, Cookies, Desserts

Chocolate Chip Coffee Shortbread

February 24, 2012
Chocolate-Chip-Coffee-Shortbread-Cookies-5
Do you look at Foodgawker?  I have an app on my phone and I’m constantly looking at all the gorgeous food pictures.  I get inspiration on what to cook and bake next, and I just have fun looking at food.  Sometimes I go and look at the most gawked all-time, or the all-time most popular on foodgawker.  And almost always, the number 1 are these Espresso Chocolate Chip Shortbread by Use Real Butter.  Finally after seeing these cookies sooo many times, I made them!
The main flavor of these cookies is coffee and chocolate chips.  The original recipe uses espresso, but I wanted a subtler coffee flavor.  They are crumbly and buttery, and truly have a great shortbread texture and taste.
These cookies would go great with a big cup of coffee or tea.  Or if your me, a tall glass of milk!  They also work really well as a snack because they are not overly sweet.
Now I know why these cookies are so popular! Don’t follow my example and wait so long to make these cookies.  You should really, really bake them yourselves… Now :).

Chocolate Chip Coffee Shortbread
Makes: About 20 2-inch Square Cookies
 1 tablespoon Instant Coffee
1 tablespoon Hot Water
½ cup (1 stick) Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature
2/3 cup Confectioners Sugar
1 ½ teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
2 cups All Purpose Flour
¾ cup Mini Chocolate Chips
In a small bowl, or a cup, stir together the instant coffee and hot water until the coffee has dissolved.  Set aside to cool slightly.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and confectioners sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the coffee and vanilla and stir to combine.  With the mixer on low speed, add the flour and beat until fully incorporated.  Stir in the chocolate chips.
Place the cookie dough in a large, gallon ziploc bag.  Without sealing the bag, use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until it fills the bag completely and it is a flat ¼-inch square.  Seal the bag, pressing as much air out as possible.  Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours, or up to 2 days.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.  Set aside until needed.
Once the dough is thoroughly chilled, remove the bag from the oven and carefully cut the bag to release the dough.  Transfer the dough square to a clean surface.  Cut the dough into about 20 2-inch squares.  Transfer the squares to the prepared baking sheets.
Bake the cookies until they have set and are fully baked, about 15-20 minutes.  They will not change color, or turn a golden brown color.  You will know they are done when they are no longer wet looking.  Remove the cookies from the oven and transfer on a cooling rack to cool completely.  Enjoy!
These cookies last up to 1 week in a sealed container.
Recipe from Use Real Butter, who got it from Smitten Kitchen

Homemade Quick Blueberry Sauce
Milk Bar Mondays – Birthday Layer Cake
Pumpkin Eggnog Bread Pudding

• Reply Kathryn February 24, 2012 at 11:23 am

I’ve also seen these cookies so many times on there but I’ve never made them either!  I  must remedy that soon.

• Reply Julie @ Table for Two February 24, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Ohh these look GOOD. I’ve seen them on there before too but obviously haven’t tried making them..and I wonder why too cause they’re so easy!!

• Reply Cassie @ Bake Your Day February 24, 2012 at 2:40 pm

LOVE! I have seen these on pinterest too. I love the addition of coffee!

• Reply Sally February 24, 2012 at 3:18 pm

i saw these on foodgawker earlier this week! looks incredible.

• Reply Averie February 24, 2012 at 4:04 pm

coffee & choc chips, rolled into one…and it’s so beautiful…it almost looks too pretty to eat.  Almost  :)

• Reply Daisy February 24, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I haven’t downloaded Foodgawker yet because there’s just too many social media platforms for me to manage hehe 😛 Thanks for sharing this recipe! I think they’re perfect with a cup of coffee ~

• Reply Paula February 24, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I love shortbread but usually just make mine plain.  I love the look and sound of these ones.  You did a beautiful job and now I’m really curious to know what they taste like :)

• Reply Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust February 24, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Delicious! I never would have thought to add the coffee. These look so good!

• Reply Jeannie February 25, 2012 at 4:57 am

Look really crispy and delicious!

• Reply Baker Street February 25, 2012 at 8:43 am

Your shortbread looks perfect!

• Reply Joanne February 25, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I seriously look at foodgawker or tastespotting at least once a day for inspiration.  And I’ve definitely ogled these before. I’m so glad they tasted as good as they look!

• Reply vincent February 25, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

petitchef.com

• Reply Choc Chip Uru February 25, 2012 at 6:22 pm

These shortbread squares are so cute and perfect – I love the taste of coffee in there with chocolate chips :)
    You are too talented!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Two Twix Fudgy ‘Whities’

• Reply Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut February 25, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Wow these look so flippin yummy!  I’ve never looked at foodgawker or tastespotting…pinterest is enough of a distraction for this gal!

I think this recipe will be on my friday favs next week! :-)

• Reply Anna @ hiddenponies February 26, 2012 at 1:03 am

I love shortbread, and Foodgawker, and the little red birds on your bowl! Gorgeous post, Krissy!

• Reply Lauren at Keep It Sweet February 26, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Wow, I can’t believe how many views some of those photos got!

However, no wonder these are popular, they sound delicious!

• Reply Emily @ Life on Food February 26, 2012 at 10:05 pm

i am afraid to get that app on my phone for fear of never getting anything done.  lovely little cookies. they sound delicious!

• Reply Kiri W. February 27, 2012 at 4:09 am

Wow, I love the visual appeal of these! And since I love the combination of chocolate and coffee and am addicted to shortbread, this would be an absolutely winner for me. Great recipe and gorgeous photos!

• Reply Melissa Maruca February 27, 2012 at 3:19 pm

make me some! :)

• Reply Megan - Newly Wife February 28, 2012 at 12:30 am

Gorgeous! Also, Florida? Wow! Hope the move is going well!

• Reply The Food Hunter February 29, 2012 at 9:49 pm

great blog…glad I found it

• Reply Krissy's Creations March 1, 2012 at 2:40 am

Yes!  Florida!  I know, it’s crazy!  Thanks :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations March 1, 2012 at 2:41 am

Seriously!  I look at it to pass time All.the.time!

• Reply Krissy's Creations March 1, 2012 at 2:41 am

I know!

• Reply Krissy's Creations March 1, 2012 at 2:41 am

Thanks Anna!  I love that bowl too :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations March 1, 2012 at 2:42 am

Ooo Yah!

• Reply Krissy's Creations March 1, 2012 at 2:42 am

They taste amazing!

• Reply Krissy's Creations March 1, 2012 at 2:42 am

Haha seriously!  I know what you mean :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations March 1, 2012 at 2:43 am

Yes!  Soo easy!  You’ve got to try them :)

• Reply Jacqueline Raposo March 4, 2012 at 4:16 am

LOVE this recipe – definitely going to be making it soon.  Miss shortbread, and they’re one of my favorite classics. Brava.

• Reply jen ~ one curly fry March 6, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Okay, this looks delicious!  I could go for one of these and nice cup of coffee right about now!

• Reply Nicole Underwood July 31, 2013 at 3:03 pm