Buttercream & Frosting, Cupcakes, Fruit

Strawberry Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting

August 27, 2011
IMG_4192

I have this need to bake with strawberries.  If I pick up a pack of strawberries I have this urge to immediately bake with them.  To tell you the truth I can’t even remember the last time I bought strawberries and actually ate them fresh, as is.  I’m not sure if that’s a bad thing or a good thing.  No matter what, those strawberries are eaten one way or another.

With my last purchase of strawberries I made strawberry scones (that I showed you earlier this week) and these strawberry cupcakes.  This cupcake recipe is one of my favorites.  I have been using it for at least a couple years now.  It is actually the famous Sprinkles Cupcakes recipe.  When I first found it I made it exactly how it stated on the recipe.  But over time I have adapted it to what I think it now perfect..,. At least for now :).
These cupcakes have a great strawberry flavor.  They get the flavor from fresh, pureed strawberries.  Because fresh strawberries don’t give off an overwhelming pink/red color, I like to add a little bit of pink food coloring.  This is of course optional if you don’t want to add any artificial coloring.  If you decide not to add it in them the color will be more of a beige/very pale pink.  I like my cupcakes to be a more pronounced pink color so I add just a little bit of food coloring.
I topped these cupcakes with a Marshmallow Frosting.  This frosting tastes just like marshmallows – its delicious!  I love it not just only because of the amazing taste, but also because of the super white color and the way it holds its shape.  The texture is also just so light and fluffy, almost like air.
The combination of the light frosting with the fluffy strawberry cupcake is definitely a winner!  My obsession with baking with strawberries continues…

Strawberry Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting

Makes: About 12 Cupcakes, About 30 Mini-Cupcakes
Strawberry Cupcakes
1 cup Strawberries – Pureed into ½ cup
1/3 cup Milk
2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
¼ tsp. Salt
½ cup (1 stick) Unsalted Butter, at Room Temperature
1 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
2 tsp. Pink Food Coloring (Optional)
Marshmallow Frosting
8 Egg Whites
2 cups Sugar
1 tsp. Cream of Tartar
1 tbsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
To begin making the cake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Place cupcake liners in one cupcake pan, or in 2-3 mini-cupcake pans.  Set aside until needed.
In a food processor, puree the strawberries (it should be ½ cup).  Pour the pureed strawberries into a small bowl, and add the milk and vanilla extract.  Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs and beat until incorporated.  With the mixer on low speed, gradually add half of the flour mixture.  Once the flour has fully mixed in, beat in milk mixture.  Then gradually add in the remaining flour and mix until fully incorporated.  Mix in the pink food coloring, if using.
Using a ice cream scoop, divide the batter among the cupcake liners.  Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.  Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then remove and let cool completely.
While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting.  In a large, heatproof bowl (I used the bowl of my stand mixer), combine the egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water and whisk constantly until the sugar has completely dissolved and the mixture is warm, about 4-5 minutes.
Transfer the bowl to a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk, gradually increasing in speed, until stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes. Add the vanilla and whisk until incorporated.  *Do not make this frosting ahead of time.  It needs to be used immediately.
To frost the cupcakes, place the frosting inside of a piping bag fitted with a round large tip.  Place the tip over the center of the cupcake and apply pressure to release frosting, without moving the tip.  When the frosting has created a “herseys kiss” shape, release the pressure.  Sprinkle with pink sprinkles, if desired.  Serve and Enjoy :)!
Cupcake recipe from Sprinkles Cupcakes, via Martha Stewart.  Frosting recipe from Martha Stewart.

Milk Bar Mondays – Apple Pie Layer Cake
Blackberry Jam
Peanut Butter Fudge Cake

• Reply michele August 27, 2011 at 3:12 pm

first, can i tell you again how much i love your blog…i clicked on it today, and was so happy there was a saturday post!! (: i’ve been wanting to try the marshmallow frosting, and having the strawberry cupcake recipe, just gives me more incentive…btw..i love how most of your recipes have household ingredients…love love love reading what new, fun, and creative thing you and your kitchen are up to!!!

• Reply Krissy's Creations August 27, 2011 at 5:31 pm

@michele
    Thanks Michele! These type of comments are part of what keep me going :)

• Reply Lauren August 27, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Your cupcakes look scrumptious! I have to second what michele said–it’s great that your recipes (especially this one) use household ingredients. No need to run out to the store for this one! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Krissy's Creations August 27, 2011 at 9:57 pm

@Lauren
    Thank you for the wonderful comment Lauren! Enjoy :)

• Reply The Procrastobaker August 28, 2011 at 10:57 am

Im the total opposite, i keep buying fruit and eat it before it gets the chance to be baked into something scrummy! I think i might be able to make an exception for these lovely cupcakes though, they are beautiful!! :)

• Reply Tanvi@SinfullySpicy August 28, 2011 at 5:34 pm

These strawberry cakes look so so pretty! I love strawberries in baking and have made cupcakes myself once but need to try your recipe now!

