Breakfast & Brunch, Fruit, Healthy

Blueberry Multigrain Pancakes

February 15, 2012
Blueberry-Multigrain-Pancakes-2

So, how was it?  How was your Valentines Day?!  Mine was fantastic!  Remember how I mentioned that every year we stay in, I cook dinner, and we watch a movie together.  Well on Monday my husband, Steve, surprised me by not going into the office.  He left in the morning and said he wouldn’t be back until way later in the day.  A couple hours later, he showed up at the front door with a gift in hand!  He then took me out to a wonderful Sushi lunch and stayed home all day with me.  {Oh, and he did my workout DVD with me!}.

So, we started our Valentines Day on Monday.  But of course, I had to do something for him!  I made Baked Banana French Toast for breakfast {one of his favorite breakfasts}, and for dinner I made him a special Chinese Take-Out dinner.  He loves Chinese Takeout, but of course it’s not always good for you.  So I made his favorite recipes, just healthier versions – Ramen Soup, Homemade Sushi, Vegetable Dumplings, and Vegetable Steamed Buns.  And to top off the day, we watched The Vow!  I’m a cliché, girly-girl movie-lover, and Steve doesn’t mind taking me to these types of romantic movies.  Yep, he’s definitely a keeper!  Oh, and if you go watch that movie, get ready to cry.

{PS – Thank YOU so much for those of you who gave me ideas for Valentines Day dinner.  Everything you said sounded fantastic!  I will definitely be giving them a try sometime very soon :)}.

Another reason why my husband is a keeper is because he enjoys my healthy eating/cooking lifestyle.  I try to make every meal healthy and balanced, and this would annoy most husbands.  But Steve enjoys it.  And he especially enjoys these pancakes!

These pancakes are healthy for you in so many ways.  They are made with Whole Wheat Flour, Oat Flour, and Rye Flour.  In these pancakes are egg whites instead of the full egg, olive oil instead of butter, agave nectar instead of sugar, and almond milk instead of whole milk or cream.  Plus some fresh blueberries are mixed into the batter to add more nutrients and flavor.

The best part about these pancakes is that they taste nothing like healthy pancakes.  They taste incredibly delicious, and way better than any not-so-healthy pancake I’ve ever tasted.  Their fluffy, soft, flavorful, and truly one of the best pancakes I’ve ever had and made {to-date!}.

Start your day off right with a big batch on these healthy, multigrain, blueberry, pancakes.  Enjoy!

Blueberry Multigrain Pancakes
Makes: About 15 Pancakes, Approximately 5-inches in diameter
½ cup Whole Wheat Flour
½ cup Oat Flour
¼ cup Rye Flour
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
½ teaspoon Salt
2 Egg Whites
3 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 tablespoons Agave Nectar (or Honey)
1 cup Almond Milk
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
About 1 cup Fresh Blueberries
Fresh Blueberries, for Topping
Pure Maple Syrup, for Topping
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.  Place the baking sheet in the oven.  The oven is used to keep the finished pancakes warm while cooking the others.
In a small bowl, whisk together the wheat flour, oat flour, rye flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a large bowl, stir together the egg whites, olive oil, agave nectar, milk, and vanilla.  Add the dry ingredients and stir until fully incorporated.  Carefully stir in the blueberries.
Lightly oil a skillet, griddle, or frying pan and place over medium heat.  When the pan is fully heated, use a large ice cream scoop to scoop up the batter and pour it into the pan (Make sure you are scooping enough blueberries up in each scoop).  Cook until bubbles form in the batter and then flip the pancake.   Continue to cook until lightly browned on both sizes.  Place the pancake on the baking sheet in the oven to keep warm.  Repeat with the remaining batter.
To serve the pancakes, place a few blueberries on top of your stack of pancakes and drizzle with maple syrup.  These pancakes are so flavorful and moist, that not a lot of syrup is needed.  Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Annie Eats, who adapted it from Smitten Kitchen

Raspberry Hand Pies - Guest Post for Big Fat Baker
Honey Oat Wheat Bread
Strawberry and Blueberry Shortcake Tart

• Reply Julie @ Table for Two February 15, 2012 at 1:33 pm

awww what a cute surprise!! those are the best :) he’s such a sweetheart! you definitely have yourself a keeper 😉 your blueberry pancakes look so fluffy and delicious. i would LOVE to have a stack of those on valentine’s day…well, i guess next year or maybe for breakfast this weekend!

