Breads & Biscuits, Breakfast & Brunch, Buttercream & Frosting, Desserts

Baked Doughnuts

June 15, 2011
IMG_0364
I  love sweets.  Wait is it obvious?
I am sure you know by now that I love anything sweet.  AnythingAnything.  I love the obvious sweets – Candy, Ice Cream, Cakes – but I also love the more non-obvious sweets.  Like fruit!  Fruit has a natural sweetness that I crave.  They say that fruit is natures dessert.  When I heard this I knew why I liked fruit so much :).
Ok, now back to the guilty, indulging kinds of sweets.  Not that fruit isn’t indulging, it’s just not the same.  You know what I mean…
I’m taking about the kinds that make you so happy while your eating.  You’re smiling when you’re eating them.  And then after you eat them you feel that little bit of guilt.  That guilt where the healthy side of you is saying, “Why did I eat that!”  But your indulging side is saying, “Thank you!” I listen to both sides pretty equally.  That’s how I get to live a fun and healthy lifestyle.
A healthy and fun lifestyle is being able to say no and yes.   Does that make sense?  It does to me, but I know I say things sometimes and people have no clue what I’m saying.  So let me explain.  You can’t just always say yes to every food.  You have to control yourself and say no.  If you didn’t than that would be unhealthy for you.  But you can’t say no all the time.  You need to let yourself indulge sometimes.  Enjoy life!  Enjoy food!  Ok does that make sense now?  I think I might have confused you.  Ah, its ok… let’s continue!
A doughnut (or donut – however you want to spell it) is one of those indulging foods.  Very very very indulging.  You definitely can’t have a donut for breakfast every day and be healthy.  Eating a donut in the morning is not the healthiest way to start your day.  I mean come on.  Who ever thought of frying dough, topping it with sugar, and serving it for breakfast?  So random right!  You think it would be more of a dessert item.  Who ever invented donuts probably invented it to be a dessert.  But someone in America thought, “This would be an amazing breakfast!” and then it happened – a dessert item for breakfast.  Don’t quote me on this history, I’m just talking :).
I have treated myself to a fair amount of donuts in my day.  I ate them much more when I was younger, but I still have one here and there.  With my love for sweets it’s natural for me to want to eat sweets for breakfast.  And I never said I opposed to that dessert for breakfast idea… I actually love that idea.  Just can’t do it often.  Even though I wish I could!
One thing that makes donuts not so good for you is that they are fried.  But this is what makes them incredibly delicious.  So I thought… can I make a baked donut that is just as good?  I searched the internet and found out that people have been doing this a lot lately.  When I found a recipe that I liked I got out my donut cutter (Yes I bought one from Williams and Sonoma because I couldn’t resist one day) and made baked donuts!
What a revelation!  They were doughy and soft and really flavorful.  And much healthier than fried donuts!  However, don’t think that these taste healthy.  They are just healthier.  They are just as indulging as normal donuts and definitely give you that sweet fix.  Make them for breakfast, a snack, or dessert, and you won’t be missing those fried donuts anymore!
I made 2 variations of these donuts – one that is topped with cinnamon-sugar, and the other that is dipped in a vanilla glaze.  Each way was equally delicious.  I couldn’t decide which one I liked more.  You can top your donuts whichever way you prefer.  Or you can do half and half like I did.   Either way, I know you will enjoy these yummy baked donuts!

