Buttercream & Frosting, Chocolate, Cookies, Cupcakes, Holidays

Superbowl Football Cupcakes

January 30, 2012
What are you doing this Sunday?  At 3:30pm PST?  Watching the Superbowl?  That’s what I thought.

You want to know what I’ll be doing this Sunday at 3:30pm?  I’ll be at the airport.  I will be one of the few people in the whole world not watching the football game on Superbowl Sunday.  But I’m okay with it.  My Chargers didn’t make it (again) this year, and I’ll be coming home from visiting a friend that I’m super excited to see.

And we all know it but don’t want to admit it, we don’t just watch the Superbowl for the football – It’s for the food, the gathering, the fun.  If you’re having a party this weekend, then you’re definitely going to want to make a Superbowl-themed dessert.  These football cupcakes are the perfect choice.
It’s a Chocolate Stout Cake, topped with Chocolate Buttercream and green shredded Coconut (to resemble grass), finished off with a homemade, football Chocolate Sugar Cookie.
Beer, chocolate, and football all in one cupcake.  Yep, this is definitely it!  Make these for Superbowl Sunday and they’ll be the hit of the party.

Superbowl Football Cupcakes
Makes: About 24 Cupcakes
Chocolate Cupcakes
1 ½ cups Stout Beer (I used Green Flash Double Stout)
2 cups Sugar
2 cups All Purpose Flour
½ cup Cocoa Powder (I used Valrhona)
1 ½ tsp. Baking Powder
1 ½ tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
2 Eggs
½ cup Milk
½ cup Olive Oil
2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
Chocolate Buttercream
3 cups (6 sticks) Unsalted Butter, at Room Temperature
6 cups Confectioners Sugar
1 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
1 cup Cocoa Powder (I used Valrhona)
Chocolate Sugar Cookies
½ cup (1 stick) Unsalted Butter, at Room Temperature
¾ cup Confectioners Sugar
1 Egg
½ teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1 ¼ cups All Purpose Flour
¼ cup Cocoa Powder (I used Valrhona)
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
½ teaspoon Salt
For Assembling
1 cup Shredded Coconut
A couple drops of Food Coloring
To make the chocolate cupcakes, preheat the oven the 350 degrees F.  Line 2 cupcake pans with baking liners.  Set aside.
In a small saucepan, heat up the stout beer until it reaches a boil.  Remove from the heat and set aside.
In a large bowl, sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the eggs, milk, olive oil, and vanilla.  With the mixer running on low, gradually add the dry ingredients until fully incorporated.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the stout beer; mix until the batter is smooth.  The batter will be thinner.
Divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners.  Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into a couple cupcakes comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.  Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for one minute and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
While the cupcakes are cooling, make the chocolate sugar cookies.  Increase the oven heat to 400 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and the confectioners sugar.  Beat in the egg and the vanilla and mix to combine.  Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and beat until a thick dough has formed.
Lie out a piece of parchment paper and place the dough on top of the parchment paper.  Place another piece of parchment paper on top and roll out the dough until it is ¼-inch thick.  Transfer the rolled out dough to the freezer to firm up, about 10 minutes.
Peel off the top piece of parchment paper and using a small football cookie cutter (you can also use a small circle and bend it into a football shape), cut out the cookies and then carefully transfer them to the prepared baking sheet.
Bake the cookies until they have set, about 7 minutes.  Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a couple minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
While the cookies are cooling, make the chocolate buttercream.  Cream the butter in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, about 5 minutes.  Add the confectioners sugar and salt and mix, gradually increasing in speed, until the sugar is fully incorporated.  Add the peppermint and whisk until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes – you may need to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple times.
When the cookies have cooled, at this point you can either leave the cookies as is or decorate them with royal icing to make them look more like a football.  My favorite royal icing recipe is from Sweet Sugar Belle.  I recommend using her recipe as well.  Set aside when finished with the cookies.
Before you assemble the cupcakes, dye the shredded coconut green.  Place the coconut in a bowl and then sprinkle a little drops of food coloring on top.  Stir until the food coloring has completely colored the coconut.
To assemble the cupcakes, place the buttercream in a piping bag fitted with a large round tip.  Pipe a large dollop of buttercream on top of each cupcake.  Place about 1 tablespoon of green coconut on top of the buttercream.  Top each cupcake with a chocolate football cookie.
Cookie recipe adapted from The Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle
Cupcake Inspiration from Mini Baker

