Breads & Biscuits, Main Dish

Whole Wheat Burger Buns

January 18, 2012
Something uncommon happened last week.
See, I’m not sure if I mentioned this, but I’m a vegetarian, or actually a pescatarian because I eat fish.  I don’t eat meat because my body doesn’t crave it.  My palette has also changed and I really don’t like the taste of meat – any type of meat, chicken, red meat, turkey – anymore.  This has been a recent change, and, despite what people may think, I feel healthy and energized.
Because of this change, my husband doesn’t eat that much meat anymore either.  When I cook dinner, I mainly cook vegetarian entrees.  However, to satisfy my husband’s meat cravings, I often make chicken or turkey on the side.  He has actually told me that he doesn’t crave meat that much anymore and there are many dishes that I make where he doesn’t miss that extra piece of chicken or turkey.
We’ll last week my husband requested burgers for dinner.  When he said this, I thought he wanted turkey burgers.  But I was wrong – He was requesting my veggie burgers.  Yep, your heard me right!  My baseball-playing, working-out-all-the-time, 6’2” 205-pounds-husband, wanted vegetables over meat.  It was a good day.
Along with making my favorite Veggie {Bean} Patties, I made these Whole Wheat Buns.  These buns were the perfect compliment to the delicious burgers.  They really rounded out the whole burger.
They are light and fluffy, and not dense at all.  Most buns are so heavy that you feel as if your eating all bun, and no patty, while you eating your burger.  But it is not the case with these burger buns – They are soft and flavorful, and the perfect starting point to your favorite burger.
The best part about this recipe is that it can be used for more than just burger buns.  You can bake it as a loaf {like this Honey Oat Wheat Bread}, as dinner rolls, and also to make other types of sandwiches.
Bonus – Their healthier for you too!  Enjoy!

Whole Wheat Burger Buns
1 ¾ cups Wheat Flour
2 cups All Purpose Flour
Cornmeal, For dusting the pan
1 Egg, For Topping
1 tablespoon Water, for Topping
Poppyseeds or Sesame Seeds, For Topping
Place the water in a small bowl and sprinkle the yeast over the water, stir to combine.  Let sit for 5 minutes until the yeast starts to bubble.
Place the milk and egg in the bowl of a stand and whisk to combine.  Whisk in the sugar, salt, olive oil, and yeast mixture.   Remove the whisk and change to the beater attachment.  Add the wheat flour and beat on medium-high speed for 30 seconds.
Add the all purpose flour, ½ cup of a time, and beat until dough starts to form.  Change to the kneading attachment and knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.  If the dough becomes sticky while kneading, add flour 1 tablespoon of a time
Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled boil and cover with plastic wrap.  Place the dough in a warm place, preferably a turned-off oven.   Allow the dough to rise until it has doubled in size.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.  Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces.  Shape each piece into a round ball and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and then lightly sprinkled with cornmeal.  Place a clean towel over the baking sheet and allow the buns to rest for about 45 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Whisk together the egg and water to create an egg wash.  Gently brush the top of each bun with the egg wash.  Sprinkle with poppyseeds or sesame seeds.
Bake the buns until the tops turn golden brown, about 20 minutes.  Allow the buns to cool before slicing.  Serve with your favorite burger pattie.  Enjoy!
You can also use this bread for sandwiches and for dinner rolls.
These last up to 2 weeks in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
*Recipe adapted from EatingWell.

Cheddar Green Onion Biscuits
Gruyere Popovers
Honey Cornmeal Wheat Bread

• Reply Joanne January 18, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Now THAT is a serious success story if ever I’ve heard it! Veg: 1, Meatheads: 0.

Major score for our team 😛

These burger buns look amazing!  Homemade is certainly the way to go. I also need to check out those veggie burgers…if they’re your favorite then they’re something I definitely need to try.

• Reply Julie @ Table for Two January 18, 2012 at 1:44 pm

these buns look so fluffy and delicious! i’m surprised that your hubby doesn’t crave meat for being a baseball player and needing to eat so much — that’s awesome you two! :)

• Reply amy donovan January 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm

yum, these look awesome, as do the veggie burgers. i was a vegetarian for 7 years, so i hear ya – i really didn’t crave meat at all during that time. i’m not a vegetarian anymore, but i still eat veggie quite a bit, so i’ll have to give your veggie burgers a try!

• Reply Averie @ LV&Y January 18, 2012 at 4:36 pm

you outdid yourself…these look awesome!

• Reply DessertForTwo January 18, 2012 at 5:18 pm

These are gorgeous! I love a good veggie burger!

• Reply Kelly January 18, 2012 at 6:21 pm

What a great recipe, I LOVE making my own bread! :)

• Reply Claire Gallam10 January 18, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I’ve never made my own buns! And to think I ran to the store to buy some yesterday when I could have made them. Great recipe!

• Reply Lauren at Keep It Sweet January 18, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I love that your husband requested veggie burgers! I always get so excited when mine asks for something full of veggies:-)

• Reply Kiri W. January 18, 2012 at 6:48 pm

They look fantastic! I am somewhat like you – I do eat meat but once a week tops on average since I just don’t crave it much. It just so happened. Your burgers look great, very interesting patties. I love that your buns don’t look as horribly wonder bread-y as average buns and have some whole grain :)

• Reply bakeyourday January 18, 2012 at 11:59 pm

These are awesome. I love homemade anything, much prefer over store-bought. I love the poppy seeds on top too!

• Reply Anna @ hiddenponies January 19, 2012 at 12:47 am

Ok, I’m going to have to try your veggie burgers, see if I can convince my athletic, burger-loving hubby! Beautiful photos!

• Reply Donnaleighburks January 19, 2012 at 1:07 am

That would be so wonderful to have my very own fresh buns for my burgers.  I love fresh bread of any kind.  Thamks for sharing!

• Reply Adrienne @ Apples N Adrienne January 19, 2012 at 2:26 am

Looks great! I’ll be sure to add that to my growing list of recipes that I need to try. :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 19, 2012 at 2:56 am

I have that same growing list!

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 19, 2012 at 2:56 am

If I can convince mine, you can convince yours :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 19, 2012 at 2:56 am

I’m the same way!  I’d rather put the work into an homemade item then buy it at the store.

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 19, 2012 at 2:57 am

Thanks! Yes, the whole grains is much better for you :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 19, 2012 at 2:57 am

Me too!

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 19, 2012 at 2:58 am

Next time you should make them :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 19, 2012 at 2:58 am

Me too :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 19, 2012 at 2:58 am

Thanks Averie :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 19, 2012 at 2:58 am

Oo 7 years!  Way to go — I’m only at 1, so we’ll so how long it goes :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 19, 2012 at 2:59 am

Yes!  Our team is on top :)

• Reply Erin January 19, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I have been meaning to make homemade burger buns, they look so good!

• Reply Sandra's Easy cooking January 19, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I like your recipe very much..I will try it even though I am avoiding eggs, but one here and there won’t kill me:)) My hubby lately try to eat good too..Great photos sweetie and lovely post! Thank you for sharing!!!xoxo

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 22, 2012 at 4:36 am

Haha I agree!  Thanks Sandra :)

• Reply Boquito17 November 25, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Awesome recipe! Thanks Krissy! Made it today, burgers were great!