Buttercream & Frosting, Cupcakes, Desserts

Sparkling Cider Cupcakes

December 28, 2011
Sparkling-Cider-Cupcakes-3
Now that Christmas is over we are at the point where we are anticipating the New Year, but still enjoying the holiday season.  The decorations are up, the tree is still standing, but the lights are turned off.  We are starting to say goodbye to Christmas and hello to New Years.
This is also a time where many people have work and school off and they get to spend more time at home.  While you’re at home relaxing, you should definitely utilize your time well and get in the kitchen!  End the year with a bang and create some of your favorite foods and desserts.
A good place to start is to bake up some cupcakes.  And if your making cupcakes, you might as well make some cupcakes that are New Years themed.  Like these Sparkling Cider Cupcakes!

These cupcakes are a variation of my favorite white cake.  I added brown sugar and sparkling cider into the base recipe, and then topped the cupcakes with festive gold sprinkles.

Other than Champagne, Sparkling Cider is the go-to drink for New Years Eve.  Why not utilize this celebratory beverage and incorporate it into delicious cupcakes?  Sounds good to me!

I hope you enjoy your last week of 2011 and spend the last days doing the things you love.  Mine will be spent relaxing and baking – 2 of my favorite things!

PS – I still have 1 more recipe to show in 2011.  It’s another cupcake recipe because, what can I say, I love cupcakes!

Sparkling Cider & Brown Sugar Cupcakes

1 cup Sparkling Cider
Basic Vanilla Buttercream
1 ½ cups (3 sticks) Unsalted Butter, at Room Temperatur
3 cups Confectioners Sugar
Pinch Salt
1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
Gold Sprinkles, for Decoration (Optional)
To make the sparkling cider cupcakes, start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F.  Line 2 cupcake pans with baking liners.  Set aside until needed.
Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.  Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and brown sugar until light and creamy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated.  Mix in the vanilla.  Add the flour mixture, alternatively with the sparkling cider, beginning and ending with the flour.
Divide the batter among the prepared baking cups.  Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow them to cool in the pan for a couple minutes.   Transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack to cool completely.
While the cupcakes are cooling, make the buttercream.  Cream the butter in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Add the confectioners sugar and salt and mix (gradually increasing in speed) until the sugar is fully incorporated, about 5 minutes.  You may need to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple times.
Add the vanilla and whisk until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
To frost the cupcakes, place the frosting in a piping bag fitted with a large round tip.  Pipe a round “blob” on the top of the cupcakes.
Place the sprinkles in a small bowl and press the top of the cupcakes into the coconut.   Gently rock the cupcakes back and froth in the sprinkles to fully cover the top of the cupcake and gently flatten the buttercream.
Serve and enjoy!
These cupcakes last about 4 days in a sealed container.

Milk Bar Mondays – Carrot Cake Truffles
Coconut Milk Rice Pudding
Homemade Oreos

• Reply Joanne December 28, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I didn’t realize how much I’d miss Christmas break until this year when I didn’t have one. Sigh. So sad! I think I need a cupcake to cheer me up.  These sound delicious and I love the cider twist!

• Reply Julie @ Table for Two December 28, 2011 at 5:15 pm

omgosh, you have no idea how much sparking cider (and sparkling wine) i consume. it’s probably not a good thing to admit but these cupcakes are totally up my alley! I love anything with warm spices to it especially in cupcake form :)

• Reply Kelsey @ K&K Test Kitchen December 29, 2011 at 1:49 am

These sound amazing.  I used to drink so much sparkling cider that I would be sick on Christmas and New Years Eve.  The cupcake version sounds even better!

• Reply DessertForTwo December 29, 2011 at 5:43 am

These sound so fun for NYE! :)

I enjoyed your Christmas photos too :)

• Reply Jeannie December 30, 2011 at 5:27 am

Beautiful and so festive! Sounds delicious with the buttercream:)

• Reply Kiri W. December 30, 2011 at 10:17 am

This looks absolutely gorgeous! Cider muffins are something I’ve never had but would jump at immediately :) And they’re pretty, too!

• Reply Ally December 30, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Classy & cute! Love the gold sprinkles…
    xo

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 30, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Thanks Cristina!  Your champagne cupcakes would go perfectly :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 30, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I was the same way!  I loved it!  Still do :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 30, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Isn’t it funny when you start to realize you no longer have a summer and Christmas bread :/.  It’s the real world now!  Enjoy :)

• Reply Anonymous January 1, 2012 at 4:21 am

I just made these for my family for nye. When I asked my husband what flavor cupcakes to make tonight, he said sparkling cider. Sounded good, so I googled and yours came up… So excited because they are awesome!! I iced them with a sparkling cider buttercream. Thanks for posting. They are wonderful and your picture is beautiful too.

• Reply Kammie @ Sensual Appeal March 21, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Do you think hard apple cider would work instead of sparkling cider? I’m looking for a hard cider recipe and none of them look as good as I’d like but this one looks wonderful except for the fact you didn’t use hard cider. Let me know please :)

• Reply Kammie @ Sensual Appeal March 23, 2012 at 12:48 am

Borrowed your recipe for the cupcakes except I used hard cider :) Check it out here, I’d love some feedback!

• Reply Krissy's Creations March 24, 2012 at 12:49 am

I saw your cupcakes!  They look wonderful!  Great job :).  {PS- Sorry I didn’t respond to your earlier comment about replacing the sparkling cider early enough.  I’m glad you just did it because they turned out perfect!}