Buttercream & Frosting, Chocolate, Cupcakes, Desserts

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes

November 10, 2011
I have 3 stand mixers.  Gasp!  I know.  Just hear me out before you start thinking that I’m crazy.
I bake a lot.  I think you know that by now :).  I mean a lot.  A lot.
There are days when I bake 4 or 5 or more things in 1 day.  These days happen more often than not.  When these days do come around I am prepared.  I am prepared to make a batter in one mixer, a frosting in the other, and bread dough in the other.
Believe it or not, it’s not just those busy baking days that I use all 3 mixers.  There are many recipes that I bake that have multiple components that require a mixer.  When I’m in the groove of baking, I hate having to stop to clean the dishes.  With the extra mixers on hand, I am able to keep on baking without having to clean my mixing bowl.
This cupcake recipe has 3 different components, all of which require a stand mixer. We’ll technically you don’t need  a stand mixer, you can use a hand mixer, or bowl and spoon, but we all know the stand mixer makes the job SO much easier, especially for cake batters and frostings.
Here I give you one of my absolute favorite cupcakes.  It’s a Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcake, filled with an egg-less Cookie Dough, topped with a Cookie Dough Buttercream.  How amazing does that sound?!  Now can you just imagine how amazing it tastes?
Well, it tastes just as amazing as it sounds.  It’s like your living in cookie dough heaven.
You start out with a brown-sugared base cupcake, scattered with warm and gooey chocolate chips.  Then you fill the cupcakes with a cookie dough that is held together with sweetened condensed milk, and not eggs.  You finish the cupcakes with a buttercream mainly consisting of brown sugar, butter, flour, and milk.
Brown sugar is the main ingredient in cookies, so it is really prominent in each component of this recipe.
You can top the cupcakes with chocolate sprinkles or chocolate chips to really up the cookie level.  I decided not to do it this time because I wanted to simplify the cupcakes.  However, they are delicious no matter which way you decorate them.
I’m aware that not everyone has 3 stand mixers.  Don’t think you can’t make this wonderful cupcake.  You’ll just have to use an extra hand mixer, or clean your bowl a couple times.  Enjoy!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
¾ cups Brown Sugar
3 cups Confectioners Sugar
1 cup All Purpose Flour
½ tsp. Salt
3 tbsp. Milk
2 ½ tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
Chocolate Sprinkles or Chocolate Chips, For Topping (Optional)
Start with making the filling.  The filling needs to firm for at least one hour, so I suggest making this first and then baking the cupcakes.  To make the cookie dough filling, combine the butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy.  Add the flour, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla and mix until smooth.  Mix in the chocolate chips.
Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and cover with plastic wrap.  Place the bowl in the refrigerator and let chill for at least 1 hour, until firm.
To make the chocolate chip cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Place baking cups in 2 cupcake pans.  Set aside until needed.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Alternating with the milk, add the flour mixture in 3 additions, starting and ending with the flour mixture.  Mix in the vanilla.  Remove the bowl from the mixer and, with a spatula, fold in the chocolate chips
Using a ice cream scoop, fill the baking cups 2/3 of the way up.  Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a few of them comes out clean, about 20 minutes.  Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, and then remove from the pan and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
While the cupcakes are cooling, make the cookie dough buttercream.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar until light and creamy.  Add the confectioners sugar and mix until fully incorporated.  Mix in the flour and salt.  Add the milk and vanilla and beat until smooth and creamy.
To fill the cupcakes, cut/poke a hole in the middle of each cupcake.  I use an apple corer; I think it’s the easiest way that creates the best results.  If you do not own a apple corer, you can use a small knife to cut a hole in the middle of the cupcake.  If the cookie dough filling is hard enough, place a small piece of cookie dough into each hole.  If it is still a little bit loose, place the filling in a piping bag and pipe small amounts in the center of each hole.
To frost the cupcakes, place the frosting in a piping bag fitted with your favorite tip.  Pipe the frosting in a circular motion onto each cupcake.  If desired, sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles or mini chocolate chips.  Serve and Enjoy :)!
Recipe from Annies Eats.

Rustic Strawberry Pie
Red Velvet Bundt Cake
Strawberry and Blueberry Shortcake Tart

• Reply Jenni November 10, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Hahaha you crack me up. Three mixers? The most important question, though, is what color are they? Did you get all three the same or did you get three different?

These cupcakes look amazing, too! Cookie dough ice cream is my husbands favorite, so I might have to surprise him with these one day! Thanks for the great recipe!

• Reply Melissa November 10, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I remember eating cookie dough straight out of the container when we were little. Oh the good old days!
    I’ll have to make these with my ONE MIXER. 😉

I have a request!