Nutella Muffin Cakes
Red Velvet Christmas Whoopie Pies
Cinnamon Rolls

• Reply Joanne January 30, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I’m actually going to a four year old’s birthday party instead of watching the game, so we’ll be in the same boat. But I won’t let that stop me from making these cupcakes! SO CUTE.

• Reply Audra January 30, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Hooray! These are so festive and cute! I can’t think of a better themed treat for the bowl! Great post Krissy :)

• Reply Julie @ Table for Two January 30, 2012 at 1:19 pm

woah, wait a minute. i didn’t know the superbowl was at 3:30 hahaha, thank YOU for telling me because now i have to shift all my superbowl plans. i had everyone coming over at 530…

your cupcakes are so precious. i love the football theme!!

• Reply Melissa Maruca January 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Cute :)
    Hey… watch it with the Charger comment… ((my Chargers didn’t make it (again) this year) UNNECESSARY!  That’s just a way to bum all of us Charger fans out!

• Reply amy donovan January 30, 2012 at 4:52 pm

you’re not alone! i, too, will be traveling on superbowl sunday, for work. by the time i land back in nashville + get home, the superbowl should just be starting. this means that, for the first time, we won’t be hosting a superbowl party. i can’t lie though – i’m pretty excited about a laid-back superbowl sunday in comfy clothes with just my husband + dog! these cupcakes look delicious, by the way!

• Reply DessertForTwo January 30, 2012 at 5:09 pm

hehehee!! I’m so excited to see you too! :)

• Reply Marina@Cowboycountryvegetarian January 30, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Is it this Sunday? Already?!  MMM, those cupcakes are sooooooo good, and so Super! Thanks for the recipe.

• Reply Averie @ LV&Y January 30, 2012 at 9:21 pm

You make the most adorable food  :)

• Reply Stephanie Au January 30, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Amazing, Krissy! LOVE the shredded coconut idea! Genius. :)

• Reply bakeyourday January 31, 2012 at 2:11 am

Love this idea. So, so creative!

• Reply Live & Love Sweet January 31, 2012 at 7:27 pm

This is one KILLER super bowl desert!! For research purposes (… rrr- ofcourse) I’ll have to make these before the big game – – you know, just to make sure they’re okay for everyone else to have 😉 lol

• Reply Claire Gallam10 January 31, 2012 at 9:08 pm

These are FREAKIN adorable. I love the little grass. So cute.

• Reply Kristina January 31, 2012 at 10:44 pm

adorable recipe! I love your homemade football cookies, and the coconut idea is awesome. Perfect Super Bowl treat! Almost too cute to let anyone eat :)

• Reply Margarita January 31, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Love the chocolate sugar cookie addition!

• Reply Yasmeen February 1, 2012 at 11:07 am

Super cute! Haven’t been home for the Superbowl in a few years, but if we manage to be off work (with the time diff) we don’t mind throwing a little party at all :) This is a wonderfully festive idea!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:08 pm

This will be the first year I won’t be watching it :/.  Theres always next year!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:08 pm

That was one of my favorite parts!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Almost :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I’m sooo loving the grass too :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Haha, I’d do the same thing!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Yes!  This Sunday!  I know this year is already flying by!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Glad I’m not alone!  A laid back superbowl is always nice :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Whoops!  Timing mistake :/.  I meant 3:30PST.

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Glad were in the same boat!  Who would throw a kids birthday party on superbowl?? Haha

• Reply Danielle February 2, 2012 at 5:42 am

Those are so cute and perfect for this weekend.

• Reply Megan - Newly Wife February 7, 2012 at 10:12 pm

We had church instead of watching the game (we go to a home church on Sunday nights), but I requested that the meal be “football food,” because that’s the only part of the game that I wanted! haha