Buttercream & Frosting, Chocolate, Cupcakes, Desserts

Vanilla Bean Buttermilk Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream

November 28, 2011
Vanilla-Bean-Buttermilk-Nutella-Cupcakes-4
I have been in a really weird procrastinating mood.  I have items on my baking list that I have planned to make for a couple weeks now.  For some reason I keep pushing them back and back, and you know what, I still haven’t made them!  I don’t know what’s come over me.  Maybe it was Thanksgiving and all the baking and cooking that comes among with it.  Or maybe it’s the planning and preparing for Christmas season that has gotten me to procrastinate all my other plans.
Well, enough is enough, I’m baking those items today!

Even with all the procrastinating that happens, it doesn’t mean I don’t bake.  I just don’t bake the items on my “Things I want to bake” list.  What happens is I see an item I want to bake and I bake it.  Instead of looking over my list and then bake from that, I just bake from what I just found in a book, magazine, or online (or thought up in my head).  These Vanilla Bean Buttermilk and Nutella Cupcakes are an outcome of when that happens.

I was looking through one of my favorite cake books, Sky High: Irresistable Triple-Layer Cakes, when I saw this amazing looking Vanilla Buttermilk Cake.  I knew I had to make it right then.  So I did.  Except I made a few changes and made them into cupcakes topped with a Nutella Buttercream.
The result was an extremely fluffy and springy cupcake that rose so much that the tops of the cupcakes ran over.  The taste was incredible, the texture was incredible, but they rose wayyyy to much.  So I scratched that batch and made a whole new one.  Don’t worry, I didn’t waste those cupcakes; I’m turning the crumbs into cake lollipops!
I tweaked the recipe by lowering the baking powder, and only filled the cupcake liners half way.  The outcome was a perfectly risen cupcake!  The flavor and texture stayed the same, with the look being more appealing.
I topped the cupcakes with a nutella buttercream, which added a nice slightly chocolaty touch.  Then I sprinkled some white chocolate sprinkles on top to add a bit of crunch.
This cupcake is definitely one that I going to bake much much more!  It’s a great fluffy base that will go with every flavor.  I can’t wait to play around with it more and add Christmas flavors, like peppermint, marshmallow, cranberry, and pistachio.
Enjoy!

Vanilla Bean Buttermilk Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream

Makes: About 28 cupcakes
Vanilla Bean Buttermilk Cupcakes
4 Eggs
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste (or the seeds of 1 Vanilla Bean Pod, or 2 teaspoons of Pure Vanilla Extract)
1 ¼ cups Buttermilk
3 cups Cake Flour
2 cups Sugar
3 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
½ teaspoon Salt
1 cup (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, at Room Temperature
Nutella Buttercream
1 ½ cups (3 Sticks) Unsalted Butter (Softened)
3 cups Confectioners Sugar
1/8 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
1 cup Nutella
To make the vanilla bean buttermilk cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line 2-3 cupcake pans with baking cups.  This recipe makes a little bit more than 24 cupcakes, so you might need to have a third cupcake pan ready.
In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla bean extract, and buttermilk.  Set aside until needed.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Add the butter and beat until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.  Add the egg mixture in 3 additions, beating well in-between in each addition and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
Divide the batter among the prepared baking cups, ONLY FILLING UP THE CUPS HALF WAY.  This is important!  The first time I baked these I filled them 2/3 of the way (like usual) and they over-rose and baked over the edges.
Place the cupcakes in the middle rack of the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted into a few cupcakes comes out clean, about 25 minutes.  Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes.  Remove the cupcakes and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
While the cupcakes are cooling, make the nutella buttercream.  Cream the butter in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, about 5 minutes.  Add the confectioners sugar and salt and mix, gradually increasing in speed, until the sugar is fully incorporated.  Add the vanilla and whisk until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes – you may need to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple times.
When the buttercream is fluffy, add the nutella.  Whisk for another 5-8 minutes until the nutella is fully incorporated and the buttercream is light and fluffy again.
Frost the cupcakes as desired.  I placed the frosting in a piping bag fitted with a large closed star tip, and piped small circles on the top surface of each cupcake (starting from the middle of the cupcake working outwards).  I also sprinkled some White Chocolate Sprinkles on top of each cupcake.
Cupcake recipe from Sky High.  Buttercream recipe adapted from Annie Eats, which was originally from Cooks Illustrated.

Povitica Bread
Cookie No-Dough Ice Cream
Rose Macarons

• Reply Julie @ Table for Two November 28, 2011 at 1:44 pm

This is so pretty & I bet super delicious too!!

• Reply Patti November 28, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I love your background picture, its so pretty, your cupcakes look and i’m sure taste wonderfully delicious.

