Candies, Chocolate, Desserts, Gluten Free and/or Paleo

Homemade Peppermint Patties

December 9, 2011
It has been crazy cold here in San Diego.  San Diego normally has perfect weather.  Pretty much 90% of the time it is warm during the day and barely cold at night.  But this week has been different.  There is a chill in the air during the day, and really cold at night, about mid-high 30 degrees F to low 40s.  That might not be cold for you who live on the east coast, but it’s really cold for San Diego.

With the chill in the air there is nothing more I want to do then sit at home, put on a fire, cuddle under a blanket, eat soup, and finish off the night with a sweet treat.  Well last night I did all these things, and as long as it’s cold here in San Diego I will continue.

Another thing that I like to do on cold winter nights is bake.  We’ll I like to do that always {as I’m sure you know that by now}.  But I especially like to bake on nights when I know I am going to enjoy the dessert by a fire on a cold night.

Earlier this week I made these Homemade Peppermint Patties as a nighttime treat.  I wanted to make something that was simple, quick, and with ingredients that I already had on hand.  These peppermint patties were the perfect answer.

To make this homemade candy all you need is sweetened condensed milk, powdered sugar, peppermint extract, and chocolate.  These ingredients are pretty common and most bakers have these in their cupboards at all times {as least I do}.

Before I go more into describing these peppermint patties, I want to make sure you know what this treat replicates.  You know the York Peppermint Patties you see in the candy aisle – These are a homemade version.   When looking at those candies at the store you would never think that the homemade version would be so simple.  But they are!  They take no more than 30 minutes of active time to make and are made out of pantry staple ingredients.

Even though the filling is mostly made up of the powdered sugar, the sweetened condensed milk helps with balancing the sweetness and not making this treat too overly sweet.

Just like most homemade treats, these peppermint patties are much better than the store-bought version.  Plus the satisfaction of creating something on your own instead of purchasing it from a store is reason enough to make your own candy at home.

The flavors of these peppermint candies go perfectly with Christmas and the winter season.  Make them this season and enjoy them in front of a fire cuddled under a blanket.  Enjoy!

Homemade Peppermint Patties
For Printable Version, Click here!
Makes: About 30 Candies
14 ounces Sweetened Condensed Milk
6 ½ cups Confectioners Sugar
1 tablespoon Peppermint Extract
3 cups Dark Chocolate, Chopped
2 tablespoons Shortening

In the bowl of stand mixer, beat together the sweetened condensed milk, 3 cups of powdered sugar, and the peppermint extract.  Add the remaining powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time, until the dough is stiff but still easy to handle.

Using your hands, grab a small 1-inch piece of dough and roll it into ball.  Flatten the ball into a round disc and place on a baking sheet.  Repeat with the remaining dough.  Place the discs into the freezer to chill for about 30 minutes.

In the meantime, melt the chocolate.  Place the chocolate in a heatproof and microwave-safe bowl.  Microwave the chocolate for 30 seconds, then remove it and stir.  Place it back in the microwave and repeat microwaving for 30 seconds and stirring until the chocolate has completely melted and is smooth.  Add the shortening and stir until it has completely melted into the chocolate.

When the patties have hardened and are thoroughly chilled, remove them from the freezer and place them on the counter next to melted chocolate.  Place a large piece of wax paper next to the melted chocolate.

Place one patty on top of one fork and dip into the chocolate.  Using another fork, coat the patty completely and carefully place it onto the wax paper.  Repeat with the remaining patties.

Allow the patties to cool on the wax paper until hardened.   To speed up the process you can place the patties in the refrigerator to chill.  Keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.  Enjoy!

These peppermint patties last up to 2 weeks when kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Recipe from Savory Sweet Life

Banana Royal Ice Cream Cake
Balsamic Chocolate Truffles
Blackberry Jam

• Reply Tina@flourtrader December 9, 2011 at 10:00 am

These look so rich and delicious.  I love York patties and the idea of making them at home would definitely be a savings from buying them.    If they are half as tasty as they look I would be in heaven, saved this recipe.  Glad you posted this one!

• Reply Julie @ Table for Two December 9, 2011 at 2:09 pm

This is so cool! Never knew it was this easy to make peppermint patties! I should make a bunch of these & give them away for christmas :)

• Reply Audra (Baker Chick) December 9, 2011 at 3:22 pm

How cute are these Krissy?? I love York peppermint patties so I am sure I’d adore the homemade version even more. Wonderful post!

• Reply Matt @ FaveDiets December 9, 2011 at 5:49 pm

This looks delicious! I would love if you shared this in my holiday recipes Blog Hop. Enter it for a chance at a Wilton Pre-Baked Gingerbread Tree Kit!

• Reply Kiri W. December 9, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Ooooh, my in-laws are going to love these for Christmas! :)

• Reply Theresa December 9, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I’ll have to try this recipe! They are one of my favorite holiday candies & would love to try making them homemade! Great gift idea.

• Reply Janet@FCTC December 9, 2011 at 7:58 pm

These look fantastic, Krissy! peppermint patties always remind me of my dad cause they were about his favorite candy. May have to try these this year in memory of him :-)

• Reply Susanne Voros December 9, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I love peppermint patties… I like them frozen so they are super cold.  These look amazing.

• Reply Sarah@SarahCupcake December 9, 2011 at 11:37 pm

That’s it! These are going in my cookie boxes for sure. =) Seriously love this.

• Reply Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} December 9, 2011 at 11:43 pm

YUM!  These would be such a nice change to the traditional cookies or bread.