Baked Doughnuts
Makes: About 15 doughnuts (& donut holes)
For the Dough
3/4 cups Warm Milk
1 packet Active Dry Yeast
1 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
1/3 cup Sugar
1 Egg
2 ½ cup All Purpose Flour
Pinch of Nutmeg
½ tsp. Salt
For the Glaze
* Enough to glaze all the doughnuts
¼ cup Milk
1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
2 cups Confectioners Sugar
For the Cinnamon Sugar Topping
*Enough to cover all of the doughnuts
½ cup Unsalted Butter
1 cup Sugar
1 tbsp. Cinnamon
To make the dough, place ¼ cups of the warm milk in the bowl of a stand mixer.  Sprinkle the yeast over the milk.  Let sit for 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining ½ cup of milk with the sugar and butter.  Add it to the yeast mixture.  Stir to combine.  Add the egg and stir until incorporated.  Add the flour, nutmeg, and salt and stir until the dough starts to form.  Change to the dough hook and knead for until the dough starts to become smooth.  If the dough is too sticky, slowly add more flour until it is no longer sticky.
Transfer to the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic and has formed a ball.  Place the dough ball in a large lightly greased bowl, and cover with plastic wrap.  Let sit in a warm place for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
Once the dough has risen, roll it out on a lightly floured surface until ½ thick.  Using a doughnut cutter (if you don’t have a doughnut cutter, you can use 2 biscuit cutters – 1 that is about 3 inches, and the other that is about 2 inches for the inner circle) cut out the doughnuts until you have no dough left.  If desired you can gather up the scraps into a ball and roll it out and cut out more doughnuts.  I prefer not too because I feel the dough becomes too tough.
Place the doughnuts on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper, about 2 inches apart.  Cover with a clean towel and let sit for about 45 minutes.
Preheat the oven 375 degrees F.
Place the baking sheets in the oven and bake for 7 minutes, until lightly golden brown.  Be careful to not overbake these.  You want them to be light and doughy inside.  Let the doughnuts cool for about 5 minutes until ready to top with either the glaze or cinnamon sugar topping
While the doughnuts are cooling make the glaze and/or cinnamon sugar glaze.  Each recipe makes enough to cover all the doughnuts.  I made a half recipe of each and topped half of the doughnuts with each topping.  Or you can choose to just do one of topping for all the doughnuts.
To make the glaze, combine the milk and the vanilla in a small saucepan.  Heat over low heat until just warmed.  Slowly add in the confectioners sugar and whisk until the mixture is smooth.  Remove the glaze from the heat and place over a bowl of warm water.
To glaze the doughnuts, dip them halfway into the glaze and place on a draining/cooling rack set over a baking sheet.  Sprinkle with sprinkles if desired.  Let set for about 10 minutes.
To make the cinnamon sugar topping, melt the butter in a saucepan or a microwave, and place in a small bowl.  Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl.
To top the doughnuts with cinnamon sugar, dip the halfway into the melted butter.  Then dip them into the cinnamon-sugar mixture.  Set on a draining/cooling rack to set, about 5 minutes.
Serve and enjoy :)!
Baked Doughnuts recipe from 101 Cookbooks.  Glaze recipe from Alton Brown.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Brown Butter Glaze
Red Velvet Bundt Cake

• Reply michele June 15, 2011 at 1:56 pm

okay that is sooo funny…i just bought the doughnut pan from crate and barrel to make these…yummy!!!

• Reply Medeja June 16, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I like that they are baked! Look even better than deep fried..

• Reply cynthia & Gigi June 17, 2011 at 8:09 pm

wow these look soo good ! im going to have to try these :)

• Reply The Allen Family July 31, 2011 at 4:56 am

Oh. My. Goodness. I once saw a recipe for baked donuts and tried it and it was a complete failure. I am SO excited to try these. Probably tomorrow morning. THANKS!!

• Reply Krissy's Creations July 31, 2011 at 1:57 pm

@The Allen Family
    So glad to hear your going to make these! Love to hear how they turn out :)

• Reply Jess @ littlegirlbigappetite August 1, 2011 at 2:28 pm

These look great! Love that I dont need a pan for these

• Reply berngirl August 27, 2011 at 9:14 pm

was all excited to make these until I realized something wrong with the recipe. In the list of ingredients it says “1 egg” In the instructions it says add “the eggs”. Which is it and how many eggs!!

• Reply Unknown August 27, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Sorry, me again. It also says “remaining 1/2 of milk”, that should be “remaining 1/2 cup of milk” right?

• Reply Krissy's Creations August 27, 2011 at 9:56 pm

@berngirl
    Sorry about the slight mistakes :/! Thank you catching it and letting me know. I have updated the recipe to the correct measurements and words – It is 1 egg and then you add the remaining 1/2 of milk. Hope this helps! Enjoy the doughnuts :)

• Reply Unknown August 28, 2011 at 2:50 am

Got them made! The only problem is is that it doesn’t make a bigger batch!! Yummy, I made them for coffee time at church and I can’t stop from wanting to snack on them!! I made some little donuts and holes and I think I rolled the dough out too thick as I didn’t get as many as I should have. But they are amazing for a baked doughnut!!
    Thanks so much for the recipe. Next time I may shape them in squares like beignets and see if I can fill them with preserves or jam or cream filling!!