• Reply bakeyourday February 15, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Love this combination of flours. Soooo sweet! My husband is the breakfast-maker in our house too. He loves making waffles and pancakes!

• Reply Audra February 15, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I so made a similar recipe for Andy’s V-day breakfast! Your recipe looks amazing though- I need to try it out soon. :)

• Reply Averie February 15, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I’d love to wake up to a stack of these :)

• Reply Georgia The Comfort of Cooking February 15, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Krissy, this is perfect in a pancake for me! I love that they’re multigrain and chock full o’ blueberries – just my kind of breakfast! Thanks for sharing. You have a great blog and I’m glad to have found it!

• Reply Stephsbitebybite February 15, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Oh my gosh!! I’m so craving pancakes!! Love it when they’re stacked a mile high!

• Reply Michelle February 15, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I’m now contemplating pancakes for lunch… these look awesome!

• Reply Emily @ Life on Food February 15, 2012 at 10:46 pm

This looks delicious. I love pancakes for breakfast.  I am afraid to go to The Vow even though I want to see it very badly. I know I am going to be a crying mess.  I think I am going to wait till it comes out on DVD.

• Reply bevcooks February 15, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Lordy ME that looks SO GOOD.

• Reply Sandra's Easy Cooking February 16, 2012 at 1:50 am

Those are very tempting right after very …very light dinner:))) I want this now!!!!
    Beautiful sweetie, simple beautiful!!!!

• Reply Choc Chip Uru February 16, 2012 at 5:34 am

They are multigrain meaning I can at least 3 plates 😀
    Look wonderful!!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Healthiest Natural Sugar Muesli Bars

• Reply Paula February 16, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I love pancakes and pancakes with fresh fruit…delicious.  Glad you had a lovely Valentine’s celebration with your husband 😉

• Reply Erin February 16, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Who would have known those were healthy?!  They look delicious.  Gorgeous pictures as well!

• Reply Daisy February 16, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Ohhhh you’re husband is so sweet! Glad to hear you have a fantastic Valentine’s day :) I’m definitely going to make these pancakes next time ~ love the idea of healthy pancakes ~

• Reply Lauren at Keep It Sweet February 16, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Sounds like the perfect Valentine’s Day, what a great husband:-)  We are celebrating Saturday and I’m hoping we include the Vow.

These pancakes look perfect and fluffy!

• Reply Alex February 16, 2012 at 11:03 pm

These look divine! Combining my love of pancakes and blueberries = YES!

• Reply sally February 17, 2012 at 3:46 pm

These pancakes look PERFECT! blueberry pancakes are my favorite kind and i’m always on the search for healthy twists on my favorite recipes. i will save this one for sure. your blog is wonderful! i love your photography. :)

• Reply Kiri W. February 18, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Looks delicious! :) Love that they are multi-grain :)

• Reply Erin @ Texanerin February 21, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Oooh, these look good! I love that they use a few different whole grain flours. I’ve made them before when they were posted on Smitten Kitchen and they’re amazing. Thanks for reminding me about them!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 23, 2012 at 7:09 am

Thanks so much Sally!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 23, 2012 at 7:09 am

Exactly :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 23, 2012 at 7:10 am

That’s exactly what it means!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 23, 2012 at 7:10 am

Seriously!  I cried SO much!  But it’s worth it :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 23, 2012 at 7:10 am

Thanks Georgia :)

• Reply Tracy @ Daily Deal Blog March 15, 2012 at 5:41 am

It looks heavenly delicious for breakfast!