Desserts, Gluten Free and/or Paleo

Mochi

May 27, 2011
IMG_8865
I make dessert every night.  I know that’s probably not the healthiest thing, but it’s what I enjoy doing and I love dessert!  As we should all know by now :).  I eat very healthy all day and let myself enjoy a small dessert at night.
With all the desserts I make, there are definitely those days that I just want to go down the street and get frozen yogurt.  There’s no surprise that I love ice cream and frozen yogurt, and I have to get my “fix” at least once a week.  And going to frozen yogurt is so simple, easy, and fun.  You get a refreshing and smooth dessert topped with any item you want.  Ok… I’m definitely going to get frozen yogurt tonight!
My favorite topping for frozen yogurt is mochi.  Mochi is a Japanese rice cake made out of glutinous rice flour.  (PS- If you are gluten-free, don’t worry, this is not gluten flour – It is just a flour made out of a sticky rice).  The most common Americanized  (is that a word?) use of it is in ice cream.  They wrap it around ice cream and have it in the frozen yogurt shops.  If you have seen it before and haven’t tried it, I would definitely urge you to.  It’s a small treat that is chewy and slightly sweet and is SO good!
Mochi is not only good on, and in, ice cream but is great to snack on.  They are small and tasty and easy to just pop in your mouth whenever you want a sweet snack.  Our family has been snacking on Mochi for a very long time.  So you think with how much I bake I would have tried making it a while ago.  However, I just made it a couple weeks ago for the first time.  And it came out fantastic! Even better than I thought.
Mochi is actually very easy to make!  Especially this recipe I have for you.  I thought that the process would be very labor intensive, but it wasn’t at all.  All you do is mix the ingredients together and bake them in a pan for 1 hour.  Then let the mocha sit in the pan for another hour.  Invert the mocha on a surface and cut into squares.  Easy as that!  The hardest part is taking it out of the pan and cutting it because of the stickiness, but that’s not even that hard.  You just have to be careful.
The ingredients in this mochi recipe can be easily found at any Asian market, especially the glutinous rice flour.  I would suggest to the use the exact ingredients in the recipe and not substitute.  I am not sure that the mochi would turn out with any other type of rice flour or other ingredient.  Take the extra effort and go to the Asian market and trust me… you will be very satisfied!
You really have to go and make mochi soon :).  It is an amazing treat!  Its perfect to snack on and perfect added to any dessert!  And this recipe is exceptionally delicious!  The mochi has a chewy texture with a yummy sweet rice taste. Mmmmm…

Mochi (Japanese Rice Cake)
Makes: about 100 1-inch cubes
1lb. (16 oz.) Glutinous Rice Flour (Mochiko)
2 ½ cups Sugar
12 oz. Coconut Milk
1 ¾ cups Water
Food Coloring (optional)*
Potato starch for dusting (Cornstarch can be used as well)
*Food coloring is only optional.  If you don’t add any to the mochi it will be white.  However, it is nice to add a color to make the mochi pop.
In a large bowl, sift the Glutinous Rice Flour.  Add the sugar to the flour and mix to combine.  Add the coconut milk and do not stir.  Then add the water and a few drops of food coloring.  Mix together with a whisk until the mixture is smooth and has no lumps.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Line 3 9-inch circular cake pans with foil (the bottom and the sides).  Generously grease the foil with oil or cooking spray.  Pour the batter evenly into all 3 pans.  Place another piece of greased foil on top of each pan.  Make sure that the foil is touching the batter.
Bake for exactly 1 hour in the middle rack of the oven.  When finished, let the mochi cool in the covered pans for another hour.
When ready to cut the mochi, dust a clean work surface with the potato starch.  Take the foil off of one pan and invert the pan onto the surface.  Slowly and carefully pull away the foil from the mocha.  The mochi will be sticky so be sure to take the foil off very carefully.  Sprinkle some potato starch on top of the mochi.
Cut the mochi into 1-inch squares.  After cutting each square, roll the mochi in potato starch so all sides are covered.  Continue this process with the other 2 pans of mochi. Enjoy :)!
Mochi can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.  It can also be frozen for a few months.
Also, because this recipe makes a lot of mochi, I make ½ a batch at a time.  This tends to last us about a week :).
Recipe from Wiki How.