• Reply Krissy's Creations August 28, 2011 at 3:13 am

@Unknown
    I’m SO glad to hear that you made (and enjoyed!) these doughnuts! Filling them with jam and cream is a delicious idea! That is definitely next on my list :)

• Reply darcy August 29, 2011 at 8:26 pm

So one or two eggs?

thanks! the shots are beautiful.

• Reply Krissy's Creations August 29, 2011 at 9:21 pm

@darcy
    1 egg :).

Enjoy!

• Reply Noeska September 11, 2011 at 8:19 am

Thank you for this great recipe! I made these last night and they tasted great! I added 180 grams of chocolate to the glaze, which also tasted divine!

Picture here: https://www.gamecakes.nl/?p=340

• Reply Chase, Paige, baby Link October 9, 2011 at 4:15 pm

does the butter need to be melted??

• Reply Krissy's Creations October 9, 2011 at 4:41 pm

@Chase, Paige, baby Link
    The butter doesn’t need to be melted. Room temperture butter is just fine. Enjoy :)!

• Reply Anonymous November 19, 2011 at 8:47 am

i found your website by accident and i decided to make the baked doughnuts……i was impressed!!!!they were delicious and the most imporant they are healthier than the fried ones!!!i gave the recipe to a friend of mine and she just told me the same thing….congratulations and greetings from greece….amalia

• Reply Carole Douglas November 26, 2011 at 7:17 pm

sounds/looks yummy    : 9      will make them one of these days;  maybe a rainy one…   just a note:  the donuts were originally created during the war… I believe the 1st world war, to combat hunger… when the men returned from a battle, the women served fried flat cakes to the soldiers. Few ingredients were available, so this was a do-able. There are many stories on-line re: donuts; even how they got their hole.

• Reply Anonymous November 29, 2011 at 1:22 pm

How long can the doughnuts last? Should they be kept in the fridge or just airtight containers
    Thanks

• Reply Guest December 6, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Does the milk need to be whole milk?

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 6, 2011 at 4:27 pm

No, it does not need to be whole milk.  Any will do.  I’ve done Fat Free and it worked fine.  Hope this helps :)

• Reply Tiffanyleehill December 7, 2011 at 7:06 pm

i’m going to try these tonight!i hope they are as great as they look!

• Reply Tiffanyleehill December 7, 2011 at 8:01 pm

if i don’t have nutmeg what shouldi use? cinnamon?

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 7, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Hi Tiffany!  If you don’t have nutmeg, I would just omit it instead of substituting another spice.  Good luck!

• Reply Billi5 December 24, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Do you think you could make the dough ahead of time and refrigerate overnight and get the same results?

• Reply Krissy's Creations December 26, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Hi Billi,
    Yes you should be able to refrigerator the dough overnight without any major differences.  Enjoy!

• Reply Smellen:D December 28, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Instead of dipping the doughnut in butter, i brushed it on i think it uses less butter i only used 1/4 cup so butter not even and it covered all of them, GREAT recipe I love it

• Reply Thehillsofmaine January 12, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Do you have the nutritional values seperated?  Calorie, fat/carb/etc.

• Reply scarlet January 13, 2012 at 5:30 pm

well i’ll definitely try to replace 3/4 of regular flour with whole wheat flour and instead of white suggar use some brown muscovado… just to make it a bit more healthier than they already are… 😀
    thx for great recipe!

• Reply Kristina January 13, 2012 at 10:36 pm

These look amazing!  But, I’m no baker and the thought of making the dough is a little terrifying.  I have a bread maker.  Do you think I could make the dough in the machine some how?  Any suggestions?

• Reply unknown January 14, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I had the same issue of my batch not producing as much as the recipe says that it should. Not sure why that is? I even used all of the scraps of my dough too, and only came up with 12 doughnuts. …any ideas on why that is? I feel like I rolled them out fairly thin…so I’m not sure

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 16, 2012 at 3:39 am

The quantity that this recipe is supposed to produce is just an estimate.  It all depends on how thin you roll out the dough, along with how large/small your donut cutter is.  If you want to make more donuts, I would double the recipe.

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 16, 2012 at 3:51 am

I don’t, sorry.  However you should be able to calculate the information with the nutritional information on the back of each ingredient.