• Reply Reem | Simply Reem December 10, 2011 at 5:08 am

Love these….
    They are just the way peppermint  indulgence should be cold — super cold…

• Reply sarah December 10, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Oh wow- these look so, so fantastic! Perfect for curling up on a chilly night.

• Reply Mel (Sharky Oven Gloves) December 10, 2011 at 9:11 pm

These look so delicious!  And really easy to make, too.  I bet they would make excellent treats to give as gifts!

• Reply KimBee December 11, 2011 at 5:16 am

Congrats on top 9. These are so incredible.

• Reply Sandra's Easy Cooking December 11, 2011 at 5:56 am

Just stopped to Congratulate you on wonderful top 9!!! Those look addictive and of course beautiful!!!:))

• Reply DessertForTwo December 11, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Yum!! I would love to make these!

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 11, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Thanks Sandra! I love finding out that I’m on Top 9 from you :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 11, 2011 at 4:27 pm

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 11, 2011 at 4:27 pm

They would! A great addition to any gift basket :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 11, 2011 at 4:27 pm

So true!  They taste amazing right out of the refrigerator!

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 11, 2011 at 4:28 pm

They would be!  It’s nice to change it up from the tradition cookie :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 11, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I’ve never tried frozen, only out of the refrigerator.  I’ll have to try that next!

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 11, 2011 at 4:30 pm

What a great way to remember your dad! With a tasty, homemade treat :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 11, 2011 at 4:31 pm

These homemade versions are so easy and taste better than the store-bought ones!

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 11, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Thanks Matt!  Just shared :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 11, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Thanks Aundra :)!

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 11, 2011 at 4:31 pm

It is! Soooo easy :)!

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 11, 2011 at 4:32 pm

You do save $ by making them at home!  And they are super tasty :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 11, 2011 at 4:32 pm

That’s how I ate them and they were perfect :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 11, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Yah!  So happy your going to make them :) I’d love to hear how they turn out!

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 11, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Yes they will :)!!

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 11, 2011 at 4:34 pm

You should make them :) They are so easy and tasty!

• Reply Sashaskog December 11, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Quick question:  what is the shortening for in the melted chocolate?  If I don’t have shortening in my pantry, is there something I can use instead?

• Reply Meghan Cole December 11, 2011 at 11:10 pm

So my husband is pretty much in love with York and that’s all he wants in his Christmas stocking. I think these homemade treats will be better! I’ll let you know how they come out. :)

p.s. Congrats on the top 9! The photos are fab.

• Reply scratch-made wife December 11, 2011 at 11:11 pm

p.s. Congrats on the top 9! The photos are fab.

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 12, 2011 at 12:14 am

The shortening is meant to thin out the Chocolate – This makes it easier to coat the patties.  If you don’t have shortening you can add butter instead, or don’t even add anything.  Hope this helps :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 12, 2011 at 12:14 am

Thanks Meghan!  I’d love to know how they turn out!  {and if your husband likes them :)}

• Reply Jen December 12, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I got some homemade peppermint patties as a gift a few years ago, and I haven’t eaten a store bought one since!  They are SO good!

• Reply Lauren December 15, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I just finished whipping up a batch of these…insanely easy, and they are SO GOOD! My husband normally isn’t much of a York pattie fan, but holy crap…I had to hide the batch so he wouldn’t eat the entire thing in one sitting! Thank you SO much! :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 16, 2011 at 12:41 am

Yah!!  SO happy that you made the Peppemint Patties and liked them!  They’re pretty addicting aren’t they :). Enjoy!

• Reply Christywkemp December 16, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Hi Krissy, my friend pointed me to your blog and I tried the peppermint patties yesterday.  Only thing is that I spaced and put almond extract in instead of peppermint.  Instead of scratching the whole batch I just went ahead and made almond patties.  They turned out great.  My family loves them.   I imagine they would be good with other flavors too.  Next time I am going for peppermint though.  Thank you and happy holidays.

• Reply leighbee December 18, 2011 at 5:45 am

I made these tonight and they are perfect!! Thank you!!

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 19, 2011 at 12:40 am

Ooo what a happy mistake :).  I never thought of using other flavors, I will definitely give it a try!

• Reply sarah December 20, 2011 at 11:20 pm

These look great! Can’t wait to try them!

• Reply Terry albright December 23, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I made your Peppermint Patties and they were delicious.  Can’t wait to share some with friends and family for the holidays.  Love it!

• Reply mona gabriel January 28, 2012 at 1:04 am

this is my favorite candy……thanks for the recipe..

• Reply Denver dog bite attorney May 9, 2012 at 8:47 pm

How adorable!! I think home made versions of store bought candy and other treats is always a nice touch, as a gift or something. Great post, I can’t wait to try them 😀

• Reply Cwarefield August 13, 2012 at 6:48 pm

what did i do wrong? i added all the ingredients and everything, but my patties still didnt turn out as nice as yours. i ended up freezing mine in the freezer, and just slathering the chocolate on top, instead of dipping them, when i tried to dip them the just seemed to strech out, and not hold their shape.

• Reply Krissy's Creations August 14, 2012 at 4:59 am

I’m sorry they didn’t work out well for you.  When you freeze them they should hold their shape better in order for them to be easily dipped.  Since I don’t know exactly what you did, I don’t know exactly what happened.  But I can recommend maybe adding a little bit more confectioners sugar to stiffen them up.  Hope this helps!

• Reply l_mc December 2, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Krissy, Can you tell me what brand/type of dark chocolate you used?

• Reply Valerie December 16, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I’ve made these two years in a row. They are always popular. I would note that this year I chose to temper the chocolate instead of using shortening to make it shiny. It was super easy and made it so the chocolates had a solid finish at room temperature and could be stored that way. I use the seed method of tempering as described here: