Chocolate, Cookies, Desserts, Healthy

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

January 23, 2012
Healthy-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies-4
Here I give you the recipe for the cookie I eat and make the most.
I know, I know, there is “healthy” in the title.  Why is one of my favorite cookies (I would even go as far as saying it’s my favorite cookie) healthy?  How could this be?
We’ll let me explain.  I am not the person who shy’s away from sugar.  I mean, come on, have you looked at my blog – 99% of my recipes are sugar-laden desserts.  But there are those days when I’m sugared out.  I want dessert, but I don’t want a rich, fudgy, creamy, thick, sugary dessert.  I just want something tasty and slightly sweet that satisfies my dessert craving without pushing me over my dessert limit.  This cookie is the answer.  It is now always the answer.

And yes, a healthy cookie can be delicious.  They aren’t always tasteless and boring.  Make these cookies and you will see.

What makes these cookies healthy is the low sugar and fat content.  There are only 3 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of oil in one batch of cookies.  You also use whole wheat flour or oat flour as the base of the cookie.  I switch back and forth with which flour I use.  I think I prefer the oat flour, but then I make the cookies with wheat flour and I change my mind.  Try it both ways and you decide what flour you like best. (Just so you know, the pictures in this post are with the whole wheat flour, the oat flour will produce a lighter colored cookie.)
The best part of these cookies is the feeling you get when your eating them.
You don’t feel guilty.
You don’t feel weighed down.
You don’t feel like you have to eat healthier the next day so you can eat these cookies.
You can actually enjoy the cookies and have complete satisfaction while doing it.
You can also eat more than just one because their healthy!  I know it do.  I had 4 of these cookies last night :).
Please, please, please don’t shy away from this recipe because it’s a healthy dessert.  Trust me on this one.  This cookie is good!  My husband even likes them!  I actually put white chocolate chips in his batch and he loves them even more.
You can also make these cookies gluten free by using Gluten Free Oat Flour, or even All Purpose Gluten Free Flour.

Enjoy!

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes: About 6 Cookies

75 grams Oat Flour or Whole Wheat Flour
1 tablespoon Sugar
2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
¼ teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 tablespoons Almond Milk
½ teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
3 tablespoons Mini Chocolate Chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Line 1 baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.  Set aside until needed.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt.  Add the olive oil, almond milk, and vanilla; stir to combine.

Using a cookie scoop, scoop tablespoons of dough into your hands and then shape the dough ball into a flat disk, about ¼-inch thick.  Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake the cookies for 5 minutes and then, using a flat spatula, press down the cookies to flatten them.  Bake for another 2 minutes and then remove from the oven.

Allow the cookies cool on the baking sheet until warm or at room temperature.  Serve and enjoy!

These cookies last up to 5 days in a sealed container.

Recipe adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie

White Chocolate Strawberry Blondies
My Favorite Chocolate Cupcake
Ice Cream Sandwiches

• Reply Averie @ LV&Y January 23, 2012 at 11:36 am

love the cookies and that plate…anthro, right?  so pretty!

• Reply Julie @ Table for Two January 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm

a healthy dessert? YES FINALLY! haha, now I can eat 5 cookies without feeling like utter crap! :) great recipe, I can’t believe it only uses 3 tbsp of sugar! awesome, Krissy, just awesome :)

• Reply Christy January 23, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Thanks for posting these. Last week I made your flourless peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. While they were super delicious, and I mean so good that we finished them way too quickly, it’s nice to also have some less sugary sweets. They look and sound really good! Can’t wait to try them out!

• Reply Lauren at Keep It Sweet January 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I always have room for a healthy cookie recipe to break up the decadent ones:-)

• Reply Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray January 23, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I love this!! Lower-guilt cookies would be a welcome addition to my dessert rotation. :)

• Reply Kristina January 23, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I love this recipe! I especially like that you use almond milk, I might substitute in some silk chocolate chips to keep it all dairy free :) Thanks for the recipe!

• Reply Kiri W. January 23, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Healthy sounds great! They look beautiful, though for myself I’d omit the mint. :)

• Reply Bake Your Day January 23, 2012 at 9:58 pm

These look amazing, there’s no way they are healthy. Beautiful cookies!

• Reply Maria January 23, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I will have to try these!

• Reply Paula Kelly January 23, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Your cookies look wonderful and seeing as they are healthy, I think a double batch would be in order :)

• Reply Kathryn January 24, 2012 at 12:25 am

I made this last night, Krissy!! I made them with the oat flour and used white chocolate chips… (like my brother) I prefer them over real chocolate.  I am so glad you posted these–they definitely satisfy a sweet tooth and I don’t feel a bit guilty! I have been craving them ever since I had them at your house and have made them twice since. Yum! This one is a keeper.