• Reply Anonymous March 14, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Hi…I’ve made fried doughnuts from the pillsbury dough to make biscuits n they’re incredible so do u think I can use this same dough I’ve been using for baked doughnuts or do I have to make it by scratch

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 16, 2012 at 3:54 am

I’ve never used a Bread Machine so I wouldn’t know if it would work or not.  However, this bread is very easy and would just give it a try :).  Gotta start somewhere!

• Reply Jenmgrantham January 19, 2012 at 4:52 pm

My mouth for real started watering  just reading about these!

• Reply Mafibosler4 January 30, 2012 at 6:05 pm

i divided my glaze in half, adding cocoa powder to it! yummy! a chocolate glaze. great recipe, thanks for sharing!

• Reply Jennyleaburton February 2, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I always do my dough in the bread machine because I hate using mixers or doing it by hand. Just turn it on the dough setting and let it mix/knead until it is the consistency you want- then take out to raise:)

• Reply Hellison February 11, 2012 at 9:57 pm

For the doughnut holes was there any difference in the baking time? I’m thinking about making these with a heart shaped cookie cutter for Valentine’s day breakfast!

• Reply NannaDK February 13, 2012 at 2:33 pm

They look amazing! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I’m going to make them now, but I was wondering if they are any good after a few days, or if they have to be eaten the same day?

• Reply Krissy's Creations February 14, 2012 at 5:30 pm

They are best the same day, but are still good after a couple days.  Enjoy!

• Reply audrey February 20, 2012 at 3:36 am

One thing I would recommend is a pinch of sugar with the milk and yeast to help it rise and bubble better.  I did it in my recipe, and I felt it made my doughnuts that much more fluffy.

• Reply dashing dish March 8, 2012 at 3:20 am

yum!!!

• Reply Mariah March 14, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Looking forward to seeing how these turn out.  They’re on the second rising right now and look good so far!  I still don’t know if I’m going to glaze them or sugar them.  These already look better than the time I tried make zeppolles.

• Reply Cs Childs March 25, 2012 at 12:25 am

I don’t even know how I found your blog, but I am not letting it get away. Everything here looks evil, in the best way possible. Happily following your blog :)

• Reply brooke March 28, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I made them today with my 4yr old who LOVES sweets.  I think I need to measure the flour next time without the help of little hands, the dough was dry and stiff.  They taste good, but too heavy and dense but my 4yr old LOVES them and we had fun making them.  We will make them again.

• Reply Gina Black Slaker April 2, 2012 at 6:36 pm

just made the baked doughnuts…just wonderful…sprinkles and all…thanks for sharing.

• Reply Veronica Holtz April 9, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Found these through Pinterest and decided to try them when I was on my own for Easter. A. MAZING! I may have baked mine too long, but still, they were delish! Thanks for sharing!! Also, BIG thanks for making the recipe available through Google Docs! Excellent idea!

• Reply Sbvs4you April 12, 2012 at 7:28 pm

OMG!  So delish!!  I went out and bought a donut cutter right away and I am sooooo happy I did, so amazing!!  Thanks for such an easy and tasty recipe!!

• Reply Ree April 27, 2012 at 4:12 am

I think I did something wrong… :-( They taste doughy more like a dinner roll…

• Reply Maria R.- December 3, 2014 at 4:30 am

Mine tasted also like bread :/

• Reply Krissy's Creations May 1, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Hi Ree,  These doughnuts are much more doughy them your normal fried doughnuts.  However, they should still be light and fluffy.  When you glaze them and cover them with cinnamon sugar they taste more like a sweet doughnut.

• Reply Han May 3, 2012 at 1:24 am

Wow these are perfect!!!! I’m making my third batch in the space of three days; that’s how great this recipe has gone down with my colleagues and friends! Very easy. I use a breadmaker, combining all the ingredients in it and letting it do all the hard work. After 1.5 hrs in the breadmaker I roll the dough out and cut the donuts, then let them sit for 45 mins as it’s stated in your recipe. Then a quick bake, and I prefer the cinnamon topping so that’s what I’m tending to do. Absolutely love it! I’m sure this is going to become one of my staunch favourite things to bake and make when guests are coming to visit. Especially as I live in a town where our nearest donut shop (Tim Hortons) is a 6 hr drive (12 hr round trip!). So donuts here are a  luxury. Wonderful recipe, thank you so much!

• Reply Therobinsnest May 3, 2012 at 11:27 pm

These were awesome. The kids thought they tasted like marshmallows… They said they look so big and then you bite in and its like air! Yummmmm… Made the glaze which was a huge amount next time i will half it… But THERE WILL be a next time… Yum Yum!!

