Buttercream & Frosting, Cookies, Desserts, Gluten Free and/or Paleo

Pistachio Macarons

January 9, 2012
Pistachio-Macarons-3
Want to know my favorite movie?  Beauty and The Beast.  Yep, the Disney Movie that you probably haven’t watched since you were a kid.  That’s my favorite.  Not 27 Dresses, The Notebook {My #4}, The Devil Wears Prada, Tangled {My #3}, or Bride Wars.  And yes, I’m not telling you my #2, I don’t want you to judge me.  All I’ll tell you is that it’s girly, very girly, and it’s based off of a TV show.

Beauty and The Beast is a classic – The type of movie that will never get old.  That is why it’s my favorite.
It’s the same way why French Macarons are one of my favorite desserts to make.  Even though they just started getting popular, I think they are here to stay.  They soon will be like cupcakes, a classic dessert.
My new favorite Macaron flavor is Pistachio.  Instead of using all almonds in the shells, you use half almonds and half pistachios.  The pistachios add an extra chewiness, and also give the macarons this great intense flavor.
This last batch of Pistachio Macarons is probably the best batch that I made.  Everything was just right.  The bottoms of the shells were flat, they rose and had “feet”, the texture was extremely chewy with a crunchy exterior, and the flavor was just amazing.

It seems like the more I bake macarons, the better they get :).
Now excuse me while I go watch Beauty and The Beast.
Enjoy!

Pistachio Macarons

Makes: About 30 Macarons

*Measuring the ingredients in weight in necessary in making macarons.  Because of this, a kitchen scale is needed in making them*

Macaron Shells
90 grams Egg Whites
30 grams Sugar
200 grams Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
55 grams Almond
55 grams Pistachios
A few drops of Green Food Coloring, Gel
Basic Vanilla Buttercream
1 ½ cups (3 sticks) Unsalted Butter, at Room Temperature
3 cups Confectioners Sugar
Pinch Salt
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract

To make the macaron shells, place the egg whites in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.  Whip the egg whites until they begin to foam, about 2 minutes. Slowly add the sugar to the egg whites while the mixer is still going.  You might need to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple times.  Continue to whip the egg whites until stiff peaks have formed.
While the egg whites are whipping, combine the powdered sugar, almonds, and pistachios in a food processor and pulse until the nuts are finely ground.  If you cannot get the nuts to grind fine enough, sift the mixture and then pulse again.
Once the nuts are finely ground, add the mixture to the whipped egg whites.  Fold the egg whites quickly at first to break up some of the air.  Then continue to fold the mixture carefully until the batter flows like a thick ribbon.  It should take no more than 50 folds for the batter to reach the right consistency.  To color the shells, add a few drops of the food coloring (I prefer to use gel or powdered food coloring to not add any extra water to the batter).  If desired, add more coloring to make the color more concentrated.
Using a piping bag fitted with large round tip (I used Ateco #808), pipe small rounds onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat (parchment paper works good too).  The rounds should be no larger than 1.5 inch in diameter.  Be careful to not pipe the rounds to close to each other – give space for them to spread.
Let the macaron shells sit for at least 30 minutes, until their shells are hardened.  Preheat the oven to 280 degrees F.  Once at least 30 minutes have passed, place the macarons shells in the oven and bake for about 12 minutes (until the shells have rose and are hardened).
Cool the macarons on the baking sheets.
While the macarons are cooling, make the buttercream.  Cream the butter in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Add the confectioners sugar and salt and mix (gradually increasing in speed) until the sugar is fully incorporated, about 5 minutes.  You may need to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple times.
Add the vanilla and whisk until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Once the buttercream is creamy and airy, the buttercream is done!
Once the macaron shells have cooled, match the macaron shells in pairs.  Place each pair next to each other, with one of the shells topside down.
To fill the macarons, pipe a small round of buttercream on the macaron shell that it topside down.  Top with the other matching macaron shell.  Repeat with the remaining macarons.
Serve and enjoy!
These last up to 2 days in a sealed container.
Macaron recipe adapted from Tartelette.

