Main Dish

Baked Farro with Artichoke and Peas

February 22, 2012
My house is a mess.  A complete mess.  This is not my style.  I try to keep a very clean home.  I like things that are neat and clean, and not at all messy.  But, right now, I can’t keep the house clean.  And it’s because we are packing and moving out.
In just one week exactly we are moving cross-country to Florida.  For at least one month, we will be in Florida for Steve’s Baseball Spring Training.  Then, who knows where will be.  All I know is that I will be with my husband on the road until September.  But for right now, I’m packing, packing, and packing some more.
One thing that takes me away from all the mess of packing is cooking and baking.  I get in the kitchen and simply forget about what’s going on around me.  I’m comforted by the kitchen and food, and this meal is one of my favorites.
It’s Baked Farro with Artichokes and Peas.  Farro is a grain very similar to Arborio Rice (the rice you use for Risotto).   However, Farro is a little bit chewier and thicker than Arborio Rice, but it still cooks up very similarly.  In this dish, Farro is baked with Strained Tomatoes, Vegetable Stock, and some herbs.  Then at the end you add in peas and chopped artichoke hearts, and finish it off with parmesan cheese.  It’s simple, delicious, and comforting.
This is also a great way to make Rissotto.  Instead of slaving over the stove to cook up a batch of Risotto, use this exact recipe but substitute Arborio Rice instead.  The result will be just as fantastic as Stove-Top Risotto.

Baked Farro with Artichoke and Peas
Serves: About 6
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 medium Onion, Chopped
1 ½ cups Farro (or a Combination of Farro and Arborio Rice)
1 cup Strained Tomatoes
2 ½ cups Vegetable Stock
1 tablespoon Fresh Basil, Chopped
1 ½ teaspoons Dried Parsley
1 ¼ cups Parmesan, Freshly Grated, Plus more for Topping
Salt and Pepper, to Taste
1 cup Cooked Artichoke Hearts, Coarsely Chopped
¾ cups Cooked Peas (frozen or canned work fine)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place a dutch oven over medium heat.  All the olive oil to the dutch oven and sauté the onions until softened, about 3 minutes.  Add the faro and stir until coated.  Continue to cook for a couple minutes.  Stir in the strained tomatoes, vegetable stock, fresh basil, dried parsley, and salt and pepper.  Bring to a simmer and then remove from the heat.  Stir in ¾ cups of the parmesan cheese.
Cover the dutch oven with foil and poke a few holes in the foil.  Place the dutch oven in the oven and bake until the farro has absorbed all of the liquid, about 35-45 minutes.  Remove the farro from the oven and remove the foil.  Stir in the remaining cheese, artichokes hearts, and peas.  Place back in the oven, uncovered, and bake for 5 minutes.  Taste and add more salt and pepper accordingly.
Remove from the oven and let sit for 2-5 minutes before serving.  Serve and enjoy!  If you like, grate more parmesan cheese on top.
Recipe adapted from 101 Cookbooks

Spinach Walnut Pesto
Pumpkin Parmesan Bread Rolls
Fresh, Homemade Pasta

• Reply Joanne February 22, 2012 at 12:52 pm

The stress of packing is really the worst. I hate it more than anything else. If your travels bring you to NYC then you’d BEST let me and Lauren know! We need some Krissy in our lives!!!

This farro sounds delicious. it’s such a great grain and you’ve paired it with some tasty ingredients!

• Reply Julie @ Table for Two February 22, 2012 at 1:29 pm

This looks delicious and healthy :) I’ve never had farro before or ever seen it until now. You’re always introducing me to new things, Krissy! I hope your move goes well and I’m so excited I get to see you in less than a month!! eep!

• Reply Sally February 22, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Yum! I love all the flavors going on here. What a delicious, healthy recipe!

• Reply Shawnda February 22, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Packing and moving stink. I hope you guys have a great time in FL end up some place great!

• Reply DessertForTwo February 22, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I feel your pain. We can trade tips on how to pack :/

• Reply Kiri W. February 22, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Oh, this looks great! I’ve never had baked farro, but it sounds delightful. The artichokes especially sound perfect.

• Reply Liz February 22, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Good luck with your move! I love faro and this dish looks fantastic!

• Reply Averie February 22, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I love artichokes…perfect way to use them!

• Reply Lauren at Keep it Sweet February 22, 2012 at 9:06 pm

This sounds delicious! I love that you used farro instead of rice since I don’t like rice at all.

I can’t believe you move so soon! I’m secretly hoping that you will move to NYC/NJ after Florida:-)

• Reply Kimberly (Badger Girl) February 22, 2012 at 9:45 pm

This looks amazing! Best of luck with your crazy moving. I have been there and the kitchen is always a place of comfort.
    Am I correct in that farro is pretty darn healthy too?
    Great recipe and good luck!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 23, 2012 at 7:19 am

Farro is healthy!  This dish is actually really good for you :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 23, 2012 at 7:20 am

I would love that!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 23, 2012 at 7:20 am

Thanks Shawnda!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 23, 2012 at 7:20 am

You’ve got to try Farro!  See you soon :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 23, 2012 at 7:21 am

It really is a great grain!  I would love to be in NY with you girls :)

• Reply Erin February 23, 2012 at 4:39 pm

This look wonderful!  I have never tried farro before, but I will be looking for it next time I am at the store!  Good luck with the move, we just got done with that (IA to CO), and will be doing it again in a couple months! (finally found a house in CO)

• Reply Baker Street February 25, 2012 at 8:43 am

Healthy and delicious! Love it.