• Reply stella May 7, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Is the baking time the same for the doughnut holes?

• Reply Krissy's Creations May 8, 2012 at 2:54 am

The doughnut holes take a little bit shorter to bake.  Enjoy!

• Reply Elizabeth Petersen May 20, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Just found you on Pinterest yesterday and my 3 year old and I made them today. I’m not a fan of doughnuts but loved these. Not too sweet. the cinn. and sugar were by far the best. great recipe and so glad we found you!

• Reply Skicutie44 May 21, 2012 at 4:01 am

do you know how many calories are in these?

• Reply kie. May 30, 2012 at 5:28 am

can you fry them instead of baking them … since i dont have any oven….

• Reply Krissy's Creations May 30, 2012 at 5:33 am

Yes, you can definitely fry these.  I’d love to hear how they turn out!

• Reply Katie DuPont June 9, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Did you use a metal bowl on your stand mixer? Ive heard that the metal has a negetive impact on yeast.

• Reply Anya June 12, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Thank you for sharing! I was wondering if I could use my breadmaker for this recipe!

• Reply Abra Alani June 19, 2012 at 12:41 am

These are really delicious, I discovered your site last night (through Pinterest) and decided to try this recipe this morning. I planned to just have one or two, and take the rest to work with tomorrow, but as it turns out I don’t know that I’ll enough to take anywhere by morning! Thank you for sharing. I plan to post a few photos on my blog with a link to your page here, let me know if you’d rather I didn’t and I can take it down. :)

• Reply Randi June 20, 2012 at 2:24 am

These are delicious! I made these for my boys and had to give a few away bc otherwise I’d eat them all. Thanks!

• Reply Krissy's Creations June 20, 2012 at 3:33 am

So glad you enjoyed these doughnuts! Feel free to share them on your blog, with pictures :) – I’d love to see!

• Reply Shannon June 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I was too! I can’t wait to try this!

• Reply Amy Williams June 23, 2012 at 5:08 am

I truly can’t wait to try these!!!

• Reply Maggiethecat June 23, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I use a metal bowl every time I make bread or rolls and always have fluffy, well raised dough.

• Reply Krissy's Creations June 28, 2012 at 4:25 am

Great suggestion Audrey!

• Reply the12yearoldchef July 3, 2012 at 3:21 pm

do i need the pinch of nutmeg, or can i just put in a pinch of cinnamon?

• Reply Quickeria July 3, 2012 at 3:26 pm

oops, i dont have a stand mixer. just a hand held mixer. can i still make them?

• Reply Quickera July 3, 2012 at 3:39 pm

i have a breadmaker, but how do you make the dough in it. haha ive never used one. my sister is the only one that knows hoe to work with it. ive never tried.

• Reply Wallizgrl July 3, 2012 at 4:13 pm

making these for breakfast for the morning. Can’t wait to give them a try! The kids of course insisted on sprinkles! :-) Thanks for posting, we have tried baked doughnuts before that didn’t live up to our expectations. So far I think these will do the trick! thanks again!!

• Reply Krissy's Creations July 6, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Unfortunately I have never used a breadmaker so I’m not quite sure if it work work.  Sorry!

• Reply Krissy's Creations July 6, 2012 at 3:50 pm

If you don’t have a stand mixer, a normal bowl and wooden spoon would work.  And then just use your hands to knead the dough.  Good luck!

• Reply Krissy's Creations July 6, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Nutmeg is not necessary.  You could just leave it out. Enjoy!

• Reply Krissy's Creations July 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Hi Katie & Maggie, Yes I use a metal bowl to make the dough. Enjoy!

• Reply Krissy's Creations July 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Unfortunately I do not.  Sorry!

• Reply Krissy's Creations July 6, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Great idea!

• Reply Natalie July 8, 2012 at 12:52 am

I make bread/dough all the time and don’t have a stand mixer. Just use your handheld until the dough gets too thick or there’s too much in the bowl to either overheat the mixer or the dough gets stuck inside the mixer. (That happened to me once. Not easy to clean out). When it gets to that point of overheating or too much just use a heavy duty spoon/wooden spoon to mix or, just do it the fun way. Get messy and do it by hand!

• Reply Anie July 9, 2012 at 11:36 pm

These came out more like sweet bread rather than a doughnut. Something about the texture was more bun like. Oh well.