• Reply Kim Bee January 24, 2012 at 2:34 am

This is wonderful. Gotta love a guilt free cookie. Your photos are stunning.

• Reply Julie January 24, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Healthy and gluten-free?!?!?!  I’m in heaven!

• Reply Heidi @ Food Doodles January 24, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Yummy!  I’ll have to give these a try – I’m always looking for whole grain cookie recipe and these look so good :)  I can’t believe how little oil is in them!

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 25, 2012 at 6:06 am

I know!  They are so good for such a low amount of fat!

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 25, 2012 at 6:06 am

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 25, 2012 at 6:07 am

Thanks Kim!  Guilt-Free Cookies are seriously one of my favs :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 25, 2012 at 6:07 am

A double-batch is definitely in order :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 25, 2012 at 6:07 am

They are!  Their healthy and so tasty :).  Thanks Cassie!

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 25, 2012 at 6:08 am

Your right!  They are so close to being dairy free.  They are also vegan and can be Gluten Free :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 25, 2012 at 6:08 am

Thanks Tara!

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 25, 2012 at 6:08 am

That’s what I feel about this recipe :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 25, 2012 at 6:09 am

Yes! Thanks :)

• Reply Sandra's Easy Cooking January 25, 2012 at 6:09 am

Yummy Cookies! Love love love your photos..making me want some right now! Congrats on well deserving top 9!

• Reply Social Contessa January 25, 2012 at 6:55 am

I read your recipe at 1030pm tonight and I just had to try them… my boyfriend was brushing his teeth while I was taking out flour and measuring cups! At first I was a bit skeptical, but they were amazing! I added some butterscotch chips as well (why not? They’re already so healthy!) Thanks so much, definitely a keeper!!

• Reply Darareppucci January 25, 2012 at 1:30 pm

These look fantastic. Well done finding a way to cut down on the sugar. Congrats on Top 9

• Reply alyce culinary thymes January 25, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Looking forward to trying these!

• Reply Sarah January 27, 2012 at 8:41 pm

cannot wait for these little babies. yum.

• Reply Natalie R. February 13, 2012 at 3:46 am

I came across your blog by chance–I was EXCITED to find these–healthier, vegan and if made with oat flour, gluten free!!!!  Thanx for posting!

• Reply Michelle February 16, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Just made these, delicious!!

• Reply Amy February 17, 2012 at 9:40 pm

These are fabulous! I stayed home sick today & wanted something a lil sweet, these are perfect. They are soft, a lil chewy & very satisfying! And I love that you only make 6 at a time. This really helps with portion control. I had 2 & some almond milk; totally happy right now! Thank you!

• Reply Angelalylajasonfulton March 23, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Are you kidding me?? These are so yummy! Just made a batch!!!!

• Reply Krissy's Creations March 24, 2012 at 12:51 am

So glad you enjoyed them!

• Reply LanaiO May 14, 2012 at 2:25 pm

These cookies are soo good.. I made a batch of them they dont even taste healthy I have tried making some healthy chocolate chip cookies! Thanks for the great recipe! I had a question about the 75 grams what is that as far as cup or liter size? I am a new baker so i used a converter online.  My measuring probably wasn’t exact but they still came out great!!!

• Reply Brandi Garcia July 8, 2012 at 7:53 pm

My husband was craving chocolate chip cookies today so I made these. I didn’t have regular almond milk but had dark chocolate almond milk which I think helped aid making them SUPER chocolaty. Hubby was so-so about the dough by itself (when I gave him a piece sans chocolate chips), but as long as he got a chip in the bite, he was content (since he is still getting used to healthy baked desserts). I thought it was amazingly awesome and we both will be making these again. We did two giant bakes cookies for us and baked them for about 12-15 minutes.

• Reply Anonymous September 22, 2012 at 3:08 am

Sooo I guess I’m the minority here, but I had a few problems. First, I’m a new baker and need everything spelled out for me to be sure I get it right. Nowhere in the recipe do you say when to add the chocolate. (petty, I know, but it bothers me cuz I’m not great at these things). Second, in following the ingredients exactly, my dough was WAY too dry. I added more of the milk because I wasn’t sure what else to do. Please tell me what I missed, seeing how I’m the only one that was disappointed with this recipe. Thanks.

• Reply Jane July 11, 2013 at 11:05 pm

I subbed coconut oil for the olive oil & they have the best flavor!!!