Celebrating my 1 Year Blogiversary with Strawberry Ombre Cake
Frosted Soft Sugar Cookies
Chewy Granola

• Reply Melissa May 27, 2011 at 2:38 pm

holy smokes!
    I can’t believe you made mochi! Now I REALLY can’t wait for you to come home! :)

• Reply Mom said... May 28, 2011 at 12:46 am

THAT’S WHAT I AM SAYING! :)

• Reply Kathryn May 28, 2011 at 2:50 am

Krissy I have been waiting for this Mochi recipe :) As you know, this is my childhood favorite (same with all us Winnick kids)… My brother is so lucky to get to eat this and have you make it! ( ps can’t wait to see you guys soon!) Please make this when you come home… We can make it together even…:)

• Reply Christy May 28, 2011 at 10:48 pm

OK, since I am going to miss you guys by a few days (I’ll be home the following Monday) you HAVE make enough for me and save me some (Kathryn)! Don’t know if it will keep a few days, but if it will…Mmmm!

• Reply Anonymous May 29, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Hi Krissy! Thanks for sharing this fun recipe. Although it would likely add an abundance of calories, do you think it would be possible to use confectioners sugar in place of the potato/corn starch?

• Reply Krissy's Creations May 29, 2011 at 9:21 pm

@Anonymous

Anonymous,

Thanks for visiting! Confectioners sugar should work just fine in replacement for the potato/corn starch.

Enjoy!

• Reply Lynne May 29, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Krissy,
    I just found you through the picture you posted of the mochi on Tastespotting. I cannot tell you how excited I am because I LOVE this stuff!! I’ve wanted to make it, but wasn’t actively looking for a recipe. Now I HAVE to make yours!
    Thank you so much for posting it!! Can I borrow it and link it back to you?

• Reply Krissy's Creations May 29, 2011 at 11:23 pm

@Lynne

Lynne,

Of course! I’m so glad to hear that you enjoy this recipe and are going to make it :)!

• Reply Katerina May 30, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Never hear of Mochi before but I am intrigued since it looks so much like Turkish delight

• Reply Anonymous June 3, 2011 at 4:47 pm

can you use tapioca starch for dusting?

• Reply Krissy's Creations June 3, 2011 at 5:13 pm

@Anonymous

Anonymous,
    Yes, Tapioca Starch will work just fine for dusting.

Thanks for visiting!

• Reply missfiggy.com June 18, 2011 at 9:21 pm

They sell really yummy mochi with icecream at trader joes! Idk if you have one of those near you but if you do you should definitely try it!

• Reply Anonymous June 24, 2011 at 2:18 am

Can you steam the mochi instead of baking it?

• Reply Krissy's Creations June 24, 2011 at 2:40 am

@Anonymous

Anonymous,
    Steaming should actually work just as good for cooking the Mochi. I have not done it before but have heard it works just as good, and can actually sometimes take shorter to cook.
    Good luck!
    Krissy

• Reply Ocean Frieght August 15, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Wow, looks very cute.. The color was very nice.. Can I have the other color for this? .. Looks very nice to eat. I like it. Keep it up.

• Reply Krissy's Creations August 16, 2011 at 1:41 am

@Ocean Frieght
    Ocean Frieght,
    Thank you so much! You can make these any color – Just pick whichever food coloring you like. Enjoy :)!

• Reply Anonymous September 15, 2011 at 7:28 pm

How do you know if it’s actually ready?

• Reply Krissy's Creations September 16, 2011 at 3:32 am

@Anonymous

The texture will be soft and gummy. If you take a small taste of it it will be chewy. Hope this helps :)

• Reply Anonymous September 29, 2011 at 10:43 pm

My hubby and I LOOOVE mochi. it is our fave topping for fro yo as well! I am so glad I came upon your page (Thanks to pinterest!) I will be making this very soon!!!

• Reply Anonymous September 29, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I was wondering what kind of coconut milk you used, I know there is a lot of brands out there and wanted to know if there was one in particular that is great to use. Thanks.

• Reply Krissy's Creations September 30, 2011 at 6:51 am

@Anonymous
    I have actually used different brands of coconut milk to make this Mochi. I have found that every brand that I used worked well.
    Enjoy :)!

• Reply tonie October 14, 2011 at 3:54 pm

can i use other glutinous rice flour coz i cant find mochiko :(

• Reply Krissy's Creations October 14, 2011 at 4:03 pm

@tonie
    Yes, any brand/type of Glutinous Rice Flour will work fine. Enjoy :)!

• Reply tonie October 15, 2011 at 9:37 am

haha i already tried last night it works thnx but i dont know how to cut it perfectly squares like your mochi haha can u advise me how? 😀

• Reply Krissy's Creations October 15, 2011 at 7:24 pm

@tonie
    Oh good! To cut the squares I just used a sharp knife and tried to cut the squares as even possible. I didn’t rush the process. No special techniques :)

• Reply Helen October 23, 2011 at 4:55 am

You can also roll the mochi in finely shredded coconut instead of potato starch or cornstarch. I usually steam mochi instead. Either way works fine though. If you look through my blog, you can find my version of mochi too.