• Reply Phannam July 11, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Anyone have a calorie count on these????

• Reply Sarah July 11, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Here’s the nutrition info! Not bad if you stick with one donut and hole 😉 Oh and btw this doesnt include toppings..for lower fat obviously go with the glaze cause there’s no butter.Nutrition FactsUser Entered Recipe  16 ServingsAmount Per Serving  Calories113.2  Total Fat1.6 g     Saturated Fat0.8 g     Polyunsaturated Fat0.2 g     Monounsaturated Fat0.3 g  Cholesterol13.1 mg  Sodium83.0 mg  Potassium27.9 mg  Total Carbohydrate21.8 g     Dietary Fiber0.6 g     Sugars6.8 g  Protein2.8 g  Vitamin A1.1 %  Vitamin B-120.5 %  Vitamin B-60.7 %  Vitamin C0.0 %  Vitamin D1.7 %  Vitamin E0.1 %  Calcium1.8 %  Copper1.4 %  Folate9.3 %  Iron5.3 %  Magnesium1.1 %  Manganese6.7 %  Niacin5.8 %  Pantothenic Acid    0.9 %  Phosphorus    2.7 %  Riboflavin6.3 %  Selenium9.5 %  Thiamin10.2 %  Zinc1.1 %*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

• Reply Krissy's Creations July 11, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Hi Sarah, Thank you for adding the nutrition info!

• Reply Cryinoutschlauds July 17, 2012 at 2:02 am

half my batch was a little tough :(  but were still yummy…gonna have to try again…might have over worked my dough

• Reply Holly July 26, 2012 at 2:28 am

These look awesome!   But the grammar nerd in me can’t help pointing out that it’s “indulgent” not “indulging” when you are describing them… You are indulging in an indulgent food!

• Reply Anonymous July 30, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Would evaporated milk work the same as regular? I can’t go to the store today, and I’m dying to make these! They look so delicious!

• Reply Jennifer S. August 1, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Quick question- does this recipe have to use a stand mixer? My husband and I have not bought one yet but I have a nice hand mixer with dough hooks. Please let me know if you think this will work- I am dying to try this recipe! :)

• Reply Carissa Almanza August 2, 2012 at 1:53 pm

In my bread maker I start off by putting all the liquid ingredients in first, making sure everything is room temperature. Next I put in the sugar, butter, eggs and oil. Lastly, put in the flour and make a well for the yeast and put it in there. Set the breadmaker to dough setting and let it go!

• Reply Alison Brockman August 3, 2012 at 5:08 pm

These are fantastic!  Thanks so much for this recipe.  The whole family loves them and my husband said they tasted like restaurant rolls before the glaze went on.  Yay!

• Reply krystal August 5, 2012 at 1:42 pm

how much is a packet of yeast? i live in europe and am not sure the sizes are similar?

• Reply Krissy's Creations August 7, 2012 at 4:44 am

Thanks for sharing your experience with a bread maker Carissa!

• Reply Krissy's Creations August 7, 2012 at 4:45 am

1 packet of yeast = 2 1/4 teaspoons. Enjoy!

• Reply Krissy's Creations August 7, 2012 at 4:48 am

Hi Jennifer, No a mixer is not needed.  You can just use a bowl and wooden spoon, and then knead the dough by hand.  Enjoy!

• Reply Anonymous August 8, 2012 at 5:48 pm

my dough came out too sticky and i got scared of adding too much flour so in the end i ended ip with 2 3/4 cup

• Reply Nadia August 14, 2012 at 1:13 am

If I glazed them with oil before I cooked them, do you think that they would brown more?

• Reply Krissy's Creations August 14, 2012 at 4:57 am

They should become more brown if you brush them with either oil or an egg wash before you bake them.  Enjoy!

• Reply Kmerrifield August 22, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Any idea if the dough would hold up if I decided to fill the doughnut holes with pastry cream and deep fry?

• Reply Jms353 August 29, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Can the dough be made the night before and then baked and topped in the morning?

• Reply Sasha Knight September 3, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Saw this on Pinterest. Awesome! Love your site, I now have you bookmarked.

• Reply Lydia M. September 3, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Making these today…so far so good! Getting ready to bake them. My family loves Kwik Star Glazers…have I found a healthier substitute?? We’ll see!!

• Reply Kendra September 12, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Made these today but I used my own cream cheese glaze on them! Yumm!