• Reply Krissy's Creations August 28, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Thank you everyone for the wonderful comments! They truly put a smile on my face :)

• Reply megseverydayindulgence August 28, 2011 at 5:56 pm

These sound amazing and the photography is just beautiful!

• Reply Galexi Cupcakes August 29, 2011 at 12:33 am

I love your blog. So glad to have found your blog. Consider me a new reader. Jackie

• Reply Krissy's Creations August 29, 2011 at 12:42 am

@Galexi Cupcakes
    SO glad to hear you enjoy Krissy’s Creations! Thanks Galexi Cupcakes :)

• Reply Krissy's Creations August 29, 2011 at 12:44 am

@megseverydayindulgence
    They are definitely one of my favorites! Thank you for the comment! Enjoy :)

• Reply Jenn (Cookies Cupcakes Cardio) August 29, 2011 at 4:33 am

Your pictures are beautiful! I have also baked with this Sprinkles recipe, but I’m intrigued to try your changes.

• Reply Anonymous August 31, 2011 at 3:39 am

yummy (:

• Reply Melissa September 1, 2011 at 3:06 pm

These cupcakes are so cute! They are light pink and little :)
    Totally perfect for a little girls party or even big girls party.

• Reply Dolls Kids September 16, 2011 at 9:11 am

Amazing blog and cupcake recipe! I just love the effect on the second picture! Thank you for sharing the recipe and making my day a lot brighter!

• Reply Tabby Lamb September 16, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Oh my, these cupcakes are lovely. You are so creative, the cupcakes got the right color combination to entice people to get one. I am pretty sure this is a hit on parties.

• Reply Krissy's Creations September 17, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Thank you again for all the wonderful comments! I’m SO glad you enjoy Krissy’s Creations and these Strawberry Cupcakes :)

• Reply Audra September 30, 2011 at 3:37 am

What amazing pictures! I think these are your best yet Krissy- so beautiful!

• Reply Amy November 7, 2011 at 10:12 am

I tried making these last night, and WOW they are amazing – so light and totally delicious! The smell from the oven when they were cooking was so good too! 😀

• Reply Krissy's Creations November 7, 2011 at 7:52 pm

@Amy
    Oh great!! SO happy you tried these & liked them :)!

• Reply Anonymous November 17, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Since Ive been trying to experiment frosting with vanilla cream,cream cheese etc.My folks told me to reduce the sweetness.Is your frosting not that sweet? I like your blog.

• Reply Ananta79 February 17, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Hi your pics are so cute…these look yummy! Just wanted to know, can this recipe be used to frost a whole 9 inch layer cake with a jam filling. Just wondering if to use the whole recipe or half it?

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 20, 2012 at 6:21 am

Are you just asking about the frosting?  If so, yes this frosting recipe will make enough to frost a 9-inch cake.

• Reply Melissasmith9 March 19, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I made these this weekend and they were a hit!  They turned out perfect. The marshmallow frosting is delicious!

• Reply Makeup_by_Elizabeth April 6, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Hi just want to know can I make these cupcakes with frosting a day in advance ? Do I need to refrigerate ?

• Reply Krissy's Creations April 13, 2012 at 5:28 am

Hi Elizabeth, I actually don’t recommend making this frosting in advance.  It looses it texture and becomes gummy and sticky.  It’s definitly best the day of.  Love to hear how it turns out!

• Reply Annina August 29, 2012 at 3:25 pm

oh … these really sound great! A friend’s birthday is coming up and I was looking for a great marshmallow recipe without actually using marshmallows :)
    You have a lovely blog! I will definitely come by more often!

• Reply Lizsoleimany-Mimi's cupcakes November 27, 2012 at 5:38 am

So we must use frosting immediately, we can’t keep for later to decorate more cupcakes? Hmm, I read of one that we can store up to 2 wks…I think it’s the marshmellow fluff one..

• Reply Laura March 31, 2013 at 10:13 pm

What do we use with the other 1/2 of strawberries?

• Reply Krissy's Creations April 1, 2013 at 3:52 am

Hi Laura, Sorry about that confusion. It’s 1 cup of WHOLE Strawberries that, when pureed, turn into 1/2 cup. Hope that helps!

• Reply Jmsmomof3 July 6, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Just made these for my daughters Princess Birhtday Party. The batter is delicious cant wait to taste the tomorrow. I’ll be using a Strawberry Buttercream frosting instead. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!!!

• Reply Anonymous February 6, 2014 at 11:11 am

Do you think that you could use thawed strawberries that have been pureed?

• Reply Tracy Fontaine February 9, 2014 at 5:30 am

Made these today with cup4cup gluten free flour mix and they turned out well – very yummy. However, I will say the frosting was WAY more than I needed, and I frosted liberally. One quarter of the amount would have sufficed.

• Reply Carolyn February 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm

These look amazing. I’d like to make these for a charity breast cancer event in a few weeks time. Can you advise what type of sugar you use for the frosting?

• Reply snb March 1, 2014 at 3:59 am

How long will these cupcakes keep and what’s the best way to store them? Do they freeze well?