• Reply Krissy's Creations October 24, 2011 at 2:52 am

@Helen
    Your mochi looks delicious! Great idea to roll it in finely shredded coconut… I’m going to try that next :)

• Reply Helen October 25, 2011 at 5:33 am

@Krissy’s Creations

Tell me how you like it when you try it with coconut. And, thank you. Your mochi looks good too. :)
    I just found your chocolate mochi recipe. I can’t wait to try it. :)

• Reply Kaylee December 21, 2011 at 4:50 pm

The mochi is awesome! It just came out of the oven and all ready looks delicious!

• Reply Anonymous March 6, 2012 at 8:43 am

How much is 160 oz is in grams ?

• Reply Holly French May 20, 2012 at 7:47 pm

What would be a good substitute for the coconut milk?  I’m allergic to coconut :(  Could I use almond milk instead?

• Reply Krissy's Creations May 20, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Hi Holly, Unfortunately I don’t know of another good substitute for coconut milk in this recipe.  However, I think Almond Milk should work.  I’d love to hear how it goes if you try it out! Enjoy :)

• Reply Lorelei Pepi June 15, 2012 at 1:12 pm

thanks for posting that!

• Reply Sarahleianna55 June 22, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Could you use parchment paper instead of the foil, or would it risk burning?  Can’t wait to try this!  I grew up on Kauai and LOVE mochi!

• Reply Krissy's Creations June 28, 2012 at 4:24 am

I wouldn’t suggest it.  Foil definitely works the best.  Enjoy!

• Reply Jennifer July 3, 2012 at 6:40 pm

do you use the full fat coconut milk?

• Reply Krissy's Creations July 6, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I actually use both low fat and full fat coconut milk and they both work the same.  Enjoy!

• Reply Cornelia September 20, 2012 at 7:25 am

Hi,

While searching the web I have found that some make mochi in the microwave. Is it possible to make this recipe in the microwave?

• Reply Anonymous December 25, 2012 at 7:27 am

Hi. I’m writing from Hawaii & I make mochi quite often being that I am part Japanese. Anyway, just a tip for cutting…use a plastic knife. Mochi doesn’t really stick and it makes it easier to cut. In Hawaii we have a mochi book at stores and there are recipes for all different types of mochi…even microwave ones.

• Reply Amber February 7, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Love love mochi. Thank you for the step by step instructions. Mine turn out with a thin crust on the bottom and around the edges. I only made half the recipe and used two pans. How do I not get the crust?

• Reply Amber February 7, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Ps I dusted my pizza cutter in the corn starch for fast cutting. Worked like a charm!

• Reply Rhonda Houchin June 17, 2013 at 4:34 pm

coconut milk in the can or the refrigerated coconut milk?

• Reply Krissy's Creations June 18, 2013 at 2:37 am

I use coconut milk in the can. Enjoy!

• Reply Broken and Dead on the Inside July 23, 2013 at 2:11 am

Dear Krissy,
    When I saw this recipe, I was delighted. After several hours of hard labor, the mochi was perfect, and ready for my 47th anniversary. My husband of 47 years choked to death on our anniversary after I served this. I am now a suspect in his murder trial. I am asking you to be my star witness. Please bring some mochi that does not taste terrible or have the consistency of rubber cement.

Yours forever and always,
    Rachel Ray

• Reply Jessicka August 19, 2013 at 6:32 pm

have to try it tomorrow :3 thanks much for your recipe!

• Reply Nana October 7, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Hi is this recipe ok to use in a big pan instead of three small ones course I tried making it ones a and the mochi was rock hard on the outside and soft on the inside?

• Reply Sammy Ruiz December 31, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I will definitely make this for new years. I love chichi dango.

• Reply Cori February 10, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Hi Krissy, I found this recipe last year and have made this a few times. It’s so delicious and so easy! My kids and I love to eat it warm because the crunchy edges are delicious that way. :) Sometimes I flavor it with almond extract, or add some cocoa powder, or I use strong coffee instead of water. Homemade mochi is one of our favorite treats!!

• Reply :) February 11, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Can you use any type of milk if you don’t have coconut?

• Reply Caroline Hüper March 5, 2014 at 6:59 pm

I don’t like coconut, what can i use insted?

• Reply Hüper March 5, 2014 at 7:05 pm

I don’t like coconut, what can i use instead?

• Reply Krissy's Creations August 22, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Would it be overflowing if I used an 8 in pan instead?

• Reply Moghana Subramaniam December 22, 2014 at 2:58 am

Can I steam it instead of baking it?

• Reply Joyce Punsalan February 2, 2015 at 2:11 am

Your recipe says you can freeze it for later and keep it for a few months …what’s the direction to freeze it … do you dust it first with potato starch then put in freezer … then thaw it out at room temperature