Buttercream & Frosting, Cookies, Desserts, Gluten Free and/or Paleo

Lavender Macarons

November 8, 2011

My husband is leaving me tomorrow.  Ok, that’s probably a bad way to say it.  Don’t get any bad ideas!

IMG 7139IMG 7145

Steve is leaving for about 1 week to go to Hawaii.  He’s not going for vacation.  I know, who goes to Hawaii and doesn’t plan to lay by the beach and hike to beautiful waterfalls?  We’ll Steve isn’t planning on doing any of this fun Hawaiian stuff.  He is going to Hawaii to remodel his grandma’s condo.

IMG 7228

This is a long time for us to be apart.  I know it doesn’t seem that long, it’s only 1 week.  But we are together all the time.  Like… All.  The.  Time.  We own a business together.  We work together. We eat together.  We do almost everything together.  So a week seems like eternity to not be together.

IMG 7236

But my plan is to bake and cook, a lot!  This will pass the time.  I want to bake more complicated and time consuming desserts, like chocolate croissants, homemade puff pastry, and layer cakes.
And French Macarons, like these beauties!

IMG 7248

Macarons are a complicated dessert to start making.  Start making being the key words.  The key to making macarons is to start with a good recipe and know the process.  Once you have these, then you will quickly get a hang of it and be addicted!  You also need to be patient.  Don’t rush the process.  Follow directions and everything will come together.  Don’t be discouraged if it takes you a couple times to get the process.  Be confident and you will get it!

IMG 7273

These macarons are fun, colorful, and elegant.  They are lavender macarons filled with a pretty purple basic buttercream.  I dyed the macarons pink to add an extra girly touch.  To get the lavender flavor, I topped the macarons shells with small lavender buds that I purchased them from Williams and Sonoma.   These buds added just enough lavender flavor to add a perfect floral touch without being too overwhelming.

IMG 7263

If you want to make macarons but don’t have lavender (or don’t want to go out and get lavender), you always make these without any extra flavorings.  No matter what you do, these Lavender Macarons are beautiful and delicious, and would be a perfect addition to any occasion.

PS — I went to a wonderful Food Blogging Festival this past weekend!  Pictures & Details tomorrow 🙂

Macarons

Lavender Macarons
Makes: About 30 Macarons
*Measuring the ingredients in weight in necessary in making macarons.  Because of this, a kitchen scale is needed in making them*

Macaron Shells
90 gr Egg Whites
30 gr Sugar
200 gr Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
110 gr Almond
Basic Buttercream
1 ½ (3 sticks) Unsalted Butter (Softened)
3 cups Confectioners Sugar
1/8 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
Lavender Buds, for toping the shells
Pink and Purple Food Coloring (Optional)

To make the macaron shells, place the egg whites in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.  Whip the egg whites until they begin to foam, about 2 minutes. Slowly add the sugar to the egg whites while the mixer is still going.  You might need to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple times.  Continue to whip the egg whites until stiff peaks have formed.
While the egg whites are whipping, combine the powdered sugar and almonds in a food processor and pulse until the almonds are finely ground.  If you cannot get your almonds to grind fine enough, sift the mixture and then pulse the almonds again that did not sift.
Once the almonds are finely ground, add the mixture to the whipped egg whites.  Fold the egg whites quickly at first to break up some of the air.  Then continue to fold the mixture carefully until the batter flows like a thick ribbon.  It should take no more than 50 folds for the batter to reach the right consistency.  To color the shells, add a few drops of the pink food coloring (I prefer to use gel or powdered food coloring to not add any extra water to the batter).  If desired, add more coloring to make the color more concentrated.
Using a piping bag fitted with large round tip (I used Ateco #808), pipe small rounds onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat (parchment paper works good too).  The rounds should be no larger than 1.5 inch in diameter.  Be careful to not pipe the rounds to close to each other – give space for them to spread.
Sprinkle the tops of each macaron shell with lavender, about 1/8 teaspoon.
Let the macaron shells sit for at least 30 minutes, until their shells are hardened.  Preheat the oven to 280 degrees F.
While the macarons are baking, make the buttercream.  Cream the butter in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Add the confectioners sugar and salt and mix (gradually increasing in speed) until the sugar is fully incorporated, about 5 minutes.  You may need to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple times.
Add the vanilla and whisk until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Once the buttercream is creamy and airy, the buttercream is done!
To color the buttercream, add about 10 drops of the purple food coloring to the frosting.  Mix until the food coloring had colored all of the frosting and no white is showing.
Back to the macaron shells.  Bake the shells for 15-20 minutes.
Cool the macarons on the baking sheets and then transfer to a wire rack.  Match the macaron shells in pairs.  Place each pair next to each other, with one of the shells topside down.
To fill the macarons, pipe a small round on the macaron shell that it topside down.  Top with the other matching macaron shell.  Serve and enjoy :)!
Macaron recipe from Tartelette.  Buttercream recipe adapted from Annie Eats.

Pink, Purple, and Green Lemon Cake
Funfetti Waffles
Blackberry Buttermilk Bundt Cake
  • Jenni November 8, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Beautiful job! I still have yet to master the macaron. I’ve had a few attempts, but they have always ended horribly so far! I think I need to give it another attempt, though, because these are so cute and girly!

• nicole {sweet peony} November 8, 2011 at 5:56 pm

these are so cute! and they match your blog background 🙂

anyways, great job! i’ve tried to conquer the macaron twice & haven’t been completely successful. i’m planning on trying again this week because macarons are one of my biggest baking goals right now!