• Reply nicole {sweet peony} November 10, 2011 at 5:12 pm

i love these cupcakes! i made them this spring for a party & everyone loved them. i topped mine with mini chocolate chip cookies (the way annie did).

anyways, what i wouldn’t give to have just a 2nd mixer! maybe when we get a bigger place that can be my house-warming gift ha!

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 10, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Haha I know 3 mixers seems like a lot! I have an orange (it’s so cute!), black, and silver. I like to mix it up with colors :). My husband is a huge cookie dough fan as well and he LOVED these!

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 10, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Got it! More Savory items coming :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 10, 2011 at 5:45 pm

@nicole {sweet peony}
    I made these with mini cookies too, they added a cute touch :). Once you get that second mixer, you’ll be SO happy you did!

• Reply Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} November 10, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Oh honey, you read my mind! I have such a hard time staying away from cookie dough. It is my kryptonite. That and cheesecake…and peanut butter and chocolate… and… 😉

• Reply Sandra November 10, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Must try and will overeat.

• Reply Megan November 10, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Oh man, those sounds amazing!! And I am jealous of your three mixers, for those crazy baking days!

• Reply Russell at Chasing Delicious November 11, 2011 at 1:31 am

Yum! What a scrumptious recipe. I love these!

• Reply Jenn @ Baking Jenn's Blog November 11, 2011 at 2:11 am

My boyfriend would LOVE these. I’m asking for my first stand mixer for Christmas. I just recently got really into baking. That’s really cool that you have three.

• Reply Taylor November 11, 2011 at 3:10 am

These look insanely delicious!! And 3 stand mixers?! Girl, you’re crazy! :)

• Reply Melissa @TryingtoHeal November 11, 2011 at 3:55 am

Wow, this look absolutely amazing!!! I can’t believe you have three stand mixers; I wait for the day when I have even one! haha!

It was so great meeting you this last weekend! I hope we can figure something out next time I’m in SD; I def want to go back to the campus!

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 11, 2011 at 5:24 am

@Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom}
    Haha.. I’m the same way!

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 11, 2011 at 5:26 am

Let me know if you try them :). Just so you know… You might get addicted! Haha

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 11, 2011 at 5:26 am

Thanks Megan! The 3 mixers really do help A LOT :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 11, 2011 at 5:26 am

@Russell at Chasing Delicious
    Thanks Russell!

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 11, 2011 at 5:28 am

I know, I know, I’m crazy! Haha… What can I say, I love to bake :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 11, 2011 at 5:29 am

@Melissa @TryingtoHeal
    Thanks Melissa! You have to get a mixer, it will make life so much easier!

• Reply Kim Bee November 12, 2011 at 6:18 am

New follower. I love your blog. These cupcakes are stunning. You take beautiful pictures.

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 12, 2011 at 5:35 pm

@Kim Bee
    Thanks Kim! I hope you enjoy Krissy’s Creations :)

• Reply Lizzie November 23, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Made these as a “trial run” Monday, now I’m remaking them today for Thanksgiving.  SO GOOD!!!

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 23, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Ooo Yah!!! Glad you liked them!  I hope you enjoy them as a Thanksgiving treat :)

• Reply Jo foodepix November 27, 2011 at 4:36 pm

This looks so delicious. Would love for you to share this with us over at foodepix.com.

• Reply malindabeexo January 30, 2012 at 1:41 am

So cute! Wondering how you piped these– i would LOVE to know. I’m staring at them wondering how they were done.

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 7, 2012 at 3:03 am

I just put the frosting in a piping bag fitted with an open star tip.  Then I piped in a circular motion starting in the center.  Nothing too fancy :).  Enjoy!

• Reply jen ~ one curly fry March 6, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I LOVE cookie dough buttercream. I could sit and eat it all day!

• Reply Elaine Scotton March 29, 2012 at 7:41 pm

okay, is it just me, maybe, but i can’t find 7oz of condensed milk…hate opening a can and not using the whole thing…

• Reply Krissy's Creations April 2, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Sorry Elaine.  I’m able to find 7 oz. in my local grocery store.  But if you can’t you can always make a larger batch of the cookie dough and use if for other desserts.  Enjoy!

• Reply K Sullivan727 June 22, 2012 at 6:03 pm

;D yuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmyyyyyyy they smell so nice. Pool party tomorrow and we will all eat them together!

• Reply Ashbug1221 June 22, 2012 at 6:05 pm

GURLLL CAN I COME 😉 I likes me some pretty big muffins baby.