Buttercream & Frosting, Cupcakes, Desserts

Red Velvet Cupcakes

November 2, 2011
IMG_6939
There are some recipes that I bake where I don’t change a thing.  I always first try the recipe as it’s originally intended.  Then if I like it as is, I keep it that way.  But if I feel it needs tweaking then I play around with the recipe until I get it just right.

Some recipes are changed a little bit and some are changed a lot.
This is a recipe that I tweaked over and over again until it was perfect.  They were small changes but they really affected the way the recipe turned out.  In the end I came out with the best red velvet cake.
A good red velvet cake recipe is one of those cakes that you need to have in your repertoire.  It’s a necessity, just like vanilla and chocolate.

Well this is my red velvet cake and I hope that it becomes yours as well :).  It’s moist, soft, slightly tangy, flavorful, and perfectly red.
I almost always top my red velvet with the classic cream cheese frosting.  It’s the perfect combination.  But don’t feel like you have to top the cake with cream cheese frosting, any type of frosting works great!
Enjoy this wonderful classic that I love oh-so-much.

Red Velvet Cupcakes
1 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz. Cream Cheese, Softened and at Room Temperature
¼ cup (½ stick) Unsalted Butter, at Room Temperature
1 cups Confectioners Sugar
1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line 2 cupcake baking pans with baking liners.  Set aside.
Place the sugar, butter, and sour cream in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix until creamy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly between each addition.
In a small bowl, mix together the cocoa powder and food coloring.  Add this mixture to the batter and mix until the food coloring has colored the batter.
Sift together the cake flour and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the batter in three additions, alternatively with the milk (starting and ending with the flour).  Mix in the vanilla.  Add the baking soda the batter, but do not mix.  Pour the apple cider vinegar on top of the baking soda; this will create a bubbly reaction.  Mix the batter until all the ingredients are fully incorporated and it is smooth.
Divide the filling among the prepared baking cups, filling about 2/3 of the way up.  Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a few cupcakes come out clean, about 25 minutes.  Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes.  Carefully remove the cupcakes and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
While the cupcakes are cooling, make the cream cheese frosting.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, cream together the cream cheese and butter.  Add the confectioners sugar in 2 additions, slowly mixing in-between each addition.  Mix in the vanilla, and whisk until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
Once the cupcakes are completely cool, place the frosting in piping bag fitted with your favorite tip (I used an open star tip).  Frost the cupcakes by piping on top of the cupcakes in a circular motion.  Serve and enjoy :)!
These cupcakes last about 1 week in a sealed container at room temperature.

S'mores Bars
Pumpkin Sponge Roulade Cake [Gluten-Free]
Chocolate Cola Cupcakes

• Reply Maria November 3, 2011 at 2:24 am

Krissy…you just read my mind. This is next. Can’t wait!

Maria K.
    NYC

• Reply michele November 3, 2011 at 3:22 am

okay seriously….i too was looking for a good red velvet recipe…i’ve made your caramel sauce twice now and it has been a hit everytime!!!

• Reply Melissa November 3, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Nothing like a good red velvet cupcake… and this was a GREAT red velvet cupcake!

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 3, 2011 at 4:35 pm

@michele
    Oh good! So glad to hear people liked the caramel sauce :). Let me know how these turn out next!

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 3, 2011 at 4:38 pm

@Maria
    Yah! Thanks Maria :)

• Reply mybeautifuldisasters November 3, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I’ve never had red velvet cake before, for some reason it’s freaked me out! lol, I don’t know why. But yous sounds so delicious!!! I’ve gotta give it a try, thanks for the recipe :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 3, 2011 at 10:12 pm

@mybeautifuldisasters
    You definitely have to try Red Velvet… It’s one of my favorites :)!

• Reply A Feast for the Eyes November 4, 2011 at 3:16 am

Lovely blog! I love to bake, but I haven’t had much time. I think I’ll peruse around a while and drool a bit.

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 4, 2011 at 4:45 am

@A Feast for the Eyes
    Thank you!!

• Reply Sandra November 9, 2011 at 11:01 pm

You used pink coloring and achieved the perfect shade of red. Now I know I have to try this.

• Reply min January 22, 2012 at 5:19 am

Hi Krissy,
    The cakes look great. I am always scared of using lots of colours. Is there an alternative to using 1 tablespoon of the red colour.
    Thank you.

min

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 24, 2012 at 6:35 am

Hi Min, Unfortunately I’ve never used a natural substance to color the Red Velvet Cupcakes.  I have heard that beet juice works, but I’ve never done this before.  You might be able to find the answer on google.  Sorry :/

• Reply Caecilia Derrick April 2, 2012 at 12:34 am

Krissy, your red velvet icing recipe is asking for 1 cup of confectionary sugar, is that correct?  Should it not be 4 cups of confectionary sugar to 8 oz of cream cheese and 1/4 cup of butter?  Thanks in advance for getting back to me.

• Reply Krissy's Creations April 2, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Hi Caecilia, The recipe listed is correct.  If you need to you can add more confectioners sugar to stiffen up the frosting. Enjoy!

• Reply Kelly April 18, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I wonder instead of using milk and apple cider vinegar, could you just use buttermilk?

• Reply Krissy's Creations April 19, 2012 at 4:10 am

Yes you can.  But I think the buttermilk adds a heavier texture than plain milk.  But you can use whichever you prefer :)

• Reply Anonymous May 24, 2012 at 2:34 am

I don’t get it!!!!!!!!

• Reply Ruth May 28, 2012 at 7:55 pm

could i replace the cream cheese for low fat/ fat free? thanks

• Reply Krissy's Creations May 30, 2012 at 4:49 am

Yes.  Both should work well.  Enjoy!

• Reply Awesome- May 15, 2013 at 7:28 am

hi dear Krissy..thank you for the recipe that i really wanna try..

• Reply Leslie August 1, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Could you do this as a cake instead of cupcakes?

• Reply Dorie Appleton August 1, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Adding vinegar to the milk makes it a suitable product close to buttermilk.

• Reply Krissy's Creations September 15, 2014 at 5:26 am

Tried this cake yesterday for my hubby’s birthday and it turned out fabulous. Thanks for sharing.

top sites, Ipe Decking website