Breads & Biscuits, Breakfast & Brunch, Daring Bakers

Basic Biscuits

January 27, 2012
Last year we took a trip to Wilmington, North Carolina.  Steve’s brother is in the Marines and he was graduating from MARSOC (Marine Special Operations).  This was a pretty big deal, being that a very low percentage of Marines actually graduate from MARSOC – It’s pretty much the Navy Seals for Marines.  So, the whole family packed up and visited this small town on the coast of North Carolina.
Wilmington was much better than I expected.  I thought it was going to be a sleepy town, but it was just the opposite.  It has a cute downtown with lots of great food up and down the main strip.

Some of my favorite foods that I had in Wilmington was biscuits and grits.  I never truly experienced this type of southern food before this trip.  The biscuits were flaky and buttery, and the grits were creamy and flavorful – Every time I had them.  Ever since then I have this new love for biscuits and grits.
When I saw that the Daring Bakers challenge for this month was Basic Biscuits I was super excited.  I love trying new recipes for biscuits and it’s always good to have a basic go-to recipe on hand.
Audax Artifex was our January 2012 Daring Bakers’ host. Aud worked tirelessly to master light and fluffy biscuits to help us create delicious and perfect batches in our own kitchens!
I was able to whip up these biscuits one morning without even breaking a sweat.  They took no more than 10 minutes to prepare the dough and get them in the oven.  After the scones came out of the oven, I slathered them in jam and took a big bite.  They were tender, flaky, and perfectly buttery.
This recipe is the perfect starting point to many more different flavors of biscuits.  Add cheese, herbs, fruit, nuts, and any others flavors you crave.

Basic Biscuits
Makes: 6 Biscuits
1 cup All Purpose Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
¼ teaspoon Salt
2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, Very Cold & Grated
½ cup Milk, Cold {Plus more for brushing the tops}
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.  Line 1 baking sheet with parchment paper.  Set aside until needed.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl; sift 2 more times.  Using your hands, rub the cold, grated butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse sand.  Add the milk and, with your hands, mix until the dough has formed.
Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface.  Knead the dough until it is smooth.  Carefully pat the dough into a 6×4-inch rectangle.  Using a 2-inch round biscuit cutter cut out rounds of dough, leaving as little scraps as possible.  Gather up the scraps and cut 2 more rounds of dough – These will not rise as much and won’t be as tender, but they are still delicious and are better than wasting the dough.
Brush the tops of the biscuits with milk and place in the oven to bake until the tops turn a light golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.  Immediately transfer the biscuits to a cooling rack to cool until warm or room temperature.  Serve and enjoy!
Spread the biscuits with jam or butter, eat with eggs and bacon for breakfast, use at the bun to your favorite sandwich, and much more!
Recipe from Audax Artifex for the Daring Bakers Challenge January 2012.

Baked Oatmeal with Fruit
Fresh Strawberry Scones
Apple Walnut Flax Seed Bread

• Reply Audax Artifex January 27, 2012 at 11:05 am

What stunning photography your scones looks so cute, well done on this challenge. Great that you enjoy the recipe so much yes it is very versatile.  Cheers from Audax Artifex from Sydney Australia.

• Reply Averie @ LV&Y January 27, 2012 at 11:29 am

Girl I LIVED IN WILMINGTON (Wrightsville Beach, actually) for 2 years and then we lived in Myrtle Beach.  Wilmington is a GREAT town.   It’s pretty progressive for it’s size, it has yoga, great regional eats, lots of energy b/c it’s a college town and the beaches are second to none.  A buried treasure.  Loved living there but love San Diego more  :)

Your food looks great and I could go on and on…wow….

• Reply Julie @ Table for Two January 27, 2012 at 1:55 pm

YUM! one of my kitchen goals this year is to make biscuits so this would be the perfect recipe to use since it’s basic!

• Reply Julie @ Table for Two January 27, 2012 at 1:56 pm

you lived in wrightsville beach?! that’s crazy! i just drove past there this summer. my bf’s aunt has a house there and we were at north topsail beach!! small world!

• Reply Marina January 27, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Oh, biscuits! They look just amazing! I am baking it for dinner! Thanks for the recipe!

• Reply NewYorkAtHeart January 27, 2012 at 3:00 pm

seriously obsessed with your blog and constantly pin your eats on pinterest. these biscuits look sooo good!

• Reply Jenni January 27, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Great job Krissy!! Your biscuits look perfect – tender and flaky and amazing!

• Reply DessertForTwo January 27, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Love when you do Southern food! :)

And I also love when you talk about Marines because I’m pretty partial to Marines 😉

• Reply Stephsbitebybite January 27, 2012 at 5:45 pm

hot flaky biscuits right out of the oven! Is there anything better? I mean, really!

• Reply Shelley C January 27, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Oh, yum, just reading your post makes me want to prepare another batch and grab the jam from the refrigerator… Wonderful work.

• Reply Kathy January 27, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I am so jealous!  I absolutely LOVE North Carolina!  As a matter of fact, my boyfriend and I are planning a vacation there over the summer.  Thanks for the great recipe for biscuits! (it’s just like my grandma’s; who is from Tennessee :)

• Reply Paula January 27, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Your biscuits look delicious and you really do make it sound as if anyone could whip up a batch! I may just try to soon.

• Reply Jo January 27, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Your biscuits look fantastic, and they really do come together in a snap. I am starting to plot out more meals that need a side of biscuits myself!

• Reply amy donovan January 28, 2012 at 1:41 am

in my opinion, there are few things as delicious as straight-up, buttered, homemade biscuits. YUM! i haven’t made any in a few months + i totally should make some this weekend. thanks for the inspiration! =D

• Reply bakeyourday January 28, 2012 at 3:26 am

I love biscuits, these look perfect! Biscuits and grits, what a perfectly southern meal!

• Reply KitchieCoo January 28, 2012 at 6:15 am

Oh, I love a crisp flaky biscuit!  I am curious about the grated butter…I imagine it helps form those delicate layers that are so coveted in a biscuit.  Great photos!

• Reply Myfudo January 28, 2012 at 7:03 am

Hi Krissy! I love this simple recipe. I am sure I will enjoy its perfect taste and full flavors. I am looking forward for more posts.

• Reply Loveforfood January 28, 2012 at 1:17 pm

OMG – I’m seriouslydrooling over your blog

• Reply Cher January 28, 2012 at 6:07 pm

These biscuits look wondeful – and that they came together so quickly is a bonus…

• Reply Bou Shin January 28, 2012 at 9:27 pm

These look so delicious! I love biscuits and scones! ^^

• Reply Jenn @ Peas and Crayons January 29, 2012 at 2:49 am

That’s where i live! =) My husband is a marine here and I looooove wilmington!  I live outside the cute-ness in more of the “sleepy” area a little bit north but I visit whenever I can — LOVE LOVE LOVE downtown wilmington! so many movies are filmed here!

• Reply Kim Bee January 29, 2012 at 3:48 am

These are gorgeous. You really did an outstanding job.

• Reply Shannon @ Family Bites January 29, 2012 at 5:10 am

These biscuits look wonderful! So pretty.

• Reply Lizzy Do January 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Oh, you rocked this challenge!  Your biscuits look marvelous!  Fun to bake along with you this month :)

• Reply Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 30, 2012 at 4:09 am

These look great :) Are these kinda like scones? ~ Yum!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Yes, People not living in Northern America call them scones :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Thanks Lizzy!  It was a great challenge :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:12 pm

No Way!!!  How funny.  Sooo cool your from there.  It really it such a great town.  My brother-in-law is actually stationed there now :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Haha thanks!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Yes.  The grated butter makes it easier for the butter to incorporate into the flour and create flaky layers.  Enjoy!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:13 pm

The perfect southern meal!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:13 pm

You should :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:14 pm

North Carolina was SO much fun!  You guys would love it :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:14 pm

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Yes you are :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Oooo Thank you so much!

• Reply Jenn @ Peas and Crayons February 1, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Smallest world ever! Which base is he stationed at? We’re over at Cherry Point!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Yah!  Love to hear how they turn out!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:16 pm

You did?!?! How cool! Very progressive, that’s for sure :).  I’d agree San Diego still is the best!

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 1, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Thanks Audax!  Truly a great recipe :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations July 7, 2014 at 11:21 pm

افضل شركات نقل وتخزين الاثاث

اشهر شركات
    نقل وتخزين الاثاث بالرياض

أفضل شركات
    مكافحة الحشرات بالرياض

• Reply Krissy's Creations July 7, 2014 at 11:23 pm

We are a group of volunteers and opening a
    new scheme in our community.

Your web site offered us with valuable information to
    work on.

You’ve done a formidable job and our entire community

be thankful to

Also visit my blog post

شركات مكافحة الحشرات بالرياض

• Reply Toque de Choc ! June 30, 2015 at 11:38 am

I’m a little bit lost. Is there a difference between scones and biscuit ?