• Reply Sandra's Easy Cooking November 28, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I can’t wait to see more of your baked goodies:)) These look absolutely amazing…and you got me at the part of the title “nutella” :))) I love your photos..Yummy!!

• Reply lester@cupcakeideasforyou.com November 28, 2011 at 6:40 pm

You made me so hungry just looking at this tasty cupcake recipe. The frosting made the cupcake so inviting and tasty. Thanks for sharing this wonderful cupcake recipe.

• Reply Kiri W. November 28, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Holy cow. Nutella buttercream? Do I hear angels sing? 😉 I’d love these, running over or not!

• Reply Sarah@SarahCupcake November 28, 2011 at 8:04 pm

These sound delicious. Pretty background, too.

• Reply Kelley November 28, 2011 at 9:02 pm

These cupcakes look absolutely fantastic. I love the last picture where you can see the crumb and the icing looks super silky. Beautiful : )

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 28, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Thanks Julie!

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 28, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I can’t wait to show you more of what I’ve got baking up for Christmas :).  Thanks Sandra!

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 28, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Thank you Lester!  I’m getting a bit hungry myself looking at these cupcakes :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 28, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Haha Thanks Kiri!  They did taste just as good when they were running over, just not as pretty! :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 28, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I love the background too!  Glad you noticed :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 28, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Thanks Kelley!  I like that  last picture too… It makes me want to take another bite :)

• Reply Foodness Gracious November 30, 2011 at 5:00 am

Hey Krissy, Glad to have stumbled on your fantastic blog! I love buttermilk in anything, I feel it gives a huge flavor boost so I can imagine what these cupcakes taste like.
    Great post!

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 2, 2011 at 12:52 am

So glad you found my blog too :)!  Thanks :)

• Reply Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut December 2, 2011 at 9:25 pm

These look AMAZING!  And I never thought to use nutella in  frosting before!  These are actually on my Friday Five Foodie Finds this week so thanks so much for the recipe! :-)

• Reply Anna // hiddenponies December 3, 2011 at 9:37 pm

YUM! I love a good, classic cupcake base and yours looks like a perfect one! Your plates are so beautiful too!

• Reply Audra (Baker Chick) December 4, 2011 at 12:13 am

These are gorgeous Krissy! That cake sure does look fluffy and perfect! So glad I found the recipe.

• Reply Sandra December 5, 2011 at 1:08 pm

These are so dainty and decadent at the same time. Your pictures are gorgeous.

• Reply MC December 11, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I love the colors in this picture! It looks yummy too!!! :)

• Reply Barbara January 4, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I made these yesterday for my friends and family.  They are a huge hit.  Thank you so much for sharing your passion.

• Reply Jennie @themessybakerblog.com March 9, 2012 at 6:13 pm

These look and sound amazing. I absolutely adore the flavor of Nutella. Your site is lovely, and your photos are beautiful.

• Reply Sarah June 4, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I would like to make this recipe for my birthday treat, only I’m using two 9″ cake pans. What amount of baking powder should I use?

• Reply Krissy's Creations June 6, 2012 at 6:16 am

I would use the same amount of baking powder that the recipe calls for.  I have actually made 2 8-inch cakes with this same recipe.  Enjoy!

• Reply Janey Ngow November 5, 2012 at 2:32 am

hi krissy, can i know what kind of measurements do you use for your 1 cup of buttermilk? the measuring cup that can be used for flour/sugar or weighing it out? i am a novice baker and would appreciate it if you can advise. thank you! Jan.

• Reply Kay February 11, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Hi Krissy!
    These cupcakes look fantastic!!  I use this same Buttercream recipe but it looks like the Nutella really makes it smooth and creamy. :-)   Typically I’ve seen this cake/cupcak  recipe with two additional egg yolks.  Did you incorporate those into yours or leave them out?

• Reply Jenny February 26, 2013 at 2:03 am

Its in the oven =] cant wait !

• Reply Jenny February 26, 2013 at 2:58 am

its moist & delicious ! =)

• Reply mom March 2, 2013 at 6:27 am

could u plz give me the recipe with 1 cup flour

• Reply Monica June 14, 2013 at 9:49 pm

WOW…..I made these solely because of how they looked in the picture and let me just say…a picture is worth a thousand words, THEY ARE AMAZING! Thanks for sharing, my new fav vanilla cupcake!!!!

• Reply Anonymous June 16, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I don’t know how you got light and fluffy cupcakes from these instructions, but I sure didn’t. They didn’t rise and came out dense. I made a second batch and instead of following the steps above, I creamed the butter and sugar. Added the eggs one at a time. Added the vanilla. Then alternated adding the butter milk and dry ingredients. I was able to fill the muffin tins 1/2-2/3 full and only had to bake them for 20 minutes. Otherwise, the cupcakes taste great with the Nutella Buttercream frosting the