• Reply Han October 4, 2012 at 1:23 am

Yep just as Carissa said, it’s very easy – simply add the wet ingredients first, then heap the dry ingredients on top, and let the bread maker do the mixing and kneading! I’ll check it during the initial mix to make sure it’s the right consistency (sometimes I have to add more flour because it can be too wet and sticky). Making the dough in the breadmaker has been successful about 90% of the time.  I love it! Takes all the hard work out :)  I made donuts following this recipe again last night, fried them though instead of baking them. And they were honestly the best donuts I’ve ever had in my life (and I’ve had a few!). I’ve tried other fried donut recipes and none of them worked out well. Frying these donuts (even though they’re meant to be baked) worked out perfect! Now all I’ve got to do is master the filling.

Thanks Krissy, you’re a legend!

• Reply Xnosprinklesx October 4, 2012 at 8:22 am

i’ve been wanting to make these for a couple weeks. i only have instant yeast. how do i use that in substitution for active dry yeast?

• Reply Maggie October 7, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Could you use store bought dough for this recipe?

• Reply Aurea October 12, 2012 at 1:31 am

Did you try making this recipe with this method? I want to try it but I’m afraid that because the yeast wasn’t put with the milk it won’t rise

• Reply Emily: RainbowDelicious.com October 17, 2012 at 12:02 am

These look amazing! My daughter and I are going to make a batch of cinnamon sugar donuts right now, Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Verucasalt1975 October 20, 2012 at 4:25 pm

What can you use instead of milk and butter to make non-dairy donuts?

• Reply Taysia October 22, 2012 at 5:46 pm

For the dough part of the recipe, is the butter supposed to be melted?

• Reply Beth Petersen Sma October 25, 2012 at 2:51 pm

This is a great recipe. The cinnamon sugar ones tasted the most like a “real” donut. And I cheated adn used the Duncan Hines glazes.   Thanks for sharing your brilliance. Glad I found you on Pinterest!

• Reply K&R2007 October 27, 2012 at 12:26 pm

If i make the dough, do u think it would freeze for a couple of weeks? I want to make these and thought if i doubled it up i could freeze part of it. Thx!

• Reply Colleen Gavitt December 1, 2012 at 3:32 am

These look delicious.  Is it possible to freeze them?  I am trying to get some great recipes for Christmas morning and do the cooking beforehand.

• Reply Nygal26 December 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Great recipe!!!! I just made them and they are delicious.

• Reply Anonymous January 6, 2013 at 2:26 am

Good! Taste is on the sweet dinner roll side. If one is not used to substituting healthier versions of food they will probably not think of this as a donut. I used two pans. One pan with the silicone lining and one that is a donut pan. The silicone one made them more light and fluffy and I just molded tne dough into the donut shape. The donut pan needs less then 7 minutes. I topped mine with nutella.

• Reply Effiy January 7, 2013 at 9:26 pm

do you leave the towel on in the oven?

• Reply Cassie Venske January 10, 2013 at 4:38 am

Mine did too, Ree, even after I covered them with the glaze. Maybe ours just didn’t rise well enough!

• Reply Ohmmama January 12, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Do you think these could be made vegan? With an egg replacer and vegan butter? These look amazing and your website is awesome. I also found it on pinterest as someone else had mentioned. Keep pinning your awesome ideas!

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 14, 2013 at 4:50 am

Yes I do.  Remember the oven is off.  Enjoy!

• Reply Krissy's Creations January 14, 2013 at 4:50 am

I’m sure they would hold up great if frozen.  I’ve never tried but I don’t see why they wouldn’t.

• Reply Jevans February 2, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Would love to try these however I have neither a bread machine or fancy mixer, just a hand one and not sure how to adapt this recipe?

• Reply Nora February 10, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I can’t wait to try this recipe but I am just wondering if I make them a day or two earlier than I want to eat them, what would be the best way to store them? Thanks

• Reply Dana February 13, 2013 at 2:36 am

Did anyone else’s doughnuts come out like a bread roll?

• Reply Maria R.- December 3, 2014 at 4:20 am

Mine tasted like bread or pizza dough :/

• Reply Lianaj22 February 23, 2013 at 4:23 am

Wow.  These are totally amazing! YUM

• Reply Sherry R Sisemore February 26, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I made these last night, and found them tough and left a VERY strange after taste. Are they suppose to be airy and light, or more dense? I’m going to give it another go and try my luck again because they look SO great! And suggestions?