• Tina November 8, 2011 at 6:29 pm

These are awesome, such eye catching colors! Making these little gems does require some patience as well as trial and error..my 2nd attempt is still pending. Thanks for the encouragement and inspiration, I may just try making them over the holidays.

• Emily @ NewlyWife November 8, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Very cute! I love the colors. I’ve made macarons once with a friend and it was pretty challenging. I think I’ll wait a while until making them again. Although they were pretty addicting!

• Krissy's Creations November 8, 2011 at 6:33 pm

@Jenni
    Thanks Jenni! I had unsuccessful events at first, but you just gotta keep going & you’ll get it :)!

• Krissy's Creations November 8, 2011 at 6:35 pm

@nicole {sweet peony}
    Macarons was one of my *major* baking goals! After I mastered it, I was hooked :). Let me know how they go this week!

• Krissy's Creations November 8, 2011 at 6:36 pm

@Tina
    Thank you Tina! The colors are my favorite part :). I’d love to hear how your second attempt goes!

• Krissy's Creations November 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm

@Emily @ NewlyWife
    They are challenging, but completely worth it! Thanks Emily 🙂

• Lauren at Keep It Sweet November 8, 2011 at 7:12 pm

These are gorgeous! Macarons are definitely on my list of things to try when I have some time to make them.

• Kiera November 8, 2011 at 9:49 pm

These macarons match your site perfectly. So cute! I support your croissants endeavor. You should time is such that they are coming out of the oven just as your husband walks in the door. And be like oh? What? These little things. I just threw something together for you…

• Krissy's Creations November 8, 2011 at 10:01 pm

@Lauren at Keep It Sweet
    Thanks Lauren! Macarons are one of my favorites to make… You have to try them 🙂

• Krissy's Creations November 8, 2011 at 10:03 pm

@Kiera
    Such a GREAT idea… I’m totally going to do that! And he loves Croissants so he will very happy :). Thanks Kiera!

• Kristin November 9, 2011 at 4:34 am

These are gorgeous! I absolutely love your photos and the colors are so pretty!

• Krissy's Creations November 9, 2011 at 8:29 am

@Kristin
    Thanks SO MUCH Kristin!

• MyFudo™ November 9, 2011 at 8:30 am

I thought this was a Barbie inspired post 😉
    Of course I was just kidding…I love the pink and lavender combination on dainty macarons. Lovely! I would have loved these treats (10 years ago, LOL!) at my sweet sixteen party. I really want to try this recipe. Love it, I pinky and lavendery-swear!

• Audra November 9, 2011 at 2:27 pm

These are so pretty Krissy! I love them! I need to learn how to make these stat! I wish my home was near your home so I could bake with you when Steve was away! xoxo

• Jessica sing November 9, 2011 at 3:04 pm

This looks wonderful! I can’t wait to try it. I hope your week goes by quickly!

• Krissy's Creations November 9, 2011 at 4:36 pm

@MyFudo™
    Haha, Ya the colors are very girly! I thought they would be fun and cute 🙂

• Krissy's Creations November 9, 2011 at 4:37 pm

@Audra
    I know, me too! You could come over & we can bake macarons together 🙂

• Krissy's Creations November 9, 2011 at 4:37 pm

@Jessica sing
    Thanks Jessica :)!

• Kelvin Wu November 9, 2011 at 5:07 pm

They look perfect! And I think Justin Bieber might like the colour too! lol

• Krissy's Creations November 9, 2011 at 5:09 pm

@Kelvin Wu
    Hahaha! Thanks Kelvin 🙂

• DessertForTwo November 9, 2011 at 5:29 pm

These are SO pretty! I could eat 10 of ’em right now!

• Krissy's Creations November 9, 2011 at 5:36 pm

@DessertForTwo
    I could totally do the same thing right now! Haha.. Thanks :)!

• hellolisanne November 9, 2011 at 6:53 pm

these are beautiful! the colors are simply stunning… straight out of a fairy tale.

• Krissy's Creations November 9, 2011 at 7:08 pm

@hellolisanne
    Ooo LOVE the fairytale description! Thanks so much 🙂

• livingthesweetlifedotwordpressdotcom November 9, 2011 at 7:15 pm

How beautiful!! I’ve never tried making macarons (far to scared!!), but these ones are absolutely gorgeous

• Krissy's Creations November 9, 2011 at 7:26 pm

@livingthesweetlifedotwordpressdotcom
    You totally have to try! The work will pay off :). Thanks!

• Christine knapkins_com November 12, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Hey Foodies, Krissy’s Lavendar Macaron recipe has been selected by Knapkins to be featured in a Recipe Guessing Game. Invite fans to play: http://knapkins.com/guess_games/581?source=blog

• Sarah Catherine November 16, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Wow! These are strikingly beautiful! Love the choice of colors. Hope your husband is home safe. I went to the blogger fest too. Can’t wait to look at your festival post!

• Anonymous December 12, 2011 at 4:44 am

Hi krissy your macarons looked absolutely gorgeous. Been wanting to attempt 2nd time but was afraid to u til I saw your recipe. Would like to ask you a few questions before I attempt. 110gm almonds (if pre grounded almonds, should I Use 110 gms as well or more)
    Also for the oven mode? Should I use the fan
    Mode or just normal mode? Looking forward to your reply. Thanks

• Pringran October 2, 2012 at 12:13 am

Why are the amounts in grams?

• Anonymous March 20, 2013 at 11:33 pm

You have made some decent points there. I looked on the web
    for more information about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this web site.

Also visit my web site … vacation destinations in march