Cut-Out Christmas Sugar Cookies
Blueberry Cupcakes
Flourless Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cupcakes

• Reply Julie @ Table for Two January 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Wow, these turned out great. They look amazing. You make it look like a professional did it..or are you a professional macaron maker? 😉 It’s one of my goals this year to make macarons – I may be DM’ing you for some tips! I’ll be honest, pistachio is not my favorite flavor for ice creams or macarons, etc. I don’t know why — I think it might be b/c it’s green. I LOVE pistachios as nuts though lol

• Reply Audra January 9, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Absolutely beautiful Krissy! One of my 2012 goals is to give these beauties a try. You’ve inspired me today!

• Reply Joanne January 9, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Did you know that Beauty and the Beast is being re-released!  Exciting!

I tried Laduree’s macarons not-too-long-ago and pistachio was my favorite flavor…I’ve been dying to make it at home ever since! These are absolutely stunning.  A need-to-make!

• Reply Melissa Maruca January 9, 2012 at 3:30 pm

these are cute! i like the bright green.. it reminds me of St. Patrick’s day.

• Reply Kiri W. January 9, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Like you I love pistachios, so these look fantastic :) Great, great recipe.

• Reply Kristin January 9, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Absolutely Gorgeous Krissy!! Pistachio has to be one of my favorite flavors! :D.

• Reply DessertForTwo January 9, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I bet these are delicious with half pistachios! Yum! I’m craving macarons now!

• Reply Ela January 9, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I always have a fear of making macarons, but I see a lot of bloggers are doing it now and get over my fear.  I’d like to start with this recipe.  Do you use whole almonds?  Are the almonds and pistachio raw to start with or should I toast them first?  Are they unsalted?  Thanks.

• Reply Bake Your Day January 9, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Is your favorite Titanic? It’s one of my favorites and sometimes I’m afraid to admit it! I have too many favorites though. And bravo on these macarons, I have to try my hand at making them. They are beautiful!

• Reply Averie @ LVAY January 10, 2012 at 12:01 am

These are so pretty!  And make me think of St. Paddy’s Day!  :)

• Reply Baker Street January 10, 2012 at 6:40 am

Ooh. these are gorgeous. I have to give macs another try. :)

• Reply Chrissy January 10, 2012 at 8:58 am

Literally dying at how obsessed with Beauty and the Beast that we are. These little green roons look so great! I would just love to snack on some right now!

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 11, 2012 at 8:12 am

How funny you don’t like Pistachio in your desserts but you do by themselves.  It probably is the color.  I knew someone who didn’t eat anything green.  Yes nothing!  haha :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 11, 2012 at 8:12 am

You’ve gotta give them a try!  Can’t wait to see the outcome :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 11, 2012 at 8:12 am

I didn’t!  So excited :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 11, 2012 at 8:12 am

Thanks Kiri :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 11, 2012 at 8:13 am

Mine too!  I’m slowly getting addicted!

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 11, 2012 at 8:14 am

I’m always craving macarons haha! :)

• Reply MaDemoiselle January 11, 2012 at 8:14 am

Beautiful!

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 11, 2012 at 8:16 am

Hi Ela,
    You can use any type of almonds – whole, slivered, sliced.  All of them work well.  Start with raw almonds & pistachios, not toasted. And I like to use unsalted.  You can use salted if that’s all you can get your hands on but the macarons will be more salty.  Let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy!

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 11, 2012 at 8:17 am

Titanic is not my #2 favorite, but I’ll admit its up there!  You know its coming out in 3D in the Theaters.  Yes, I’m going to watch it :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 11, 2012 at 8:18 am

They totally do!  I didn’t even think of that while making them haha.

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 11, 2012 at 8:18 am

Yes, give them another try!  I’d love to see the outcome :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 11, 2012 at 8:18 am

Thanks Chrissy :)

• Reply jules January 11, 2012 at 12:25 pm

These macarons are simply stunningly beautiful. I love beauty and the beast too – (thought the beast was gorgeous – is that wrong?) I need to try these – still too scared to make macarons.

• Reply April @ Tête-à-Tête 4 Food January 12, 2012 at 12:20 am

They are absolutely stunning! I’ve tried making macarons quite a few times but they flatten out once taken out of the oven and they don’t have a shiny shell! I wonder what is going wrong…..

• Reply Kim Bee January 15, 2012 at 12:26 am

Omg these are amazing. I have such a weakness for pistachios. You really outdid yourself on this one. Beautiful!!!