• Reply Anonymous February 27, 2013 at 9:56 am

If you’ve to have more than you may pay, then tend never to undertake it short term loans just as the method that you guard your own home, same is valid with your credit score.
    my page > short term loans

• Reply sherry February 28, 2013 at 10:32 pm

• Reply Martha Walker March 2, 2013 at 1:07 pm

My sister-in-law use to make these before she passed away. No one seem to have the recipe. I am so glad I found this. They are delicious.

• Reply Edith March 3, 2013 at 10:26 pm

hi ms krissy! just found your page. may i ask what do you mean about 1 packet of active yeast? how many grams ? no exact measurement? i want to try your donuts recipe. thanks!

• Reply Tibbyme March 4, 2013 at 4:51 pm

hi. how much is 1 packet of yeast? im in a foreign country and im afraid they might be different

• Reply Blueangele March 10, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Can I make them, cut them out and then freeze the dough before I bake them?

• Reply Roguekat3000 March 12, 2013 at 3:16 am

Do you have to use a round cutter?  And if the dough gets to tough, what do you do with the scraps?

• Reply Anonymous March 14, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Loved ur recipe the doughnuts are light amd pillow like . The kids didn’t want to share with anyone and my mum usually hard to please actually smiled when she tasted them and came back for seconds yaaaaaiiiiii. Thank u so much for posting it . Wonderful doughnuts .

• Reply Kitty Vogt March 16, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Maybe it was just me…but man…mine did not work at all. they turned out like a dinner roll, not light and fluffy :(

• Reply igotthismartha March 20, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Yum! I just bought a doughnut pan last week, and I am going to give these a try!

• Reply Stefani April 4, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I Don’t Know If I Made Mine Right But They Came Out Tasting Like Bagels

• Reply Angie April 10, 2013 at 4:05 am

I just made this recipe and my husband love them. I’m afraid I added to much flour because there were a little dense, but the flavor it what matters. Also did the kneading on hand so next time I’ll try not to add so much flour. I love your blog I’ll try to made more of you recipes.

• Reply Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats May 14, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Yum! These look great!

• Reply Bam June 9, 2013 at 12:04 pm

How much is in a packet of yeast? I have a tub of it…

• Reply Katie June 9, 2013 at 9:31 pm

how can i make the recipie for just 1 or 2 people?

• Reply Krissy's Creations June 18, 2013 at 2:42 am

You can cut the recipe in half but I wouldn’t lessen it any more. Enjoy!

• Reply Krissy's Creations June 18, 2013 at 2:43 am

2 1/4 teaspoons. Enjoy!

• Reply Ashley June 19, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I just made tried making these, but they came out tasting kind of like sweet pizza dough. They’re a little funky, but not totally inedible (especially with chocolate icing!). I might have to try the cinnamon topping.

• Reply kmee July 2, 2013 at 6:26 am

Could u freeze these at some point so that u can make a big batch and nit have them go bad it saves time that way

• Reply Billie July 13, 2013 at 11:33 am

Mine, too. Even with glaze they taste like a dinner roll with glaze.

• Reply April July 13, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Does anyone know if you can mix with a handheld mixer, I don’t have a stand mixer sadly. I would love to make them for when we have family in town. Thanks!

• Reply Kathy July 17, 2013 at 3:15 am

After trying a different baked doughnut recipe in my bread machine today which was a complete disaster, I tried these. I have to say these came out perfect. With only a two and a half inch doughnut cutter, I got 22 doughnuts and holes and… it’s time for another doughnut. Thank you!

• Reply O.G August 12, 2013 at 3:24 am

Hi thx for this recipe, but ??? instead of using yeast can I use baking powder or baking soda, and can I skip the egg? lol

• Reply Sammy October 28, 2013 at 1:35 am

2.5 teaspoons

• Reply Morgan March 14, 2014 at 4:10 am

mine were gross like dinner rolls too. Lol. spent hours making dinner roll doughnuts.

• Reply Krissy's Creations April 18, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Then they are exactly the recipe I am looking for!!! Yay!

• Reply Doughnut worry, be happy! | Honey & Betts June 5, 2015 at 9:20 pm

[…] recipe I used I found on Pinterest, you can find it here. These doughnuts are approved by my baby girl and husband, they gave them two cinnamon-sugary […]